83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 am
View Likes
Dutiful says...

Title: And Then There Were None

Author: Agatha Christie

Genre: Thriller/Mystery/Crime

What's it about?Ten people, each with something to hide and something to fear, are invited to a lonely mansion on Indian Island by a host who fails to appear but leaves a recording accusing all of undetected murder. Cut off by his orders, one by one each die according to a nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians. A confession in a bottle solves how nobody remains alive

Why you should read it: Agatha Christie is the greatest writer ever and this book is certainly the best of her works. The ingenuity of the murders and the fact that the story is based on a nursery rhyme is why you should definitely check it out.

This book would suit you if: I would recommend this book for all those who love a good crime novel. The crimes in itself are a little disturbing, so I would recommend it for people who don't get triggered by it. The writing is a bit formal as it was written a very long time ago, so people over the age of thirteen may be able to understand it.

Title: Artemis Fowl

Author: Eoin Colfer

Genre: Young Adult/ Fantasy

What's it about? Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.

Why you should read it: It's just one of those stories that you will just adore! It doesn't compare to the HArry Potter series, but Artemis Fowl has his own charms and he was my childhood superhero, with his brilliance and whatnot. It's just one of those stories you have to read!

This book would suit you if: This book can be read by absolutely anyone!
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Tue May 27, 2014 8:09 am
View Likes
Brunnera says...

I have read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It was a really fine work for a crime-fiction fan like me.
My favourite book from her would be the above, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Murder on The Orient Express . Agatha Christie was the best writer ever C: Her works are ingenious and stunning.
Artemis Fowl seems very interesting. :D I will go and check it out in bookstores.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Seconding And Then There Were None!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue May 27, 2014 4:35 pm
LadySpark says...

Title: Looking For Alaska
Author: John Green
Genre: Teen Fiction/Romance
What's it about? A young man goes to seek his 'great perhaps' at an Alabama boarding school, where he meets the best friends of his life, and watches his best friend and crush, Alaska, destroy herself.
Why you should read it: It's a great representation of what teenagers do when they have no supervision, plus it's funny, full of cool last words and it's just an all round amazing book, with great characters.
This book would suit you if: Who would this book suit? Any teenager, though it has some mature themes so I'd rate it 15+.

Title: My Life Next Door
Author:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Genre: Teen Romance
What's it about? Two teenagers have lived next door to each other almost their entire lives, but until now, they had never spoken...
Why you should read it: It is a GREAT teen romance novel with a happy ending. Cute little first love read on the beach type of book.
This book would suit you if: Who would this book suit? Teenage fangirls who love a good romance story.

Title: Eleanor and Park
Author:Rainbow Rowell
Genre:Teen fiction/romance
What's it about? Two teenagers from very different backgrounds meet during the 1980s.
Why you should read it: It's another great summer reading book. It's got a pretty sad and frustrating ending, but it's a really good book.
This book would suit you if: again, any teen fangirl who loves a good tear jerker.

Title: burned
Author:Ellen Hopkins
Genre:The only thing I can think of is... plotted poetry?
What's it about? After being caught out with a boy, main character Pattyn is forced to live on a farm with her aunt for the summer. There she meets Ethan, whom she falls in love with. Her abusive father comes back to fetch her after the summer is over and she is forced to deal with the consequences of her romance.
Why you should read it: Oh god, it's so sad. sooooo sad. But it's also great and the poetry gives it a really dramatic flare.
This book would suit you if:Anyone who likes poetry and a good plotted romance.

Title: Letting Ana Go
Author:Anonymous
Genre: Teen fiction
What's it about?The main character finds herself falling into an eating disorder without meaning too, and she can either stop or die, but she doesn't want to stop, and she doesn't think she'll die...
Why you should read it: If you've ever wondered about the world of eating disorders and other mental illness, this book--written in the same style as "Go Ask Alice", is a must read. It's an amazing eye opener.
This book would suit you if: Several disturbing themes that I wouldn't suggest for anyone younger than 13 or 14.

Title: wintergirls
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: Teen fiction
What's it about?Lia is struggling with an eating disorder. She's locked in an always winter world, and she can't seem to get out.
Why you should read it: Another eyeopener that I think any teenage girl should read. It's all about overcoming your demons and finding sunlight inside of you. It's a wonderful read for anyone who's struggling, to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how underground you are.
This book would suit you if: hmm, more disturbing themes. I wouldn't suggest it for anyone under 15 or anyone that something like that would be triggering for.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed May 28, 2014 8:56 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Title: Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
Author: Maria Semple
Genre: General Fiction
What's it about? Bee Branch is a young girl with a highly eccentric (and wildly notorious) mother, Bernadette Fox, who's also her best friend. Then, with a general distaste for Seattle and an impending family trip to Antarctica, Bernadette disappears.
Why you should read it: It's a heartwarming, hilarious, easy read told in scraps of letters, memos, and emails. The story couldn't be told outside of such a non-traditional format.
This book would suit you if: You would like this book if you like mother daughter relationships, eccentric protagonists, Antarctica, or general small-town drama acted out large-scale someplace like Seattle.

Title: The Blue Sword
Author: Robin McKinley
Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult
What's it about? Harry Crewe, daughter of a nobleman, has been orphaned and sent to live with her brother in a country across the sea. She's generally displeased with her life until she's kidnapped by the King of the Hill folk and finds herself thrust into a world of magic and adventure.
Why you should read it: It's an awesome coming-of-age story with a strong female protagonist. Plus: magic! And giant cats. Also, a pleasant and sensible romance sideplot.
This book would suit you if: This book would suit you if you like swordfighting, adventure, strong female protagonists, and magic!

Title: Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Author: Holly Black
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Supernatural
What's it about? Tana wakes up the morning after a raging party to find almost all of her friends have been slaughtered by vampires. So of course she embarks on a quest to take her ex-boyfriend - recently bitten - to the nearest Coldtown where he can be locked away with all the other vampires. Oh, and did she mention, she might have been bitten as well?
Why you should read it: If you hate Twilight but love vampire stories with a little (realistic) romance. Coldtown isn't the perfect vampire book, but it's one of the best I've read in a long time.
This book would suit you if: This would suit you if you like vampires, a little forbidden romance, and strong female protagonists!

I'd also like to second If I Stay and Freak the Mighty!
Got YWS?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 pm
birk says...

So how did it go everyone?

Of the ones mentioned among our suggestions I have read;

The Dresden Files - Storm Front by Jim Butcher
The Dresden Files - Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I'm also expecting Leaves of Grass by Mark Z. Danielewski in the mail any day now. Really excited for that one.

Actually got quite a lot of reading done this summer, but not many from this list.

You guys?
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green