z

Young Writers Society

Which Fictional Cesspool would you rather Live in?

Which fictional cesspool would you rather live in?

Mordor (Lord of the Rings)
No votes
Airstrip One (Nineteen eighty-four)
No votes
Omega (Mass Effect)
7%
Westeros in the Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire)
7%
District Twelve (The Hunger Games)
36%
Nar Shaddaa (Star Wars)
7%
Tatooine (Star Wars)
14%
Gotham (Batman)
7%
Super-Mega-Death-Hell-City (Manborg: The Movie)
No votes
Other (Please Specify)
21%

Total votes : 14

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed May 14, 2014 7:16 pm
Spotswood says...

So I am back for another one of my polls, today's being which fictional cesspool would you want to live if you had a choice. Imagine that you are being held at gunpoint by Satan and he is saying that you have to choose or else he will eat your soul.

Mind you that some of these (a lot being dystopian) would actually be rather fun to live in, despite the danger and chaos, but we do tend to romanticise dystopianism.

Alright, let us begin.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed May 14, 2014 7:41 pm
deleted5 says...

Tough decision but I'll have to go with "The Time of the Reaper" by Andrew Butcher. The school in particular seems like a real cool place to stay in a dystopian world :3
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu May 15, 2014 1:16 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Ankh-Mopork, Discworld. It may be dirty but at least the crime is organised, and you'll have a laugh.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Thu May 15, 2014 3:26 pm
Iggy says...

*points to location*
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu May 15, 2014 3:52 pm
MrGreen says...

Interesting Question. I think I would have to go with the 'Dying Earth' by Jack Vance. Its strange and unnatural aspects are rather fascinating; despite the fact that most things that live there will try to kill you. Still plenty of opportunity for adventure there.
Never be afraid to admit that you are wrong; because if you are then the truth will often elude you.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu May 15, 2014 4:19 pm
Caesar says...

StellaThomas wrote:Ankh-Mopork, Discworld. It may be dirty but at least the crime is organised, and you'll have a laugh.

right this yes
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

29 Reviews

Thu May 15, 2014 5:18 pm
Spotswood says...

Has anyone seen the quality movie Manborg? It's a little known canadian film that had a 1000 dollar budget with 80's special affects and stopmotion fighting scenes.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

29 Reviews

Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

Wait, who chose Omega from Mass Effect? It doesn't let me check poll voters.
-R.U.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Spotswood wrote:Wait, who chose Omega from Mass Effect? It doesn't let me check poll voters.

Thaaaaat would be me. Who doesn't like a cesspool of violence, pirate gangs/organised crime, clubs, Asari strippers and questionable morals? Hell yes!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

29 Reviews

Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 pm
Spotswood says...

ScarlettFire wrote:
Thaaaaat would be me. Who doesn't like a cesspool of violence, pirate gangs/organised crime, clubs, Asari strippers and questionable morals? Hell yes!

I just beat one a week ago in 12 hours (accumulative since I got it in April) since I didn't like the sidequests. Started two right away and loved it from the beginning. Omega is like a toned down version of Nar Shaddaa. NS makes Omega look like a resort, yet Omega Station, in some ways, is darker. I refer to the Morinth quest...

Just did it this morning at like 5 AM since I get up early. The VIP club was so...dark, twisted, and even macabre in its own, unique way...
-R.U.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat May 17, 2014 6:18 am
ScarlettFire says...

My boyfriend's been playing it. He finished one a while back and is nearly done with two. I can't remember Nar Shaddaa, so I might need reminding. But yes, Omega Station is...darker. And Morinth. That was kinda sad. XD

The most disturbing mission was that Overlord one. Nugh, screeching loudly at you in a electronic voice. x.x I hated it.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

29 Reviews

Sat May 17, 2014 3:41 pm
Spotswood says...

Nah, Nar Shaddaa is way darker and creepy. Omega was more dystopian, but the bar reminded me of Jek Jek Tar.

kotor 2 was a surprisingly creepy game.
-R.U.

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov