z

Young Writers Society

Share Your Cringe-Worthy First Stories

If your first story was randomly selected to become a Hollywood script you would

Share your success on Twitter, Facebook and blog about it every day
14%
Change your name and wear a mask to the premiere
14%
Beg them to pick a more recent story
25%
Proudly play all the characters yourself
18%
Find out who is pulling the April Fools prank
30%

Total votes : 44

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu May 22, 2014 7:39 pm
rawrafied says...

First story was a Harry Potter fan-fiction...yeah...

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 pm
View Likes
ongoeslife says...

I don't remember many of my early stories... But the first one I posted on YWS, 8 years ago when I was 9, was a historical fiction about a girl living in South Dakota. Now, I am a Floridian, and I had never been outside of Florida at that time, nor had I done any research. My description of where she lived kind of offended someone who actually lived there. XD She was trying to remember when she had last seen her father, and "unless she counted dreams, she hadn't seen him since his funeral." (DUHHHH!!!!!!!)

It was SOOOOOOOOO terrible. I only had maybe 200 words, and gave up. XD

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

My first story was about an alligator that forgot to brush his teeth. He ended up with tooth-ache, the poor thing. :P
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 pm
StoneHeart says...

My first story was about 45,000 words long so ... :I

Luckily I rewrote it multiple times over the years and am now working on the second draft of the original novel based off of that first idea. Still, it HURTS to look at it.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri May 23, 2014 3:04 am
wakarimasen says...

In hindsight, with regards to my first serious writing endeavor, I'd probably let them use it; I'd just make sure that it's one of those movies that's dramatically different from the book. ;)

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri May 23, 2014 3:24 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

My first story was about a kid who fell off a bridge, lost the lower half of his body, and the doctors replaced it with a spring...I have no idea what logic I was under but after that he was a super hero. I never got far enough to think of how his springs would allow super hero powers.

This was written when I was 6.

I am told my stupidness was very cute. This word still confuses me.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 pm
View Likes
GreenLight24 says...

I think the first story I ever wrote had something to do with a cat named Scooter who had to save his planet from an invading mollusk menace. I was like 8. The sentences weren't all coherent. But it could make a decent kids film...if kids these days are into cats fighting octopi and riding electric scooters. :shock:
"My Wellspring of Wisdom told me so!"

-Victorique De Blois, Gosick.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon May 26, 2014 2:32 pm
View Likes
Hecate says...

My first story was about a pink flamingo who lived in a talking house. The pink flamingo solved mysteries and was a boy. I even illustrated it. I think I was seven or eight at the time.

To be honest, it might not have been amazing but it sounds cute now that I think of it, Mr. Pink Flamingo solving mysteries.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon May 26, 2014 4:04 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

My first story?

It was one of three (I can't remember which one): "Tarot the Penguin Ballet Dancer," "Punishments for Wicked Children," or "Melusine and Ramsgate's Skeleton Lake," all written within me being seven and nine years old.

The first was about a pretentious emperor penguin named Tarot who was a ballet dancer. He was incredibly vain. He thought he was marvelous because, whenever he danced, he closed his eyes, so he was completely unaware of that fact that he regularly destroyed things. In one installment, he caused a whole opera house to burst into flames.

The second, "Punishments for Wicked Children," was about a dark angel named Pandora who created a bomb to alter reality in New York city to punish all of the bad children. The main character was Tyson Greener, who found the magic bomb in the middle of Central Park. When it exploded, it warped the fabric of the world: for example, the sky was pink and red with black clouds shaped like hands, the Empire State Building was floating, the giant bronze Balto statue in Central Park was alive and chased people, and black vines covered every surface. Pandora went around the destroyed city collecting all of the bad children and putting them in a black box that she carried with her. I never finished it, so she's still collecting bad children and Tyson is still searching for his friends in the city's ruins.

In "Melusine and Ramsgate's Skeleton Lake" a young man, Ramsgate, and a young woman, Melusine, become stranded in a dark forest. While they are walking through the woods, they come upon a lake of black water. Suddenly, shadowy forms begin to rise from the murky depths and the two wanderers realize that the lake is filled with living skeletons. Most of the narrative is dedicated to describing their struggles with the skeletons. It remains unfinished, so Melusine and Ramsgate have been fighting those infernal creatures for more than a decade!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm
deleted3 says...

@Cole those stories are incredible for the age you wrote it! I'd actually recommend you rewrite and finish them, now that you are older and wiser. I'd buy those books!
Love to Live, Live to Love <--- My Motto
http://ekarimbvundula.blogspot.com <--- My Blog
Follow me on:
https://twitter.com/EtherealEmber <--- My Twitter

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Melusine is a really pretty name. And those are really cool stories.

Anyway, posting again because I was reminded of my glorious song-writing past here: Yay or nay?.

The first song I wrote was entitled "Reading My Room"

I love my room
My room is full of gloom
I love to read my room
Reading my room

Note that I didn't know what "gloom" meant, just that it rhymed. I think I was 5.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed May 28, 2014 7:38 am
deleted3 says...

So, I've been inspired by all of your brave contributions to the topic, and have decided to post one of my early works! I started writing this story when I was 14 years old, and I've written so much that I think it's worth finishing. A lot of it still seems cheesy to me, but I hope I can get some YWS help to polish the gold out of it (wink to @Prokaryote ) :D Reviews and comments welcome:

The Psychic Circle: Chapter 1
Love to Live, Live to Love <--- My Motto
http://ekarimbvundula.blogspot.com <--- My Blog
Follow me on:
https://twitter.com/EtherealEmber <--- My Twitter

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 pm
View Likes
Crunch says...

Let's see, the first story I ever wrote... well, it's been quite a while, perhaps six to eight years, but I think I remember the plot.

It was about this kid that got struck by lightning when he was walking home one day and suddenly gained the superpower of manipulating electricity. So, like any other sensible child would do in that situation, he went on to fight crime. After he realized that he can summon a sort of electric skateboard to help him travel faster, I decided to trash it because I was too lazy to keep going.

Or maybe the sensible part of my subconscious was telling me to kill it with fire.

The funny thing is, the character's name was Adrian Wells. In another (thankfully scrapped) story that I had begun to write years later, the main character (who, interestingly enough, also possessed electric superpowers) was named Arcus Wheeler. Both of these names were intentionally created to be similar to my own. Why? Because for some reason, my past self was really lame like that.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying."

-Arthur C. Clarke

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss