z

Young Writers Society

Seeking Straight A's, Parents Push For Pills

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:28 am
Wiggy says...

B's aren't bad. I used to, and sometimes still am, a complete maniac with getting straight A's...but seriously that's stupid.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:00 am
backgroundbob says...

If I don't get straight A's, I lose financial support from my parents. So it's a more real problem than you'd like to think. ><
All or nothing with you, eh? Perfection or 'screw it, go out and get a job.'

Good times :(
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:55 am
deleted6 says...

When i was younger i almost got put on it. My dad kicked up Mary Hell though so i'm okay. Sheesh though thinking drugs can solve anything that just like scientests.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:29 am
LamaLama says...

not necisarily. Its just like a physician. A scientist is characterized by not resting until the absolute rightest answer is found. Hence all the hubub about pluto being a planet or not. Most scientists wont resolve themselves to medicine unless they know its absolutely correct.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

266 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:28 pm
backgroundbob says...

This is why science should still be considered a branch of philosophy.

Good intentions, endless squabble.
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:07 pm
LamaLama says...

Yeah, but science has something that philosiphy will never have: practicality, and reasonable evidence.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

266 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:33 pm
backgroundbob says...

There's lots of evidence for some philosophical topics, and less for others, just as in the same way there is plenty of evidence for some scientific theories, and very little for others. Much quantum theory, for example, is all conjecture.
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:38 pm
LamaLama says...

Thats why its theory. Nothing about philosiphy is fact, however.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 am
backgroundbob says...

Nothing about science is fact: all scientific "facts" are based on one assumption, that the world as we know it will continue in the way we know it. That's just a belief, making science no more than one more belief system like religion or the various philosophies.
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:04 pm
LamaLama says...

*headdesk*
At the "nothing in science is fact" statement, which I have already dealt with, I will respectfully withdraw from this argument. As I belive that the factlessness of science argument is so full of itself, that its got stuff coming out of its eyeballs.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx