z

Young Writers Society

Can someone from the EU explain this please?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:01 pm
LamaLama says...

For centuries the people of Kent have called their county the Garden of England. So they might find it quite a surprise that - according to the European Union at least - they are actually part of France.

Along with next-door Sussex, Kent has been rolled in with the Calais area on a map drawn up for Brussels.

The counties now belong to the "Trans-Manche region".

Under the plans from German cartographers, the East of England has also been shoehorned into a new region, which includes Scandinavia.

The Western side of Britain has been lumped together with Ireland and the Atlantic coasts of France, Spain and Portugal.

The Tories accused the EU of plotting to undermine nation states and even "wipe Britain off the map".

Full story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=403522&in_page_id=1770
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:33 pm
Wiggy says...

Is this from an old newsletter or something? Where did you hear about that? It's just creepy...
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:34 pm
backgroundbob says...

European plan to make country borders less important, resulting in increased trade/mobility/etc throughout the European Union.

Another tentative step on the way to a European Superstate, in other words.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

52 Reviews

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:37 pm
LamaLama says...

Yeah, but that map looks like Germany is trying to Gerrymander.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:41 am
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Well, clearly, like that guy says, France is now a part of Kent. Like it should be.

I think this is conclusive evidence we need to break off from the EU. SAS to Brussells, anybody?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:51 am
backgroundbob says...

Yeah, I'm game.

Meet at six for tea, then on for the hit?
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

52 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:02 pm
LamaLama says...

Huzzah!
Wait... isn't tea at four?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm
Nate says...

Kind of looks like they're grouping it according to how all the old tribes of Europe eventually distributed themselves; although what Cornwall and Portugal could possibly have in common is beyond this feeble American mind.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:33 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Huzzah!
Wait... isn't tea at four?

I don't know what tea you're thinking of, but I'm thinking of tea as in dinner as in food. ;) Have to say though.. I did think the general teatime for the UK was seven..
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:56 pm
Wiggy says...

I don't even like tea...:D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:28 pm
Poor Imp says...

writingluver5 wrote:I don't even like tea...:D

No tea, Wiggy? 'Tis a part of civilisation, isn't it? ^_~

article wrote:Under the plans from German cartographers, the East of England has also been shoehorned into a new region, which includes Scandinavia.

German's reorganising? England? Bad sign, I say. (And I have to agree with Nate...Portugal?)
Last edited by Poor Imp on Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:31 am
-KayJuran- says...

writingluver5 wrote:I don't even like tea...:D

Wiggy, I'm shocked!

Hehe, you don't even want to know how many different types of tea I have in my cupboard... ;)
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:36 am
Teeeeo. says...

I don't think the Queen likes this plan much...

Who shall she watch over now?

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:42 am
Galatea says...

Cupboard!! yay!

The weirdest place to have tea is in Hong Kong.

Okay, the weirdest place to have HIGH tea is at the Royal Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. After weeks of green tea and rice, Earl Grey and scones aren't exactly run-of-the-mill cuisine.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

52 Reviews

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 am
LamaLama says...

Apparently, Germany doesn't know how to Gerrymander... Get 'em some guys from Texas, or Nevada... they'll show you how to Gerrymander the right way.

And I swear I've been told on numerous occasions that Tea time in the UK is at 4 pm.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman