z

Young Writers Society

I'm curious...

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed May 14, 2014 7:59 pm
deleted5 says...

Was just thinking but I reckon most members (including me) have no idea what the old YWS looks like. I was wondering if any veterans would mind posting a couple of pictures of the old YWS if they have them?
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

It will take me time to fish up possible pre-Apollo things, and even longer to dig up the Ancient YWS from Before My Time. In the meanwhile, here's what chat looked like in 2010.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

I can do you a better. Look what I found!

YWS Over The Years
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu May 15, 2014 3:02 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

It looked like a girl without make-up -- simple and honest, but you didn't dream about it.

... as opposed to this new design, whose curves I grasp voluptuously.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 15, 2014 4:44 am
View Likes
Nate says...

One thing the screenshots @lostthought awesomely linked to don't show is the set-up of the site has changed dramatically over time. Up until about 2008 or 2009, the entire site was a forum. The literary area and groups (clubs nowadays) were laid out like the Forums tab is now, and profiles were pretty much just the default forum profiles with a guestbook attached. Today though, only the Storybooks and Forums sections are still forums.

Also, up until August 2009, there were various themes you could use, which was really cool but a pain to maintain. The most heavily used one was Chimped Out, which was designed by @Bobo. It was a dark style, and while I unfortunately have no screenshots of it, I do still have the graphics for it. I've attached a few below in the spoiler:

Spoiler! :
The background for the banner across the top of Chimped Out:
bannerbg.jpg

The logo for Chimped Out:
banner.jpg
banner.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

Chimped Out also featured Bartemius in the bottom right corner with a quote bubble (not shown) above him:
bt_right.gif
bt_right.gif (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

@Lumi ->> I miss that old chat. If the guy who made it had stuck with the development of it, YWS would probably still be using it.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu May 15, 2014 7:09 am
ScarlettFire says...

It still had forums for Literary in Feb/March 2010, and did so for a few months, I believe. I remember posting works in forums. I think you started working on Apollo in 2010 sometime, @Nate.

@Lumi, old chat! Wheee!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe