z

Young Writers Society

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

what came first, the chicken or the egg?

The chicken
36%
The egg
33%
I dont care as long as I have an omelette for breakfast,
30%

Total votes : 33

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu May 29, 2014 9:08 am
View Likes
Elinor565 says...

The title says it all. That question that left experts mulling for hours before coming up with pages of scientific mumbo jumbo.
so what do you think? The chicken? Or the egg?
I'd say it's the chicken. Since I'm a creationist and all.
Debate away! :-)
"Writers live twice.”
—Natalie Goldberg

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am
Dutiful says...

Lollll idk and idc xD I could probably debate on this but I'm soooo tired at the moment...
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

The egg. The dinosaur came before that.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Mama Chicken came first.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 am
KaiTheGreater says...

The egg wouldn't have hatched without a mother chicken to sit on it. And it would need a mother chicken to show it how to survive once it did hatch.
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 pm
lostthought says...

The dinosaurs evolved into a chicken. The strange bird animal had to lay the future chicken egg
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm
CesareBorgia says...

Science suggests that in evolution, a genetic mutation layed the first chicken eggs, meaning the egg came first. :wink:
Cesare
Proud Writer of the Week judge

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Spotswood says...

The egg, because you wouldn't have the actual chicken without it.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu May 29, 2014 3:30 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

@Spotswood, you wouldn't have a egg without a chicken either. ;)

Actually, I think it's rather dumb that a T-Rex would decide he's got a better chance as a chicken. Seriously. A T-Rex is at the top of the food chain, and a chicken is somewhere next to bunnies and naked molerats. I wouldn't even call it 'evalution' because that would indicate that evolving's going on... and that's not really evolving in to something better. Which is often what evolution is argued to be: something better.

If I had to go with one or the other... I'd say chicken was created first. :p
But since there's no way of knowing for sure. I'll just eat my omelette in peace.
100% autistic

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu May 29, 2014 4:55 pm
StellaThomas says...

Well obviously a) the chicken came from a little dinosaur, not a T-Rex and 2) it didn't happen immediately. In fact the chickens we have now probably arose from millenni of human breeding - like the domestic dog! I mean a miniature poodle wouldn't survive in the wild either but it still probably outnumbers the wolf these days!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Evander says...

Neither, evolution is not that simplistic.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Thu May 29, 2014 5:04 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Er...
A circle has no beginning?
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 pm
WritingWolf says...

The thing about the "it has to have been the egg because they evolved from dinosaurs" confuses me. I mean, if we're talking about evolution, at what point does something stop being a shoot-off of something else and start being it's own thing? I mean I'm sure there was a long time between dinosaurs and chickens when you had a funny-looking dinosaur that would one day be a chicken.
In my mind, the chicken became a chicken (and not a funny-looking dinosaur) when it became different enough from a dinosaur that the name dinosaur no longer applied. Now tell me, if the eggs look so similar, how are you gonna tell that the thing inside doesn't look similar to a dinosaur until the egg hatches? You aren't. So therefor, a the first chicken wasn't a chicken until it hatched. While it was in it's egg it was the egg of a funny-looking dinosaur. So even though it's the same creature, it wasn't a chicken until it hatched. It then went on to lay eggs that were chicken eggs because it's parent(s) was a chicken.
My point is while the first chicken was in it's egg, it wasn't a chicken yet. (I mean if it was in it's egg and it grew into something that looked like a chicken, but just before hatching it's legs where covered in scales and it's down all fell off, that wouldn't be a chicken anymore, so the only way to be sure the baby dinosaur-chicken in the egg will in fact be a chicken is to wait for it to finish developing a.k.a. hatch) It didn't become a chicken until it hatched (and it was certain that it wouldn't lose it feathers and grow giant teeth).
So the chicken came first.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Even if you believe in creationalism, eggs still win! Seeds are a form of egg -- i.e., a fertilized embryo with male and female parts -- and God made plants and stuff first. SO. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu May 29, 2014 7:28 pm
KaiTheGreater says...

@WritingWolf, just because we can't see it yet doesn't mean it's not a chicken. If the chicken is there because of evolution, it had to have come from the egg- it would still be a chicken's egg before it hatched.
When I say 'chicken's egg', I'm referring to the animal that hatches from it as the owner, not the parents. If a chicken randomly popped out of a dinosaur egg, I'd be a little concerned!
I, myself, am a creationist, though. I believe that God would have given the chicken a mother to look after it, because everything needs to be loved. Even chickens. <3
I guess the answer all depends on your beliefs of how life came to be.
@Snoink, I don't understand your post. If the egg is made from male and female parts, wouldn't there have to be a male and a female to create it? Also, when you said God made plants first, do you mean before He made seeds, which would mean the chicken before the egg?
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain