z

Young Writers Society

The Collective Summer 2014 Booklist!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue May 13, 2014 3:34 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hi guys! So Northern Hemisphere Summer is fast approaching. Beach holidays, long lazy afternoons and nothing but time stretching out in front of us, we'll all be reaching for a good novel to while away the hours. But what are you going to be reading?

It struck be that it might be a fun idea to get together a YWS collective booklist!

This would be a list of books that we as a family/community consider "must-reads" - whether they're classical, contemporary, realistic or fantasy, kids, young adult or adult - books that you think that we should all read. Even if we got like forty or fifty books on it, and then people can pick and choose the ones that they want to read, and then come September we can look back and think "Wow, I'm so much better read than I was back in May!"

I am proposing this system:

1. Somebody recommends a book using the format below.
2. Two other members second this book to go onto the list.
3. Book goes on the list which I will be compiling as we go along!

You can recommend books that you've read yourself and want to recommend to others, or things you are planning on reading this summer!

Use this pro forma to nominate a book:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Title:[/b] [i][color=#0000BF][size=150]Put title here[/size][/color][/i]
[b]Author:[/b]
[b]Genre:[/b]
[b]What's it about?[/b]
[b]Why you should read it:[/b] Put here the things that you think make this book a must-read!
[b]This book would suit you if:[/b] Who would this book suit? Is there a particular age group? Personality type? Can you think of reasons why some people might like this book more than others?

I'll get the ball rolling with two nominations myself:

Title: Anna Karenina
Author: Leo Tolstoy
Genre: Classic fiction
What's it about? Anna Karenina is a beautiful Russian aristocrat married to a quite famous politician. But she begins an affair that is altogether pretty destructive with a young, fairly intense soldier by the name of Count Vronsky. Alongside her story is the story of Levin, a rich young man who lives in the Russian countryside and is in love with Anna's sister in law, Kitty.
Why you should read it: Anna Karenina is considered one of the best novels of all time, and that alone makes it one you should put in your pile. Despite being a bit of a leviathan, the prose is very easy to read and the characters really keep you on your toes. It is an incredibly rich, complex book,
This book would suit you if: If, like me, you're going to have a lot of time on your hands without the internet, then this is one to put in your suitcase, because (depending on your edition) it is between 600 and 800 pages long, and the characters have three different names each! It might be for a slightly older crowd, but who knows? Also, if you're @Meshugenah.

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction
What's it about? Hazel Lancaster is a sixteen year old with terminal papillary thyroid cancer whose only real friends are her parents and America's Next Top Model, until she meets Augustus Waters, a seventeen year old recovering from osteosarcoma following a below-knee amputation at Cancer Kids Support Group. A love story ensues.
Why you should read it: Even though it's a modern book aimed at a teen audience, Green doesn't spare on language or themes. This book is chock-full of big questions, memorable quotes and tear-jerkers. Plus, there's a movie coming out next month and it is sure to be one of the books of the summer, so if you haven't read it then you'd better so you can talk to your friends knowledgeably about it!
This book would suit you if: I think this would suit essentially all ages (although maybe PG-13). It would especially suit you if, like me, you think a lot of "cancer books" really romanticise it - this book's portrayal of the disease is really realistic and pretty raw.

So, if you would like to second my suggestions, or make your own, then go right ahead! I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Y'all probably know what I'm gonna recommend.

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Genre: YA
What's it about? A young girl's life is turned upside down when her family gets into a car accident. Caught between life and death, she has a choice to make: do I stay or do I leave?
Why you should read it: Because it's a real tear-jerker. Seriously. It teaches you the values of family and slaps you in the face with the reminder that, hey, you aren't immortal. You will live and you will die, so live life to the fullest.
This book would suit you if: This book is targeted towards young adults. It's very sad and hits close to home. It's also gonna be made into a movie this August with Chloe Grace Moretz. :D There is also the sequel, entitled "Where She Went", which is also so good.

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA
What's it about? A senior in high school who is apart of the "populars". She and her friends like to torture a girl, a girl who will commit suicide. And then Sam is forced to relive the same day over and over for a week, trying different ways to make things right and save the girl and possibly save herself along the way.
Why you should read it: It's amazing. It really makes you think about real life and your life and how you treat people. It's something everyone can relate to, if you have been bullied or are the bully.
This book would suit you if: you're into teenage novels. This has minimal romance.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue May 13, 2014 7:00 pm
View Likes
Sachiko says...

Hi. This is going to be awful. Bear with me beCAUSE BOOOKS. I'm also going to steal all the summaries from wikipedia and amazon sorry.

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Genre:Fantasy
What's it about? Karou who an art student living in Prague and also a messenger/ tooth finder for Chimaera.
Why you should read it: Because Prague which is awesome and Chimaera which are also awesome and also it's just really cool. It'S TOTALLY A SERIES TOO so lots of books?! Yay!?
This book would suit you if: You like awesome stories about awesome people.

Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Fantasy
What's it about? the novel is narrated by Alina Starkov, a teenage orphan who grows up in the land of Ravka before her entire life changes after unexpectedly harnessing a power she never knew she had to save her best friend.
Why you should read it: Because dude some of the world building is so rich i seriously just want to eat it. All of it. also, series. more books.
This book would suit you if: You're into Russian inspired stuff. And magic. And Villains who are completely evil but also maybe not evil but mostly probably definitely evil.

Title: Deathless
Author: Catherynne M Valente
Genre: Fantasy (WOW A LOT OF FANTASY ON THIS LIST WOO)
What's it about? Adaption of the Russian Folklore legend of Koschei the Deathless, taking place in roughly 1930-40s
Why you should read it: Because reasons. A lot of them involving feels and ridiculously quotable passages and also gloriously beautiful beautiful writing.
This book would suit you if: RUSSIAN. FOLKLORE.

Title: Vicious
Author: V. E. Schwab
Genre: Superhero
What's it about? SUPERHEROES but no seriously. Follows two college students/men who figure out the secret to becoming a super hero. They then try to kill each other.
Why you should read it: You should totally read it if you like super heroes and anti heroes and also vaguely scientific reasons for reasons that are also reasons.
This book would suit you if: SUPER HEROES.

Title: Shadow of the Wind
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Genre: Historical mystery fantasy maybe? The first two, definitely.
What's it about? A ten year old boy discovers a book written by an author who has mysteriously disappeared. Also, book labyrinths.
Why you should read it: Ridiculously atmospheric and at times extremely creepy, which are all excellent things.
This book would suit you if: you're a book lover who also loves reading books about books.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 13, 2014 7:03 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Title: Circle of Magic, Sandry's Book
Author: Tamora Pierce
What's it about? A bunch of kids who have a bunch of powers they know nothing about and they have to learn to control them, while learning to work together.
Why you should read it: Proper Noble Woman who hates getting her hands dirty and is rather naive but doesn't get treated any worse because of it, and finds her own place in the circle that's just as important as those with more "impressive" powers.
This book would suit you if: If you like coming of age stories with lots of personal exploration, mistakes, and learning to love yourself no matter what has happened to you!
Extra Notes: First book in a quartet. Have not read other books.

Title: Immortals Quartet, Wild Magic
Author: Tamora Pierce
What's it about? An orphan who finds her place in the world and learns to control her magic to defeat a powerful new threat on the horizon: semi divine beasts straight from the realms of the gods.
Why you should read it: There's lots of stuff about finding your own place when you're Different and learning to not care, even though you're scared.
This book would suit you if: You kind of have to like animals, considering the number of animals with speaking parts.
Extra note: First book in a quartet, recommend whole series!

Title: I Am Apache
Author: Tanya Landman
Genre: Historical fiction (with a touch of fantasy)
What's it about? It's about an Apache warrior who becomes a warrior to avenge her brother, right at the time the United States wants to expand into Apache territory. Forgone conclusion if you know history.
Why you should read it: It is an absolutely fantastic account of Apache life and the struggles they faced with the US, and it's a beautifully constructed plot
This book would suit you if: You enjoy different accounts of history!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue May 13, 2014 7:29 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

I'll be back with my list - but seconding Shadow of the Wind
Seconding @fortis with Name of the Wind. (I know @carbonCore will agree on this. IT IS BRILLIANT. YOU MUST, @StellaThomas!)

I'll give a couple of different genre faves

Title: The Gift of Rain
Author: Tan Twan Eng
Genre: Historical/Literary Fiction
What's it about? Set in Penang, 1939, this book presents a story of betrayal, barbaric cruelty, steadfast courage and enduring love.
Why you should read it:I loved the intricate tale it wove with some really nice imagery. It's good. Okay? Take my word for it!
This book would suit you if: Who would this book suit? If you like historical fiction centred around the war times, this would be a good read. Also, if you've seen some of the places in Malaysia, this provides an interesting historical perspective.

Title: The Emperor of All Maladies
Author: Siddhartha Mukherjee
Genre: Science non fiction
What's it about? The Emperor of All Maladies is a magnificent, profoundly humane “biography” of cancer—from its first documented appearances thousands of years ago through the epic battles in the twentieth century to cure, control, and conquer it to a radical new understanding of its essence.
Why you should read it:So, I adore science and my interest in cancer biology partially stemmed from reading this.
This is a great book if you enjoy science, want to see how some aspects of medical profession and clinical research have grown over the years etc.
This book would suit you if: you like science. Or want to try non fiction science.

Title: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Author: Scott Lynch
Genre: Fantasy fiction
What's it about? Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld's most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful — and more ambitious — than Locke has yet imagined.Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld's most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful — and more ambitious — than Locke has yet imagined
Why you should read it:It has a wonderful spin on fantasy, a great world and some well drawn out characters. Also, major cussing presents in the pages.
This book would suit you if: you think you will like Name of the Wind as mentioned by @fortis

P.S. All bookinfo taken from goodreads
Last edited by Lava on Wed May 14, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue May 13, 2014 8:03 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I'm seconding Anna Karenina! I'll be reading it too :)

Title: Watership Down
Author: Richard Adams
Genre: Classic adventure, apparently?
What's it about? I actually haven't read it yet (but I'm going to), so I can't be very detailed, but it's about a rabbit society. And according to the animated TV series, there's a lot of gore and blood. o_0
Why you should read it: Because it might be great!
This book would suit you if: I don't know yet!

Title: Othello
Author: William Shakespeare
Genre: A tragedy play
What's it about? Othello, the Moor of Venice, and his lieutenant (I think) Iago, who holds a grudge against him because he promoted silly Michael Cassio instead who can't even fight. Iago plans to make Othello pay!
Why you should read it: Because it's Shakespeare, and because it's really great.
This book would suit you if: you enjoy meticulous maliciousness and amazing scheming skills and "Noooooo!" moments!

Title: The Shopaholic series
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Chick lit
What's it about? Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who can't take care of her own finances.
Why you should read it: They're really funny, and they're a perfect summer read. I finished the whole series in about two weeks last summer!
This book would suit you if: you want something easy and fun to read and are not one of those people who think that every book you read should be intellectually challenging!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue May 13, 2014 8:07 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

I'm gonna second Sachi's Shadow of the Wind choice too. It also has romance and humour even some horror-ish elements, but actually just specifying its genre would kind of be a spoiler xD

To go on.. Bear with me too. I'm staying at 5, but really, that's such a small number...

Title: Map of Time
Author: Félix J. Palma
Genre: historical fiction/sci fi steampunk/fantasy/mystery kind of thing
What's it about? Here's what Goodreads says:
Set in Victorian London with characters real and imagined, The Map of Time boasts a triple play of intertwined plots in which a skeptical H.G. Wells is called upon to investigate purported incidents of time travel and to save lives and literary classics, including Dracula and The Time Machine, from being wiped from existence.

What happens if we change history? The author explores this question in the novel, weaving an historical fantasy as imaginative as it is exciting—a story full of love and adventure that transports readers to a haunting setting in Victorian London for their own taste of time travel.
Why you should read it: Because it's amazing. Really, though, the writer is great in setting the atmosphere and characters are just beautifully crafted. He also likes run on sentences, I must warn you, and the style is somewhat old- fashioned, but it just really fits with the story itself. It's also quite unpredictable and has lots of twists and turns.
This book would suit you if: you like to be tricked and confused in a fairly masterful way, and also adore Victorian era and time traveling.
As an extra note, it has a sequel - Map of the Sky - which I haven't seen yet so I'm not sure if it's even published, but it can be read as a standalone book as well.

Title: City of the Beasts
Author: Isabel Allende
Genre: Uh.. fantasy/mystery/adventure..?
What's it about? Again, Goodreads;
Fifteen-year-old Alexander Cold is about to join his fearless grandmother on the trip of a lifetime. An International Geographic expedition is headed to the dangerous, remote wilds of South America, on a mission to document the legendary Yeti of the Amazon known as the Beast.

But there are many secrets hidden in the unexplored wilderness, as Alex and his new friend Nadia soon discover. Drawing on the strength of their spirit guides, both young people are led on a thrilling and unforgettable journey to the ultimate discovery.
Why you should read it: The characters are well developed and they all grow and change as the story progresses. It's filled with information and descriptions of the area and people, but in a non-infodump way. It's also a story of growing up and finding inner strength and importance of friendship and family, so it can be read on different layers and fit more than one taste.
This book would suit you if: you want a standalone novel with an interesting story which keeps you curious and perhaps even scared from time to time.

Title: The Blade Itself
Author: Joe Abercrombie
Genre: fantasy
What's it about? Goodreads was long on this one, so have it enspoilered.
Spoiler! :
Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman Captain Jezal dan Luthar, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glotka a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

Why you should read it: It seems like just another fantasy novel, but really these characters and twists are so fresh and different it's wonderful.
This book would suit you if: ...if you're not a fan of happily ever after and having all the cool characters look cool and end up equally cool. If you like layered characterisation and lots of mystery and character relationships.
As a note, this is the first book from a trilogy and it needs the other two books (Before They Were Hanged and Last Argument of the Kings). I strongly suggest reading them all, but really really be ready to lock it somewhere safe in case you get the need to burn the whole thing after finishing, especially if you're a fan of everything ending the way it's supposed to :mrgreen:

Title: Thief of Always
Author: Clive Baker
Genre: fantasy.. with horror elements
What's it about?
Thief of Always tells the haunting story of Harvey, a bright 10-year-old who is suffering from the winter doldrums, and of a creature who takes him to a place where every day is filled with fun, and Christmas comes every night.
Why you should read it: It's a weird idea and sort of random at moments, honestly, but it has some interesting characters and twists, and manages to create a really uncomfortable feeling about the House and the whole thing going on there.
This book would suit you if you can imagine something truly being too good to be true.

Title: Cat Steps ;)
Author: @Rosey%20Unicorn
Genre: fantasy... mystery, adventure..?
What's it about? "Kerani of Shira is supposed to be a proper noble woman, but an ideal magic combination has made her a bodyguard for her own family. Magically connected to her relatives more deeply than any hired help, she's the last line of defence against the assassinations that run rampant in a family vying for power. When her sister, and most important ward, leaves the family to marry the Crown Prince, she tries to find a new purpose by going through the family connections. In the process, she discovers a plot that undermines the very fabric of trade. And puts her family at risk."
Why you should read it: Because of the atmosphere, the characters, the original take on magic, the plot.. that your pick.
This book would suit you if you want to read a fantasy novel set in a somewhat unusual setting, with really well though of plot and characters, even though it's really just the first draft =P
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue May 13, 2014 8:11 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Great! Shadow of the Wind makes the cut! :) I'd also like to second City of the Beasts!

EDIT - @Demeter, I didn't even see your post! I'm going to second Othello, because it's on MY list.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

Title: Lord Of the Flies
Author:William Golding
Genre:YA
What's it about?A group of young English boys land on a deserted island. They try to build a fun and functioning society, that quickly descends into chaos. Coupled with the threat of a monster on the island!
Why you should read it: Great characters! Seriously, I love 'em! Also a grim view of our society!
This book would suit you if: If you like a fun story with tonnes of twists and amazing characters, this is for you! If you like extremely complicated, flowery and extravagant writing and phrasing, this may not be for you. It's very simply written.

Title: Dracula
Author: Bram Stoker
Genre:Horror
What's it about?A solicitor goes to Dracula's castle to advise him on buying property in England. Soon, he realizes that he is being held prisoner there. His wife becomes worried, and her best friend is growing dangerously and mysteriously ill)
Why you should read it: It's fantastic! I loved the diary-entry style of the book. The characters were good, and the underling themes of repressed female sexuality and lust were quite interesting. It's also very well written and unique!
This book would suit you if: You like horror stories! A good mystery (Even though we all know how this story goes) and you don't mind the unique diary-entry style of writing.

Love me some classics! XD
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

I second Watership Down, Dracula, Circle of Magic, and Immortals Quartet.

I'll be back to make other recommendations.
Test

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue May 13, 2014 8:29 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Seconding Lord of the Flies - fantastic book, probably in my all-time Top 3!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Seconding @Sachiko's Deathless by Catherynne Valente and Catsteps by @Rosey%20Unicorn. If you haven't started the latter already, then get on the bandwagon before we become a cult following.

Title: House of Leaves
Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Genre: I say Love. Wiki says Horror, but...
What's it about? I'm lazy, so I quote Amazon.
The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams.

Why you should read it: It's beautiful and will affect you and really meta...and will teach you trains of narration you wouldn't have thought of before.

This book would suit you if: You want to have your preconceptions of narrative challenged. You want something off-kilter and hauntingly remnant long after finishing.

Title: A Guide To Folktales in Fragile Dialects
Author: Catherynne M. Valente
Genre: Poetry
What's it about? This particular collection of poetry uses Valente's favored fantasy style to sew together poems about love and haunting loss. It's beautiful and hurts in retrospect.
Why you should read it: Because no summer reading is complete without fantastic poetry.
This book would suit you if: You're a poet who loves beautiful free-verse, OR if you're a prose-writer and are interested in entering the world of poetry--her style is an excellent gateway between the two forms.

Title: The Lover's Dictionary
Author: David Levithan
Genre: Poetry / Love
What's it about? Love / Loss
Why you should read it: Beautiful voice, fluid words, masterful execution.
This book would suit you if: Poets looking for excellent poetry.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

Title: The Island of Dr. Moreau
Author: H.G. Wells
Genre: Science Fiction
What's it about? It starts with the usual, a man getting trapped on a deserted island. The Island of Doctor Moreau. I can't give much more without spoiling things. I guess I'll mention suspicious experiments, and the man fearing he'll become the next victim, the next object of Dr. Moreau's attention.
Why you should read it: It's modern fiction interfused with literature. Well-paced and well-written.
This book would suit you if: you enjoy science fiction, adventure, and horror. For all age groups.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue May 13, 2014 10:38 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author:J.K.Rowling
What's it about? 11 year old Harry Potter is just a regular kid who lives with his aunt, uncle, and cousin after his parents had a car crash when he was 1. Or so he thinks. One night his life changes when the first letter is put through the slot.
Why you should read it: Come on, it's Harry Potter. Why wouldn't you read it? Plus there is magic and "TROLLS IN THE DUNGEON!"
This book would suit you if: If you love Magic. Plus another 6 books. Get to reading you Muggle.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

Title: The Name of the Wind
Author: Patrick Rothfuss
What's it about? An epic tale of Kvothe, a living legend who uses his exceptional skills of trickery, quick wit, and musical talent to reach his goals. We follow his story through his own telling of it beginning at his childhood. Meanwhile, Kote, an innkeeper and the great Kvothe's shell struggles with being a that legend. There also might be a bit of mysterious romance.
Why you should read it: It's the best book I've ever read. But if that's not enough for you, it contains magic that seems almost more like science then magic, it has crazy people that maybe aren't so crazy, the characters are super relatable even though you probably have nothing in common with them, the author's voice and tone and descriptions are so vivid. It's a true adventure.
This book would suit you if: You enjoy long books, fantasy, and amazing stories, you would like this. If you can't stand long books, I would still recommend this. (the sequel is even longer xp)

I'd like to second Shadow of Bone and House of Leaves.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina