Reviews: 425
Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 am
Nate says...

Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills
Pediatricians report increasing requests for 'academic doping'

By Victoria Clayton
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 11:16 a.m. ET Sept. 7, 2006

A 15-year-old girl and her parents recently came in for a chat with Dr. James Perrin, a Boston pediatrician, because they were concerned about the girl's grades. Previously an A student, she was slipping to B's, and the family was convinced attention deficit hyperactivity disorder was at fault — and that a prescription for Ritalin would boost her brainpower.

Read The Whole Thing

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:47 am
Snoink says...

Parents are stupid.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:59 am
Doctor Kitty says...

^^^
I concur.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
LamaLama says...

Wow.... Thats a problem right there.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:30 pm
tinny says...

What? Ritalin was meant to help them concentrate better?

One of my close freinds was misdiagnosed as having ADHD when she was young and they put her on Ritalin. It really messed up her health, and probably her head too. She's still not compleatly there.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

52 Reviews

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:27 pm
LamaLama says...

No, ritalin is meant to level you out. It makes you less hyperactive. Its only good in very extreme cases. I've seen kids on ritalin, they weren't able to concentrate any more than usual, but they weren't the hyperactive problem that they had been without it. They were a lethargic problem.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:25 pm
Galatea says...

Oh no! It's terrible! B's! Not from our daughter!

Doctor, isn't there a miracle drug that can fix our child, in desperate need of help? She's so troubled! So vulnerable! So impressionable! We can't have a child who recieves nothing but straight A's!

*blinks*

I'm with Snoink on this one. Parents are stupid.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:33 pm
Sureal says...

Gee, you'd think they'd be proud of their daughter. B's aren't a bad grade.
I wrote the above just for you.

52 Reviews

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:46 pm
LamaLama says...

I've known many a student who would freak out at anything less than an A+. I've known many a student who's parents would do the same.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:11 pm
Galatea says...

That's so weird...a C is average, so a B must be *ABOVE* average! Geez! Why so picky? Grades don't determine college attendence anymore anyway.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

52 Reviews

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:24 pm
LamaLama says...

I believe the "it reflects on my parenting skills" card comes into play on that one.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:12 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Lama, change your sig.

Parenting styles have a lot to do with how a child inevitably turns out. Shooting kids up with drugs is no way to influence their kids' overall chances of success.

Say 'NO' to drugs! :p
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:59 pm
Black Ghost says...

That is really retarded. Who puts their kids on a drug to make them get better grades? I'm glad my parents aren't clueless like them.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:12 am
backgroundbob says...

Interestingly enough, this is absolutely not a problem in the UK; no recorded instances of it, as far as I could find.

Completely different attitude toward education, here, and definitely a different one toward drugs. I was always amazed at the way American media advertised drugs, as if your average guy was going to be able to recommend to his doctor what he should have, based on what his TV says. That's what your doctor is for, for crying out loud: telling you what treatment you need.
It's filtering over here in small quantities, but in general you'll go to your doctor and take what he gives you, no try and convince him that what you saw on TV really is good for you... which is probably partially why you don't get these problems in the UK.

Anyway: sort yourselves out! All children should be above average :P
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:17 am
Snoink says...

Sureal wrote:Gee, you'd think they'd be proud of their daughter. B's aren't a bad grade.

If I don't get straight A's, I lose financial support from my parents. So it's a more real problem than you'd like to think. ><
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato