z

Young Writers Society

This is your brain on writing

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Interesting article in the New York Times about the neuroscience of creative writing:

New York Times - This is your brain on writing
June 20, 2014
by Carl Zimmer

A novelist scrawling away in a notebook in seclusion may not seem to have much in common with an NBA player doing a reverse layup on a basketball court before a screaming crowd. But if you could peer inside their heads, you might see some striking similarities in how their brains were churning.

That’s one of the implications of new research on the neuroscience of creative writing. For the first time, neuroscientists have used fMRI scanners to track the brain activity of both experienced and novice writers as they sat down — or, in this case, lay down — to turn out a piece of fiction.

The researchers, led by Martin Lotze of the University of Greifswald in Germany, observed a broad network of regions in the brain working together as people produced their stories. But there were notable differences between the two groups of subjects. The inner workings of the professionally trained writers in the bunch, the scientists argue, showed some similarities to people who are skilled at other complex actions, like music or sports.

Link to full article

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:15 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Pretty cool article. Interesting that novice writers and pro writers use thir brains in completely different ways, I would have thought there might be some kind of diference but not that completely different parts f the brain were used. :-)
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm
WritingWolf says...

That is really cool. I'm surprised to see that the novices and the experienced writers had such different results. I wonder how it would affect my writing if I tried writing a story by imagining the scene in my head, and then completely rewrought the same story trying to narrate it in my head. Or would it work better if I used different stories? I will have to give that a try one day...
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling