Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Seconding Life of Pi.

Title: The Little Prince
Author: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Genre and keywords: "Speculative fiction," according to Wikipedia (if that means anything to you), children's literature, fairy tale, spiritual.

What's it about?
A pilot crashes in the desert. Alone and short on water, he is understandably surprised when an earnest voice says, "Please. Draw me a sheep." The voice belongs to the Little Prince, a boy from a planet the size of a house. Through the course of the novella, the pilot learns the prince's story--and a lot about his own life.

Why you should read it: It's simple yet complex--an easy read, not very long, humorous and beautiful, yet it really makes you think.
This book would suit you if: You want something short and on the fantastical side. You are in touch with your inner child or wish you were in touch with your inner child. You want to read something that understands children and adults both.

Plus there are pictures. (If you remember my last avatar, it was the Baobabs.)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 pm
Rook says...

Seconding Ender's Game and The Little Prince.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun May 18, 2014 11:38 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Seconding The Little Prince (which I'm going to try again to read in the original French) and The Raven Boys.

Title: Code Name Verity
Author: Elizabeth Wein
Genre: Historical
What's it about? Oh dear, how to describe without spoilers? It's the story of two young women in World War Two. When one is captured in France by the Gestapo, she gives in and writes out a confession, where she tells of her friendship with Maddie, and all the events which culminated in their friendship and her arrival in France.
Why you should read it: It's one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking novels I've ever read. It conveys the wonders of friendship and the atrocities of war in an absolutely stunning way, and the characters are so beautifully crafted that you just fall for them. The relationship between the two main characters is just perfect, and it isn't cheapened by a romance. It's about friendship, and it managed to make me laugh and cry.
This book would suit you if: You have any interest in WW2, if you want a book with strong, memorable female characters or if you want a book that will draw you in emotionally.
Title: Life in Outer Space
Author:Melissa Keil
Genre: YA
What's it about? (I'm just going to be lazy and copy the blurb: Sam Kinnison is a geek, and he’s totally fine with that. He has his horror movies, his nerdy friends, World of Warcraft – and until Princess Leia turns up in his bedroom, he doesn’t have to worry about girls.

Then Sam meets Camilla. She’s beautiful, friendly and completely irrelevant to his life. Sam is determined to ignore her, except that Camilla has a life of her own – and she’s decided that he’s going to be part of it.

Sam believes that everything he needs to know he can learn from the movies ... but now it looks like he’s been watching the wrong ones.
Why you should read it: It's a fairly light read that's perfect for holidays, with lovable characters, nerdy references and brilliant humour, but it's also very sweet and swoon-worthy.
This book would suit you if: I don't know... you're a bit of a nerd, if you're looking for a book to make you happy, if you like a little romance.
(Just a note, I'm not sure about the availability of this book outside Aus. I know it's being released in the US but I'm not sure when. Still, there's always the internet).
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Reviews: 4
Sun May 18, 2014 12:28 pm
View Likes
spottedkit says...

Title: Everlost
Author: Neal Shusterman
Genre: Fantasy
What's it about? A boy and a girl whom are involved in a car crash find that they lost their way to the light, and ended up in the forest beside the road. They discover things are very different in the afterlife and have to survive, with the help of a boy who has long known the afterlife.
Why you should read it: It's a great adventure, and fun to read.
This book would suit you if: If you enjoy adventures, you are curious about the afterlife, or you like fantasy [No princesses though].

Title: Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie
Author: Jordan Sonnenblick
Genre: Realistic Fiction
What's it about? It's about a boy who has a little brother with cancer. He goes through a lot as his brother receives treatment, which makes things a bit different than he is used to.
Why you should read it: It's interesting to read, and with the mixture of funny and sad it's a great book.
This book would suit you if: you like realistic fiction, you like to read stories about fighting cancer, you are a high school-er

Title: Freak the Mighty
Author: Rodman Philbrick
Genre: Realistic Fiction
What's it about? Two boys, one with robotic body parts and the other being huge. They help each other with challenges in each other's lives.
Why you should read it: It's a great story about friends who help each other and take care of each other.
This book would suit you if: you like realistic fiction, you are a middle school-er, or you like uncommon friendships

Title: George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
Author: Thomas B. Allen
Genre: Biography
What's it about? The title's long enough to tell you what it's about, probably. It goes through how the Americans spied and worked together to win.
Why you should read it: It's a history lesson with the lack of boring. It's more of an adventure through a person's viewpoint.
This book would suit you if: you like history, you like adventure, you like spies, or you like mystery/suspense

Title: Left for Dead: A Young Man's Search for Justic for the USS Indianapolis
Author: Peter Nelson
Genre: Non-fiction
What's it about? For the first chapter, it's more about the boy finding people from the boat to interview and learn from. After that, it goes into what happened and what it was like to be on that boat.
Why you should read it: It really happened, and you could learn something new. It's surprising what the guys on that boat went through.
This book would suit you if: you like boats, you like war books, you like history

Title: The Nine Pound Hammer
Author: John Claude Bemis
What's it about? It's about a travelling healing/circus group, which hides a secret. The main characters at the beginning are orphaned siblings.
Why you should read it: It's a fun story to read, and adventurous.
This book would suit you if: you like mystery, you like fantasy [No princesses], you like reading books

Those and any book on the 2011-12, 2012-13 or 2013-14 BOB list.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...

Maybe I'm a little bit slow but I am seconding Ender's Game and also Jellicoe Road!
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon May 19, 2014 5:32 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I'm definitely down to read Hitchhiker and Ender's Game. I've been meaning to read both and keep forgetting to. Maybe this will force me to read them this summer. x)

Seconding TFioS!

Title: The Thieves of Heaven
Author: Richard Doetsch
Genre: Modern
What's it about?

Spoiler! :
The most closely Guarded treasure on Earth.

An explosive ancient secret.

A breakneck journey into the heart of the Vatican.

In a small, heavily fortified room just north of the Sistine Chapel, a master thief is about to strike. All he needs is an instant-to steal the most important treasure in the Vatican museum: two antique keys-one gold, one silver-that protect the secret of salvation..

But a surprise awaits Michael St. Pierre deep inside the Vatican, an ancient secret so explosive, it sends him running for his life from the streets of Rome to a small stone church in Israel with two stolen keys and a terrible realization: the consequences of his desperate, brazen act are far greater than he could ever have imagined.

For the treasure he has uncovered the gleaming prize buried within the most clandestine structure on earth is about to bring him face-to-face with an enemy more shocking, frightening, and insidious than anyone can guess....

The Thieves of Heaven is the story of Michael St. Pierre and his race to steal two keys from the Vatican in order to save the life of his dying wife. Swept from New York City to Rome to Jerusalem to Berlin, Michael is drawn deeper and deeper into a world of deadly deception where the consequences of his thieving actions are far worse than the loss of a single life.

At the heart of the story though, underneath the suspense and mystery, is how far a man will go to save the life of the woman he loves.

Why you should read it: It is SO good. I'm not even kidding. This book is amazing. It isn't overly religious; it just has to do with the Vatican and why these two keys are so important.
This book would suit you if: you're okay with books that center around religion. I myself am not very religious but I assure you, this is so good and is worth a read.

Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Science Fiction/Romance/YA
What's it about? The book is about Earth being invaded by a parasitic alien race, known as "Souls", and follows one Soul's predicament when the consciousness of her human host refuses to co-operate with the takeover of her body.
Why you should read it: Please don't let your opinion on Twilight sway you. This book is ten times better than Twilight was. It's amazing; it's got a great backstory and lots of creativity and originality. Meyer took this idea of aliens and turned it into something amazing. Plus, it's way better than Twilight.
This book would suit you if: you're willing to look past your personal hatred for Twilight and give Meyer's book another try. >_>

Title: The Green Mile
Author: Stephen King <3
Genre: Uhhh... Realistic with a twinge of fantasy? I'm not sure, exactly. >_>
What's it about? It tells the story of death row supervisor Paul Edgecombe's encounter with John Coffey, an unusual inmate who displays inexplicable healing and empathetic abilities.
Why you should read it: It will make you cry ;^;
This book would suit you if: you enjoy books set in the 1980s that center around a black man charged with the rape and murder of two little white girls, a man with a urinal infection, a mouse that can do tricks, a jerk named Percy Wetmore, an electric chair and the green mile. Oh, and if you're a big Stephen King fan <3

*falls onto knees and begs people to give If I Stay a try. <_<
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 am
birk says...

Is it possible to veto something?

If so, I'd very much like to veto 'The Host'.

No, just no. :(
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm actually not going to allow vetoing (otherwise Pork's post would have cancelled out a lot of books!) If you don't like a book of course you don't have to read it, but I'm not going to stop it being on the list. For instance, I would veto Ender's Game, but there's clearly a lot of people who like it and would like it to be on the list, so I'm going to put it on the list!

Shall I say list again? List.

Also, on an entirely unrelated note, I'm actually going to second The Host. I flipping adored that book. I read it. Twice. In one weekend. Before a major set of exams. It was a great weekend.

Sorry I've been so behind on updating said list, I've got a big exam this morning (hence why I'm on YWS) so I just haven't had time to do all the formatting, but I will get an updated version up tonight!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon May 19, 2014 3:24 pm
Holysocks says...

Seconding The Princess Bride a million times over!!! ( !!!! )
100% autistic

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon May 19, 2014 4:01 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Here is an updated version! *breathes and collapses*

@TriSARAHtops - I've actually only ever read Le Petit Prince in French (ooh Stella look at you aren't you so sophisticated) so I've put up both the French and English versions! To other people considering this - it's actually a super easy read en francais as well! (Plus you can pretend to be really sophisticated. Like me.)

Confirmed Books

Spoiler! :
Classic
Watership Down by Richard Adams - Demeter
Lord of the Flies by William Goldman - HighTop
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen - Snoink
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut - Stella Thomas
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Stella Thomas
Le Petit Prince/The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - BlueAfrica

Fantasy
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - Sachiko
Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce - Rosey Unicorn
Cat Steps by Rosey Unicorn - AriaAdams
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart - spottedkit1999
Deathless by Catherynne M Valente - Sachiko
American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Sachiko
The Princess Bride by William Goldman - Sachiko

Science Fiction
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Birkhoff
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - Birkhoff
The Hitchhiker's Ultimate Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - GoldFlame
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - WritingWolf

Young Adult
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Stella Thomas

Other
The Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruis Zafon - Sachiko
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - Lumi
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - Snoink
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - Birkhoff

And below is a summary of books of suggested books!

Spoiler! :
1 vote

Classic
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy -Stella Thomas
Othello by William Shakespeare - Demeter
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut - Stella Thomas

Young Adult
Jellicoe Road by Marlina Marchetta -Sachiko

Fantasy
Immortals Quartet by Tamora Pierce - Rosey Unicorn
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - fortis
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - Lava
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie - AriaAdams
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling - lostthought

General
City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende - AriaAdams
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - Sachiko
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Demeter

Science Fiction
The Host by Stephenie Meyer - Iggy

Suggestions

Classic
Dracula by Bram Stoker - HighTop
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - megsug
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - megsug

Young Adult
If I Stay by Gayle Foreman - Iggy
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - Iggy
How I Live Now by Meg Rossoff - Stella Thomas
Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil - TriSARAHtops

Fantasy
The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle - WritingWolf
Thief of Always by Clive Baker - AriaAdams
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - Snoink
The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens - spottedkit1999
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Sachiko
Everlost by Neal Schusterman - spottedkit1999
The Nine Pound Hammer by John Claude Bemis - spottedkit1999

Superhero
Vicious VE Schwab - Sachiko

General
The Green Mile by Stephen King - Iggy
I Am Apache by Tanya Landman - Rosey Unicorn
The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella - Demeter
Map of Time by Félix J Palma - AriaAdams
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk - Strange
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby - Strange
The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick - Strange
Science Fair by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson - Strange
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - TriSARAHtops
Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick - spottedkit1999
Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick - spottedkit1999
The Thieves of Heaven by Richard Doetsch - Iggy

Poetry
A Guide to Folktales in Fragile Dialects by Catherynne M Valente - Lumi
The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - Lumi

Science Fiction
The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells - GoldFlame

Non-Fiction
George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War by Thomas B Allen - spottedkit1999
Left for Dead: A Young Man's Search for Justice for the USS Indianapolis by Peter Nelson - spottedkit1999
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm
WritingWolf says...

Oh, I forgot one book!
It was originally written in Italian, and then translated to English. I haven't read the original (I don't speak Italian, even though it's a beautiful language), but the translated version is quite good.

Title: The Last Dragon
Author: Silvana De Mari
What's it about? The last elf, Yorsh, struggles to survive in a flooding world. Yorsh befriends two humans who gladly travel with him, until they find the dragon. At which point, in an attempt to stop the unending rain, Yorsh stays with the dragon as his companions travel on.
Several years later the dragon reveals several secrets to Yorsh. He is then whisked away into fulfilling an age-old prophecy.
Why you should read it: A heartwarming tale of friendship and love. With a wonderful balance of action, adventure, love, and humor. It is well written and a wonderfully enjoyable read. (And for those of us who like audio books, I found that the audio book was read very nicely)
This book would suit you if: It is a children's book. So naturally anyone from the ages 8-12 would love it. But it was done in such a way that older teenagers and adults can easily fall in love with this story too. If you're the type who occasionally (or frequently) enjoys going back to read childhood favorites, you'd probably take a great liking to this book.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 am
View Likes
Willard says...

You put Slaughterhouse Five on both things.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

285 Reviews

Reviews: 285
Tue May 20, 2014 2:42 am
View Likes
GreenTulip says...

Title: Wuthering Heights
Author: Emily Bronte
Genre: Classical/Victorian

Summary: A lovemstpry that follows two generations. One that will be sure to krepn ypou turning through the pages.

Animal Farm
George Orwell
Historical

Twists around communism and the Russian revolution.Shortish but good.

Night
Elie Wiesel
Biography

Follows the authors stor. He is a Jewish man.,

(Sorry for misspellings)
Life works in funny ways sometimes. Some get hurt, others go through without a single bruise. I could tell so many stories of how I got each scar that is scattered across my flesh.

494 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 am
Holysocks says...

I think this thread got broken... or maybe only for me?
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2014 4:16 am
Holysocks says...

Oh, never mind it's working...
100% autistic

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss