z

Young Writers Society

An Ounce of Home

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 am
Prokaryote says...

Kindle -- because why would I be going on a trip if I wanted to think about home?

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:19 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

I'd bring an old, battered copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, mainly because I've scribbled in my mum's mobile number in green ink on the back cover. Wait--will I have money? O_O Because then I could call her or something ... Guh. It's strange how humans have grown to depend on material things so much.

Or, you know what, I'll just bring a wheelbarrow loaded with books. If that counts as one thing.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 pm
View Likes
puppys3117 says...

the computer .-. that's an easy one for me XD
Life is a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

"Such is the generation of those who seek him,
Who seek your face, God of Jacob." -Psalm 24:6

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:56 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

I would prolly bring my laptop as well, but the object I'd bring to remind me of home would be my coffee maker. That way, each day on this year-long journey, I would wake up and start my day with some 8 ounces of home 8D

Anyway this little thing I had all the way from when I lived in New York as well, so it's used to the travel life. Plus, coffee is such a social thing for me, me and my sister, my grandma, my mom, we all used to have a morning cup together. And my mom would say how I burned the coffee. ALWAYS even when I didn't, she's always talking about how I burned the coffee. Fff. Then on second thought, I'd not want to remember that.

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:04 pm
View Likes
DukeofWonderland says...

One of my grandma's home-made blankets, maybe the tiny orange one with marker drawings on it (was made for the 1 year old me).
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 am
View Likes
Adnamarine says...

@Audy but remembering that could be good in one of two ways: either you're homesick and it makes you upset to remember so you stop being homesick, or it suddenly becomes an endearing memory because you're so far removed from the situation and the people.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 pm
ThereseCricket says...

Ohhh, I'd either bring my laptop, or my scribble pad. But then's there's also my book full of songs that I always like to sing on road trips, so yeah! Difficult choice!
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:45 pm
chancesnchanges says...

A family picture for me :)
“Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Live is a Play. We're Unrehearsed.” — Mel Brooks

GOD BLESS :D

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:13 pm
Sylar says...

I'd probably bring my stuffed gorilla doll, Audrey. I've had her since I was two, and I love her to death. 8) I'm so cool aren't I? :P
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:13 am
ScarletDreams14 says...

Hmm...Well probably nothing I don't need something to remind me of home. Because, how could I ever forget it? If I really had to pick I would bring most likely my red-box.
Its a red blows with ruffles on it, it has all my special belongings in it.
ScarletDreams14

A wise man once said... "POTATO IS THY LORD, FOR THE POTATO MAKES DELICIOUS FRENCH FRIES."

and that is the legend of the potato...

~Scarlet

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m26svqNCNH1qmib1so1_500.gif

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm
Lava says...

@icannothearthings - that would be cute! :D
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 pm
niteowl says...

When I went to Australia with People to People, they had us make a "hometown folder", which was a photo album of stuff was important to us: our friends, family, pets, etc. I think an updated version of that would be the object to go with...honestly, though I haven't moved around very much, the concept of home is malleable to me. I have several "homes", so one object would be difficult.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus