z

Young Writers Society

Courting Nostalgia

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 pm
BaronFlame says...

There are stories that stay with us through life. Some of them we heard from from someone when we were young, some of them we read and there were some which somehow implanted themselves in our brains(X-files?).
Some of the best short stories and essays I've read surprisingly came from one of my textbooks. Having said that time has deteriorated my memory and I only remember fragments of some of the stories I read, which makes me feel, oh so old.
Nyhoo I was wondering if any of you can help me find these. A few of these I've found, the rest I could use some help with. For those interested, the book I read these stories in was called 'A miscellany of short stories'. It's essentially a collection of short stories that were included in syllabus for the ICSE 2006 examinations. Nyhooo enough of my blabbering, Here's the list of stories :-

1. Umbrella man - Found

2. Without glasses
From what I can remember it was a story about a person who had been running away from wearing spectacles because the ones he had tried were for some or the other reason uncomfortable.

3. Postmaster -Found

4. The liar
The story was about a village idiot who loved telling stories about fighting monsters. The narrator had a fight with him, they reconcile and then he weaves about this fantastic tale of how he got injured.

5. Self made men -Found

6. The lady and the tiger - Found

7. Jenny

8. Happiness

9. The night the bed fell -Found

10. Out of business
It's a story by R.K Narayan. I found multiple summaries of this story but not the story itself.

11. A high dive
Another tricky one, if I remember correctly it was about a stranger walking in a circus, getting hired for doing an outrageous dive in a shallow pool and walking away without anyone knowing who he was.

12. The imp and the crust -Found

13. The war - Found
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins

"I did it! I finally killed Batman! In front of a bunch of vulnerable, disabled kids!!! Now get me Santa Claus!" - Joker

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves