z

Young Writers Society

"My Reviews Aren't Good Enough" Syndrome

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 am
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Lately I’ve been seeing an upswing of YWS folks who don’t think their reviews are any good, and this is causing them a lot of undue stress which makes Lauren super sad. :C

And so as resident Review Doctor Extraordinaire, I figured I’d just do a mass diagnosis of everyone on YWS and offer my collective remedy for this terrible ailment.

Step One: Examine Your Reviews
Now, we’re going to do a little self-diagnosis here so don’t get carried away. This is a very simple process, with very simple criteria for determining whether your review is awesome or not. So grab your nearest review and consider the following:

1. Were you polite and thoughtful in your review?

Being courteous and kind is the first step toward being an awesome reviewer! And being thoughtful means you didn’t just slap something in the textbox for some points; you read the work and spent at least a few minutes really thinking about the work you just read.

2. Did you include at least one point of praise?

Reviews are meant to be encouraging! Whether the writer describes their settings really well, has super well rounded characters, or just had a really nice phrase or two you liked there’s always something to point out that has been done particularly well.

3. Did you include at least one point of critique?

Reviews are also meant to be instructive and helpful! Personally, I’d like to count this one point of critique as something other than grammar/spelling nitpicks but I suppose I’m willing to let that slide if you’re really getting into that sort of thing in your reviews. Just like praise, there is always something a writer can improve on. Maybe their description is too vague to picture clearly, or maybe there’s a hole in their plot. Don’t worry if you feel like you’re repeating yourself/other reviewers either! When more than one person agrees that something is an issue in a piece, the writer is able to understand better what needs to be improved than if just one person points something out.

And that’s it! That’s all there is to it! So long as you’re hitting these three criteria in any fashion, you’re writing reviews like a total pro. So go out and spread that reviewing magic with the eager swarms of YWSers who would be honored to have your insight on their work!

Okay, so I get that sometimes it just isn’t enough to know you’ve got the basics down. If you’re still feeling self-conscious about your review quality, or if you think you might not meet those three criteria, here are some ways to try to improve your reviews! (And, just like in writing, we’re all always improving!)

1. Check out awesome guides like Nate’s Critique Sandwich, Emerson’s How To Write A Good Critique, and Tenyo’s Battle Tactics: Reviewing the Unreviewable. There are also a lot of other critique guides in the YWS section of the knowledge base.

2. Read up on technique, style, etc! The Knowledge Base has loads of awesome articles written by YWSers about all kinds of writing. Not only are these wonderful sources of information for our pursuits as writers, but being more knowledgeable about writing allows us to better critique the writing of others!

3. Stalk, Flatter, Seek out your favorite reviewers. Is there a YWSer whose reviews you find particularly helpful? Send them a friendly PM and ask for tips! Every member of YWS staff is overjoyed to answer these kinds of PMs, and I’m sure plenty of non-staff members are equally as interested in sharing their advice. If you’re not brave enough to get that social with a reviewer you admire, try reading several of their reviews and pick out for yourself what you think makes it a good review and emulate it.

4. And finally, the best reviewers on YWS got that way because they did a lot of thoughtful reviews for other YWSers. As they say, practice makes perfect, and the more time you spend working on helpful, thoughtful reviews the better they will become and the more helpful you will be as a reviewer.

Got YWS?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed May 28, 2014 9:59 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

You're amazing, Lauren. :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

'Stalk, Flatter, Seek out your favourite reviewers.'
I love this!
Nice list of tips, Lauren :)

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:59 pm
View Likes
Mikko says...

This is great, Lauren! Especially when you've been away for so long and you've forgotten how to review. :)
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

Ooh, thanks, Lauren! This helped loads. :D

(I sound stupid, but is the Wilfred gif symbolic of change? I recognized it as the same episode Ten regenerated.)
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:13 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Bumping because I love you and this is perfect.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40 am
View Likes
CesareBorgia says...

You're amazing!
Cesare
Proud Writer of the Week judge

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Who's the cutie-patootie giving me a wink at the end there? 'Cause I like it.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:42 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

Nice tips Lauren! I haven't been around for a while but when I did reviews I used to get a bit put off if other people have reviewed and already made the points I was going to say. But maybe saying it anyway just reinforces the fact to the writer that it's a valid point so it's worth saying anyway?
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte