z

Young Writers Society

Challenge Four Details and Results of Challenge Three

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:44 am
LadySpark says...

Hello, Panem. Let us first congratulate all the tributes for successfully finishing their third challenge in the Arena. They all did spectacularly. You can see their scores from Challenge Three below, along with who is moving on later in the game. Just like yesterday, the bolded names are the ones competing today. The struck out names means that the tributes have either a. forfeited from the game or b. not gotten high enough scores to move on. All the scores are updated to include Challenge Three's.

District One-
Team One
@Pompadour-9/10
@Piper-8.5/10
Team Two
@TimmyJake-7/10
@defyingravity01-8/10

District Two-
Team One
@JamesHunt- 8/10
@Wolfare1-7/10
Team Two
@dragonfphoenix- 6/10
@Storybraniac-4/10

District Three-
Team One
@Buggiedude2340-6/10
@Strange- 5/10
Team Two
@ongoeslife-8/10
@verymaryanna-0/10

District Four-
Team One
@BiscuitsBatchAvoy-8/10
@Blackwood-8/10
Team Two
@retrodisco666-8/10
@ShadowVyper-8/10

Today, the lower scorers from team one from every district will be participating in the second challenge of the YWS Hunger Games. Today's challenge will be...

Write a short story with the genre of satire.

simple and easy. Write a 500+ word essay using the genre satire.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

From the time of this post, all the tributes at 24 hours to post their edited and finished challenge. Any tribute that misses the deadline will be forfeited from the game. The scores of Challenge Four will be released at 1 p.m. EST on June the 8th.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:47 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

Shady do not bring dishonour to District Four winning family. We strong family. Bring no shame.

Jealous you have the best challenge.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:11 am
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

Good luck @ShadowVyper! I have absolutely no idea what the challenge means but I'm sure you'll be great :)

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 am
BrumalHunter says...

@SparkToFlame - Have all the lower scorers from team 1 been resurrected? If so, I should retract some of my epitaphs.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:27 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

It is with even greater sorrow that I must mourn the loss of another fellow Tribute.

Here lies timmyjake
On the Road to Triumph, he was ambushed by bandits.

Here lies dragonfphoenix
He had won many battles, but not the one against time.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:18 pm
TimmyJake says...

Sooooo... does this mean I am out?
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 pm
Willard says...

Yeah, I'm asking the same question as @JamesHunt

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

My entry~

Spoiler! :
Everyone knows the evil that lurks in many homes. That evil that comes in so many shapes, and sizes, and even colors in modern days. The ignorance of people seems to know no end. They cradle these little terrors close, bitterly clinging to them nearly as much as they cling to their old, outdated religion. They take them to shows, and competitions, and out in the woods-- acting as if they were completely harmless. As if, they, as the handlers, could control what happens. Idiots.

Some of us know the truth, though. We can see all the problems that those hicks and hunters, the same thing in most cases, seem to miss. We can see that it was the guns behind those drive by shootings in little neighborhoods in suburban neighborhoods all over America. We can see the guns working, corrupting the minds of those poor, naive souls who took the lives of so many others when they were finally driven to their breaking point.

Seung-Hui Cho wasn't a bad guy. He just struggled. Growing up he fought with anxiety disorders and depression. Many people could relate. He didn't hurt anyone, though, until he started playing with guns. It wasn't his lifelong history of mental health problems. It was his interest in guns that drove him to be the gunman behind the 2007 Virginia Tech Shootings. He couldn’t be expected to foresee the consequences of his actions. He was only twenty-three years old. He'd only been a legal adult, held responsible by the law for his behavior, for five years. He didn't know any better than to start shooting people the instant he had a gun in his hand.

Pro-gun lobbyists will deny it was the gun that hurt those poor students-- but, if you really think about it, you'd know that it was those steel monsters that wreaked all the havoc. The oily glint on the blued barrel, the shiny brass casings, and the polished wood handles—anyone with half a brain could see the sickening attempt of guns and their owners to make them look harmless and inviting.

But those who can see the truth won’t be fooled by petty external appearances. The evil of firearms and their handlers are undeniable. There can't be a shooting if there is nothing to shoot. If more laws were passed to take the guns out of the hands of those deplorable outlaws, then certainly fewer crimes would be committed.

Criminals would be the first in line to register their firearms with the government. They wouldn’t dare think of breaking the law and keeping their guns hidden, until they were needed for robberies and murders. The instant guns are made illegal, those patients with mental illnesses, those that have been nursing grudges and evil machinations, would certainly turn those terrors over to our benevolent Big Brother. The government has always had our best interest in mind. People should stop fighting, and doing what they think is best, and just submit to those smarter than they. After all, look how well it worked for the Native Americans.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:20 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Spoiler! :
You HAVE to Try This
by: defyingravity01
Human Jami

You HAVE to try this! My phone flashes up and it's from Gianna. The second most popular girl at school. My pink manicured nails slide from left to right upon my iphone 5 screen. Daddy's present naturally, award for doing well in my S.A.T's....though this math homework for my final exam was really starting to get to me. Eight messages. Like, why do iphones never flash when they need to?! I mean I missed Josh's message last night and that was #tragic

G: i tried this weird thing @ a party the other night.
G: i kno it sounds gross but everybody is doing it.
G: i jst need to say it. i ate brains & it made me smarter.
G: u should try it 2
G: J? u there?
G: come on, u know it could help with ur hw. ur always complaining abt math
G: jst say something & ill leave u alone if u want.
G: You HAVE to try this!

I roll my eyes. She bothered me about eating brains? That stupid fad? I groan and type back a message.

J: Hey G, sry.

My fingers rest for a moment. What if I just tried it? It’s not like I have to do it again. And if everyone is doing it, it might make me look even cooler than I already am. Apparently there are these stupid “zeke disease” side effects but whatever. It’s not going to affect me. So I finish the message.

J: Hey G, sry. Yea ill totes try brains. ur probs right about it making me smarter. when can we hang out?

I turn back to my math problems. I understand it. It’s not that difficult, just dull. I continue writing out a problem when my phone pings again.

G: 10 mins?
J: kk

I put away my math homework as Gianna pulls into the driveway and I run out to meet her. She drives a bright red mustang and I smirk. It’s totally hooker red. Then I grimace when I think about the things that have probably happened inside this car. I push those thoughts out of my head and as I slide into the car, I focus on the adventures ahead. This should hopefully be fun. She chatters all the way to some party she found the brains at. Apparently the guy sells them cheap. Not that I care, I just hope he has change for fifties.

When we get to the party, Gianna tugs me in and I wrench my arm out of her grasp. How dare she touch me? I quickly apply lotion to the spot she grabbed me at. My skin is sensitive, it needs moisturizing. While I apply the lotion I immediately see the table with the brains. I know there’s no going back, but whatever. Anything to be cool. I quickly select one and give the guy the money he wants. Then I pause.

“Gianna, this is fat free, right?” I ask. Gianna thinks for a minute.

“Of course it is, stupid. It’s brain. Does it look fatty to you?” I narrow my eyes without mentioning that yes, it does look fatty and so does she.

As I chew, I feel the high. Others are eating the brains as well and they dance. I see one person has particularly bad “zeke” side effects. Her hair has fallen out in patches and her skin has chunks missing. It looks like she can’t even form a coherent word. That’s what happens when you overdose on brains or when you get a bad batch. You turn into one of them, a zombie. Pretty much the equivalent of a crackhead except nobody does cocaine anymore. Brain is the new drug. That’s when I realize it. The zeke, whoever she is, wouldn’t have been intelligent enough to come to the party if she’d already been turned beforehand. She either got bit or she got infected with brains. I don’t see people panicking, so there can’t be any fully turned zombies here. Which means…

I make the connection a minute too late. My skin itches. When I go to scratch it, chunks of skin come off in my perfectly manicured nail beds. When I itch my head, my hair falls out. This pisses me off. I yell at Gianna who is turning as well.

“GIANNA YOU’RE SUCH AN IDIOT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THIS MANICURE? AND DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE HAIR EXTENSIONS AND THE LO-” Then my voice just stops. I can’t speak anymore. The next thing that comes out is just a bunch of incoherent grunts. The same thing happens to Gianna.

If I’m stuck as an undead for the rest of my life, I’ll cut the zombie hunters some slack and kill her myself.

Zombie Jami

I seize more brains from the table and shove them in my mouth. I’m hungry. I need to eat them. I stagger over to a boy. He’s hot, hotter than my boyfriend. I offer him a piece and he recoils. I smell him. Is he food?

He looks at me in alarm, trying to determine what I am. Am I fully a zombie? Or am I still half human? I eat more brain. I’m becoming accustomed to the taste. The food on the other tables is looking less and less appetizing to me. I just want brain.

I offer him the piece again. The brain is good. I try to tell him this. He needs to try it, he needs to feel the high. He needs to be smart too. He doesn’t and this makes me angry. He’s supposed to listen to me. I’m POPULAR. He HAS to listen to me. I grunt and try to put the brains in his mouth and he yells. Everybody turns towards me and they back away. Why are they backing away? I’m beautiful. I’m the prettiest thing in here.

He refuses the next piece I offer him and slaps it out of my hand. I don’t feel the pain, but that was the last of my food.

Now I’m pissed.

I grab the hand that slapped me, and everything is silent. The tension in the room is palpable. I’m pretty and he turned these people against me. I’m smart and I’m popular. But he won’t listen to me. I sink my teeth into his wrist and people start screaming.

I want his brain. As soon as I taste his flesh, I know the brains I’ve been eating are stale. And I realize, just like a crack addict, I’m willing to kill to get my high. I need this and he needs it too. I’m so much better now. I’m better than I was. They were wrong about the “disease”. My parents are always wrong, and I’m always right.

Let this be a warning to the rest of you who want to defy my status as the most popular girl, like, EVER and not eat brains when I tell you to. But seriously, Brains really are amazing and you HAVE to try them.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:02 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

@Sparktoflame
I think you are confusing your writers:

Write a short story with the genre of satire.

simple and easy. Write a 500+ word essay using the genre satire.

the 'genre satire' indicates fiction. If you wanted essays then you would have just said 'satire'.

Just pointing this out because it seems you have two entries of each type so far.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:13 am
LadySpark says...

@JohnHunt sorry, this was an old copy of scores that I accidentally pasted instead of the right ones. Everyone's scores are the same as they were before. @Blackwood, I apologize for my terrible typo :P tributes, it may be a story as well.

Sent from my Nokia using TapaTalk
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill