The Weekly Writer

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:33 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Employee of the Month Update

FatCowsSis

Hey, you guys!

Usually at this time I'd be bringing you another lovely interview with the splendid Employee of the Month (EOTM). But this month we have a special situation. Our EOTM, @JayeCShore, has decided to leave our little group here at the Academy. So, instead of bringing you my interview with JC, we have a special treat.

For the first time ever, we are announcing EOTM here, in The Weekly Writer. This month's lovely EOTM is the one and only @lostthought.

I, for one want to thank Lost for EVERYTHING that she's done for the AOW (Academy of Writing) and TWW (The Weekly Writer). Although the role of EOTM focuses on the AOW, Lost has been a huuuuge help in both places. And I really want to thank her for that.

Hmmmm, now I'm wondering who's confused by all the abbreviations...get over it I'm sorry.

So, all of you pleeease give a huge congratulations to lostthought. Spam her wall, PM her like crazy, I don't care. Just make her feel appreciated. Because she is.

So, in conclusion here today, a huge thank you to lostthought as our new EOTM. I'll hopefully bring you an interview with our EOTM next week. But if not, then I'll see ya next time!

-FatCowsSis

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:33 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Practice to Be Perfect

Written by timmyjake

Writing is a difficult art to master, and even more difficult when you see all these other wonderful, eloquently-written stories. But everyone begins somewhere. It takes more than talent to captivate readers. It takes dedication and perseverance, a combination of many things to make it whole.

So how does one improve their writing skills? How does one build upon that concrete bottom to add experience and knowledge?

The answer lies in practice.

I had a vision of becoming a marathon runner, but I didn’t run a marathon the next day. It took over a year of training before I attained that level of running. The first weeks were filled with walking, with a few running spurts thrown in. Gradually, those “runs” converted over to actually jogging on the roads—without walking the entire way. A year later, I was able to run a marathon, but training didn’t stop there. It never stops. You must continue running to keep yourself in shape, and prepare for the next race—working harder to run the next faster.

Writing works the same way. It's common knowledge that some of us aren’t meant to write, just like some of us aren’t meant to run. None of us were made the same, and all of us are better at different things. But everyone who picks up a pen, inspired by an urge to create a story or poem, can become a better writer—one word at a time.

I once read an interview with a famous author, Eion Colfer (Artemis Fowl). The interview was short and didn’t really focus on how he became a New York Times Bestseller, but the section that was dedicated to helping other writers had three pieces of important advice in it. I remember the first because it held a lot of weight in just a few words.

Practice. Write every day even if it’s only for ten minutes. Remember, nothing is wasted. Eventually your style will emerge. Persevere!

So, taking that all apart, his advice can be torn down to one word. Practice is the key. Practice doesn’t always make perfect, but it always makes better—no matter what.

Just to give you an example, this is a paragraph from a neophyte writer. Their very first story ever.

Meanwhile in the depths of the hostile rainforest called the ---- forest a spy of ---- was on a mission for ---- looking for yet another halfblood to kill. A very loud noise was heard in the normally quiet forest and in a clearing a dragon slammed into the ground coming to a halt. It shook its head making the reins flop all over the place making his rider bounce up and down. It was rewarded with a kick in the head by its rider and a hushed, “quiet.”

I don’t know how long I could spend nitpicking that one paragraph. The sentences are random, scatterbrained. The grammar isn’t great—terrible, in fact. It's unrealistic, and copies other books with the halfblood reference, but without meaning to. There is redundancy spread throughout. Overall, the work is pretty terrible.
Fast-forward three years. Three years of steady writing, each night pecking away at the keyboard. Here is another example, from the same writer—still a neophyte, but gradually becoming less so.

She clutched a branch as a wave of dizziness hit her, full force. For a moment, she just wanted to cut out the rest of the world and close her eyes, forgetting the preceding moments. Forgetting that she was high in a tree. But reality hit her hard across the face in the form of a tree branch. A single leafy stick hovered in front of her, still quivering.

When comparing the two paragraphs, you can see more than just a change in style. There has been some definite improvements in grammar, punctuation, and readability. Especially readability, in fact. Some early manuscripts aren’t just poorly written, but also boring.

Practice is the only way you can improve your writing. There are many other things you can do as well, including reading, reviewing, studying and so much more, but the facts remain; without practicing, you cannot get better. No matter what.

Writing has to be written. Dreaming hours about possibilities only gets you as far as you can sleep. Planning only gets you as far as your calendar on the wall. You must find a niche in your day that works for you, and use it. As they say in the movies: Take the bull by the horns and No time like the present.

So, don’t just make plans; fulfill them. Find that time in your day which you find gives you the best inspiration, and stick to it. For me, I write for one hour late at night. Every night, no matter what. But every writer has a specific time that works best for them, where their minds are the most creative and they can put the most down on paper.

Don’t wait for tomorrow, even if you are having a bad day at writing. If you are having a difficult time putting something down one day, then you need to write something else for that time. Experiment with different styles, different genres of writing—maybe even something you have abhorred before. Anything that isn’t your usual will bring you back into the writing game, and full of interest for your art once again.

What are you waiting for? Get out that laptop—or pen—and begin writing. It beckons you. Asks you. Entreats you.

Answer the call. Write.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:34 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Behind the Scenes:
The Team—Their Thoughts and Reasons

Written by WritingWolf

Have you ever wondered what the WOTW team thinks of their own creation? Have you ever asked yourself why they are parts of the team? I was wondering those very things the other day. So here I am writing an article on it. ;)

I sent out several questions to the WOTW team. Unfortunately, not everyone had a chance to answer my questions. But I think you'll be quite satisfied with the answers I did get.

Question One: Why did you join the WOTW team?

It seems to me that a lot of our members didn't think about it much at the time. They were invited to join, so they did, and the longer they were a member of the team, the more they liked it. There are, however, a few other answers. Let's take a look at those...

Hmm, why did I join? I think at first it was mainly to help Lucrezia. Now I'm here to make sure this awesome thing doesn't go kablooey.

I joined the staff because I felt like I needed something else to do on Young Writers Society than just reviewing, commenting and publishing things. When I got the invite to join the staff, I was so excited, thinking "This is my chance to be something different, to get involved!"

I think that this proves that WOTW is the type of thing that you grow into, not so much the type of thing that you jump into.

Question Two: What is your favorite part of being on the WOTW team?

A lot of the answers to this question are the same as the answers to the next question. That is because they are so similar. I included both questions because I know they can be interpreted as very different, even though they will get similar answers.

Just being able to give people the recognition they deserve, that otherwise would not have received it.

I get to vote (when I'm not busy) on many different works, so it opens up my horizons a bit.

My favorite part about being on the staff is the feeling of being involved in something special. I get to feel like I am the decider of the next Writer of the Week, which I am, even though there are others who decide.

Question Three: For what reasons do you like/enjoy WOTW?

The main difference between this question and the last is that Question Two asks why they like being on the team, but this one asks why they like WOTW. The two are so similar that they got really similar answers, but at heart they're still different questions so I felt it a shame to not ask both.

I like that members are being recognized for their works. It really helps when you see their smile (literally in some cases!) when they are announced WOTW.

Being a part of something that gives great writers the recognition they deserve.

Well, there's not much to WOTW except for what I answered in question # 2, so, yah, I like giving people the recognition they deserve.

Question Four: Is there anything you think our readers would like to know about WOTW?

The last question for today. I thought the staff would enjoy being able to write something to you about whatever they like. I have to say, I agree with everything that they've written...

Hello Readers. I think you need to know that WOTW needs more people writing. How else are we going to discover people for WOTW?

Readers should know that although it can be a little hectic and confusing WOTW is a fun thing to do, and that if anyone's looking for a way to get more involved in YWS - WOTW is the way :)

It is really interesting to read all different styles of writing, so you shouldn't just stick with one genre.

Hmm...possibly a bit more about everything. Very few people know we exist and we're still a sort of YWS cult :D

Lost really hit the nail on the head! The more writers, the more WOTWs! But we have to keep in mind that Jaye also speaks the truth. It's important for us to spread the word about WOTW.

What's This Doing Here? (Two More Quotes)

I know I said that was the last question, and that was true. But there are two more things that should be shared with you...

My goal is to one day be a great writer like the ones we nominate on WOTW and maybe even get nominated myself. It keeps me motivated to constantly do better.

I think that Liveandbreathwords has an excellent view on this. I certainly feel the same way. And I hope that she and I aren't the only people who feel this way.

And the second quote...

Don't focus entirely on WOTW, perhaps. I mean, WOTW is something that is a part of TWW, so I think it would be good to have more linkage there.

Jaye is totally right. I mean, if there was no TWW, then you wouldn't get to read this article! Because of that I want to share some about TWW. Here are Timmyjake's answers to those same questions, only about TWW instead of WOTW...

#1 I joined the WW team because I wanted to improve my writing. Looking back, even though I have only been a part for six weeks, my article writing skills have dramatically improved. And I have made a couple new friends! Double score.

#2 My favorite part of being on the WW team is... well, being on a team. We all work together to make this edition--make these articles. That, to me, is a great feeling of comradarie.

#3 I enjoy WW, reading and working with the other members, because we are all normal members here. No big members, really popular or somesuch. We are all just little members trying to make something big.

#4 Yes! Please subscribe to the forum. A new edition comes out every week!

I would have rather gotten answers from the entire team, but I am very happy with the answers I did get. A quick thank you to those who answered questions for me...

I hope you've enjoyed this edition of BTS. Keep in mind if you have any specific things about WOTW you'd like to know you can always request something at the request topic!

Have a wonderful week. Until next time!

~WW

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

THE WEEKLY WRITER

YWS's Unofficial Writing-Related Newsletter

Before we go further, a shout out to the cast and crew:

Now onto the articles!

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

An Interview With Kelpies
Why She Loves To Write

Written By Sunshine1113

This week I interviewed @Kelpies on how she discovered her love for writing and how she found her writing niche.

Sunshine1113: Hello Kelpies, do you have time for an interview for The Weekly Writer, the Writer of the Week's e-zine?

Kelpies: Sure....

SS: You sound uncertain, are you sure you want to?

K: Yes.....

SS: When did you realize/discover that you could write and love to write?

K: 5th grade at elementary school with a great friend that let me join her in writing a novel, I was from a different point of view than her.

SS: So your friend kinda got you into writing?

K: Yep. Before all I did was essays.

SS: So you were sort of writing before you started getting into novels?

K: Yeah, but I hated every second of that.

SS: So your friend helped you find a different type of writing that you enjoyed more?

K: Yep. I'm lucky that she was into fantasy.

SS: Well I'm glad you found your niche. So what genre or genres do you like to write?

K: Fantasy, Science Fiction, and more than I'd like to admit, Romance.

SS: Ooh romance :D Nothing wrong with writing romance.
So what inspires you to write? Where do you draw your inspiration?

K: It's my way of explaining my life, and coping with it. It's my retreat.

SS: Do you have any writing rituals? Like writing it out by hand before typing it out or typing it up first then printing it out to edit and correct it?

K: Nope. Just that I hate writing the same thing twice. XD

SS: Well then, you must not like writing out 2nd drafts do you? lol

K: Yep.

SS: Neither do I, but sometimes you just have to do it. This concludes the interview, thank you for your time and make sure you keep an eye out for next week's edition :)

K: Any time.

I hope you enjoyed this week's interview with a YWSer on why they write.

~Sunshine1113

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

What Does Writing Mean to You?

Written by Thewriter13

Young Writers Society is a wonderful website that’s all about, well, writing. It allows us to interact with other people that have similar interests and goals. These goals and ideas all revolve around writing and striving to be a better writer.
The website also encourages us to grow in our writing, and hopefully we all have found meaning in our writing and have determined its importance in our lives.
I recently asked six YWS members about what writing means to them. Though the question itself is generic and quite vague, they perfectly answered the question. This, in turn, enlightened me on the people on YWS and the feelings they have towards writing. They were all quite similar in a certain way, and I am glad I interviewed them.
@RoyalHighness said,
Writing, for me, of course means expressing myself, but I think there's more to it than just self-expression.
I write to create… people and worlds and conflicts and relationships and galaxies and universes, all of which could never exist in the real world. I love creating characters that become real for the people who read and fall in love with them the way I do when I write them.
I love creating relationships that I can watch flourish, often even without my help… I love laughing and crying and gasping for breath with them. I love creating the worlds they live in, experimenting with governments and economies and politics of the stories and how those aspects impact the characters… I write to express myself, sure, but truly, I write to create and often I find that I live a thousand lives through that creation.

Royal is currently writing a novel, Things Fall Apart Chapter One: The Way This Works Check it out! I know you’ll enjoy it.
Another fellow YWS member, @IamTraunt, gave me a brief response as to what writing meant to her.
Writing is my life. And by life I mean I have created my own little world in which I live in. Everything orbits my planet of writing!
- IAMTRAUNT

What a great way to describe it, Traunt! If you’re interested, check out Traunt’s novel, Truant: Chapter One

@Wolfie36 uses a great way to describe her thoughts,
In a way, writing is like playing a musical instrument. I find myself falling into a steady rhythm as I type away- similarly when I strum a guitar.

I have to agree with Wolfie on this one. Whenever I begin to type a piece, whether it’s poetry or prose, I become immersed in words, and can’t seem to get out! I’m sure all writers experience when they start clacking away on their keys.
Readers, check out Wolfie’s latest post, Ordadus- Chapter Four

The kind and friendly @RavenMoonStone said,
When I write: I go to a world where I am free [from]... the "real" world. Where I can be me, and have fun; I can smile, cry, laugh and kill my characters.

I agree, Raven! :) Nice job!
Go on and read Raven’s story: Silence is Silver, Chapter 16

The lovely and amazing poet @rhiasofia tells me,
For me writing is a catharsis. Through it, I can preserve my memories while still getting them out of my system. It allows me to move on from the past, yet still respect that it happened. Also, it is a constant relief to know that, no matter how personal something I write is, somebody, somewhere, will connect, and if I can reach them, I can be helpful or inspiring. It gives writing so much more worth to me, when others feel moved by it.
Writing also gives me the confidence to share my own troubles. Once I've gotten them out of my head and onto paper, it's not so hard to repeat them to others. I never knew that it could grow to be so important, but it has. All of my relationships; family, friend, romantic...have grown and strengthened so much as I learned how to open up.
Writing is so much of me.

She is very correct! I, myself, feel the same way about writing. It’s always great knowing someone will connect to what you have you written.
Check out her latest poem: For What it's Worth

The kitten-loving @KatyaElefant (and The Weekly Writer's newest member!) says,
Writing is one of those things that just pops up in my head. It's a way to express how I feel. Writing also can be quite annoying, like when I have to write an essay for school about some random thing that I don't even care about. Writing is that one thing that can let me express myself without anyone questioning me. Writing is my worst subject and I procrastinate a lot on my projects, but when I put my mind into it, a small idea can create an universe.

Those darn essays! I don't really warm up to writing an essay, due to the fact most of the topics aren't up my alley. :D
Check out one of Katya's works: What we didn't know...(Frozen Fanfic)

@cassaundra1 says, “Writing is an escape from the world, it’s a place for imagination. When I write down ideas, they’re not just words, they’re part of who I am.”
Cass, you’re very right in what you say :D
Check out her work! :)

Writing means a lot to each of us in different ways, but the sole reason is the same. It's who we are! We write because we are good at it, because it's something we can do! Though some may do it for fun, and some may do it for work, it's all similar because we can do it, and we like it. :)
So, what does writing mean to you?
Think about it, and keep writing!

View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Have The Writing Blues?
Inspirational Quotes and Sayings
To Inspire You

Written By Sunshine1113

Every writer has one of those days, when they can't seem to write anything because of writer's block, or they have become discouraged in their writing and refuse to write or type another word. If you are having one of those days, look no farther for the inspiration to continue to write. Here are a few sayings that will hopefully cure your case of writing blues.

"You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page." - Jodi Picoult

Don't worry, you'll figure it out - you always do. Just keep writing.

Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." - Mark Twain

"In the mental disturbance and effort of writing, what sustains you is the certainty that on every page there is something left unsaid." - Ceasare Pavese

"If you find yourself asking yourself (and your friends) Am I really an artist? Chances are you are. The counterfeit innovator is wildly self confident. The real one is scared to death.

And not that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good. - John Steinbeck

Finish your novel, because you learn more that way than any other. - James Scott Bell

'Amateur' comes from the Latin 'to love'. Never consider being an amateur less than that of professional. It is the highest virtue.

You are an explorer. Your mission is to document and observe the world around you as you've never seen it before. Take notes. Collect things you find on your travels. Document your findings. Notice patterns. Copy. Trace. Focus on one thing at a time. Record what you are drawn to.

Every writer I know has trouble writing. - Joseph Heller

Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little. - Holly Garth

“The beautiful part of writing is that you don’t have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.” — Robert Cormier

I hope this has cured your writing blues and has inspired you to continue to write. Even if you don't have the writing blues, I hope this has inspired you to be the best writer you can be. Keep on writing!

~Sunshine1113

View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Editing The Timmy Way

Written by timmyjake

Editing is something that tears writers apart. Some of us enjoy taking out the red pen 'n backspace key and editing our work—for grammar, punctuation and style. Many of us detest it. But all of us, no matter who we are or what we enjoy, editing is an important part of our writing that none of us can ignore. It makes our writing whole and finishes our work to perfection.
But how do we go about this?

Take A Step Back

You have finished writing your work, and you think it looks great. You know it needs editing, and probably quite a bit, but you don’t know where. How can you find the small details, the finest nitpicks that everyone else but you can see?

You must take a step back, and give the work some time. Whatever you are writing, you need to take a moment, a day, a month, a year—whatever you need—to see the weak points in your work. You have been looking at this piece for so long, writing it and rewriting; reading, and rereading. You have looked at it for so long that the words just melt together, until you can’t distinguish the good from the bad, and the amazing to the mediocre.

Just close the document or put away the notebook, and concentrate on something else for a while. Then, when you feel detached enough, you can pull your work out once more and begin editing with renewed resolve.

Print It

You have read this work so many times, even you have lost count. But that was different, and you had a different mind-set. When you read something looking for errors, you will find them—guaranteed. It’s the mentality that makes all the difference when editing. You must change from the writer to the editor. Put away the pencil, and take out the pen.

Typing on the computer is great, but you need to be able to grasp your writing. There isn’t really a logical explanation for why editing on printed paper works so much better than merely reading it on a screen, but it just does. Bring a red pen with you—dubbed the Pen of Shame—because you are going to need it. Spreading that crimson color over my page gives me the idea of a math quiz, and questions I got wrong. Looking at all of that red written everywhere, I always get an urge to fix the problems I found straight away. The red is too much to bear.

Read It Out Loud

Read your work out loud. There are many people who say that you shouldn’t have an audience when doing this, because writing isn’t meant to be read out-loud, but rather in your mind. However, I always find it’s a good idea to read them that way because it helps you find many flaws in your work, but primarily redundancy—which can be missed by everyone if not discovered with this method.

If you don’t feel comfortable reading it to a friend or member of your family, but feel silly talking to a wall, find your dog. Reading your work to a pet may bring you nothing but an encouraging bark, but you will have an audience. Who knows? Maybe Spot has a P.H.D. in English Grammar.

Give It To A Friend

Now I know what you’re thinking, and I completely understand. You have done all that you thought necessary to your work, and have now deemed it completely edited and ready to go. But you aren’t finished yet! More work is required. One of the hardest things to do is hand it over to someone else, asking them to read it—but not to give you praise, but rather nitpick it for you. This can be the hardest process of all, because you are self-conscious of your art and possibly afraid that they may nitpick it to death. And they may go through it, finding many things that you couldn’t. That is perfectly fine.

Passing something onto a friend doesn’t have to be hard-copy. Posting on YWS counts as that. Emailing your work to a friend to read works perfectly fine, as well. When writing novels, printing out each chapter for each beta-reader can be expensive and time consuming. Relying on other technologies can be handy.
Remember one thing when passing something on to someone else: Just because they put red pen on it doesn’t mean you have to fix it. Preference and Style dominates when other people nitpick your pieces, and its perfectly fine to ignore it if you disagree. Ask my sister, she has experience with that.

What Do I Do Now?

So you have looked this piece over carefully yourself, printed it out, written all over it, read it out-loud, and passed it on to a friend. After doing all of this, and in some cases, going through all of this mutilation of your work, I sit back and read it once more. But this time I don’t read it as the author, and I don’t read it as a reviewer. I enjoy the story I wrote, just as a reader would do.

So these are the steps I go through when I edit. This method works well for me and you are welcome to try it. But one thing is for certain. We are all different, and all think different. Some techniques don’t work as well for other people, while it works perfectly for me. Experiment with what I have offered here, and then provide some alterations to it, and make it your own personalized editing program.

But whatever you do, one thing is for certain. Editing is a monumental part of writing, something that finishes our work and adds the last touch, and all of us have to do it, no matter the writer. I just hope we all have the courage to be honest with ourselves and edit our works un-biased. Because that, as well as the other factors I mentioned previously, is what you need to complete your grand work or art. Your writing.

So what are you waiting for? Begin the process, and see if it works out for you.

-timmyjake

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

THE WEEKLY WRITER

Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekly Writer! Before we go further, a shout out to the cast and crew:

You may notice that we have a new writer! Please give KatyaElefant a warm welcome! And, an old writer/editor (GoldFlame) has returned! The team is very glad to have them, and I hope you are too!

Now onto the articles!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

New Writer for The Weekly Writer

A Review A Day

Written by KatyaElefant

On our lovely website, the Young Writers Society, there comes a time when you want to post something but then realize that you have run out of points. This is when you need to review another person’s work. You hop over to the Green Room or look at one of your friend’s and review it.

Some people don’t know how the points work, so I asked a citizen of YWS to explain it in their own words. What @Zontafer said was:

1 point is equal to 10 words, 10 points is equal to 100 words, and 100 points is equal to 1000 words. If you review something in the Green Room, however, you get 50% more points. If it was in the Green Room for more than 3 days, you get 75% more points.

This led me to think about some of the dedicated reviewers on this website that make sure to review at least one work a day. What if they were to only make reviews that were over 1000 words? How many points would they get in a week? A month? A year? Time to grab our calculators and start doing the math.

One week:
In one week or seven days, you would get 700-1225 points. This already could let you post five individual works.

One month:
Varying from 28 to 31 days in a month, if you did a review a day, you would get 2800 to 5425 points. These points could get you at least 56 gifts to send to your fellow friends on the website.

One year:
In a single year, there are 365 days (unless it is Leap Year; then you would have 366 days.). If you do a review a day, you would get 36,500 to 64,050 points. You could post 146 works.

From the day YWS was released:
The earliest day that I found on YWS is November 14th, 2004 (3489 days before July 22, 2014). Assuming that was the first day of YWS, if you did a review a day, you would get 348,900 to 610,575 points! You could send 6978 gifts to your friends. That is about 23% of all the users that are registered on YWS.

Other than for points, why should you review once a day?

I decided to ask some other members of YWS why they liked to review.

@RavenMoonStone said,
It makes me happy. Also, I like helping people. Reviewing gives me a purpose. It makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

@magpie said,
I like to review because I feel that I can help people improve their writing with constructive criticism. Also, I like to think about the pieces I review and see if there are any techniques in them that I could use to improve my own writing. Thinking analytically about writing can help both the reviewer and the recipient of the review.

Magpie definitely put a lot of heart and soul into the question. The connection that she mentioned in which the two people carry an almost symbiotic relationship was spot-on.

@wtppowers, being honest and true as always, said,
To be honest, the only good reason I can think of is to get points XD

Some programs to help you:

In YWS, we have several clubs to motivate you to do more reviews. Some of them, sadly, are dying off and we need to support them (though the ones that I am going to mention aren’t necessarily dying off).

Review a Day (RAD):
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=100725

In this contest, you must write a review a day. If you do so, you receive fifty points a week. If you fail to do so, you lose points (you donate it to ContestPointPool). At the end of the competition, which will be on December 31st, the top three reviewers get a certain amount of the points that have been donated. It’s a unique opportunity and would be great to join! (If you have any questions, ask @ContestPointPool.)

Personal Review Activity Eater (RAE):
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101266

If you love tamogachis, you will love this program! You get a little review eater and you can customize it any way you want (but as @AriaAdams says, you must ask nicely.). You take care of them by feeding them with at least one review (of +1000 characters) a week. If you skip several weeks, they become sick, and if you skip more than two weeks, it will die. You may revive it, but it’s just best to keep them healthy.

Our YWS community also offers many other opportunities. You just have to explore and see how you can make a difference in our community. You can make those statistics (the ones that I mentioned earlier) possible. You can help other people in the community. You can love and hug our website right beside us!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

The Character

Written by timmyjake

I just finished watching a movie. (Yes, not your typical article opening.) While I was observing the interaction, I realized how well I knew the main character. I understood everything he was becoming—in such a way that I felt like I actually knew him. And not just as someone else, or even a close friend, but more like I could see into him. His mind, his heart—everything beating in a way I could understand.

That is an amazing feeling and not one that you get very often. Finding a character that shows themselves to you is difficult. As the writers and creators of our characters, we ourselves know who they are. We are their designer—their maker! We know how they work and what they are like. But it is in getting that message across to your readers, in making them love and feel like they know your character, that can be the most challenging part of writing.

GIVE THEM A UNIQUE PERSONALITY

You all know what personality your character has; you probably dream about them, too. You know who they are. Giving your reader the same feeling is difficult, but there are many things that lend help to making this possible, and many that make a huge difference—but most are just little things that all add up.

—Give them habits

We all have incessant habits, perhaps even merely to annoy people. Drumming our fingers on tables, scratching our heads constantly, licking our lips, biting our fingernails—the list is endless. Giving characters habits makes them more realistic, because it makes them more like real people, and less fictional.

—Make them big

If you wrote a book using characters from real life, it would be boring. You and I are probably not meant to be in books because our personalities aren’t (again, probably; there are exceptions) big enough for a reader to really see.

Every habit, action and feeling needs to be described in the viewpoint of a character that is larger than life, leaving no doubt in the reader’s mind that they have immense depth and an amazing personality—whether for the bad or good, that is up to you.

—Internal thought

Using this isn’t necessarily doing, I hate being like this, but I have no choice, Bob thought., which is a form of internal thought and the most visible/readily used. For instance, there is the third person form. Bob hated thinking like this, but had no choice.

Not quite as blatant of a usage of thought, but just as effective. It’s up to you what you choose, but internal thought boosts the character, because your reader is receiving their deepest thoughts. What they feel.

—Show their emotions

We all respond to danger, love, and aggression in various ways. Some explode into a fit of anger and then die down instantly. Some let anger fester inside, sulking for days, weeks, even years in some cases. Some let all of creation walk over them, paying no mind to the torture.

Whatever emotion your character employs, and whatever temperament they have, use it to your full advantage. Leave no doubt to your reader and their imagination as to who your character truly is. They have a personality. All you have to do is set it loose.

GIVE THEM A FOCUS

When writing from the perspective of a character, don’t let everything they say or do be groundless. Every human being has a goal, a vision, a focus, and so does your character. Give them something to work for, something to look forward to.

A character without a goal is like a sheet blowing in the wind. The wind blows them all different ways, without certainty, without direction. Giving your character a vision and a duty is like fastening the sheet down. No matter what way the wind blows, your character will still be fastened on the goal ahead, and nothing is going to stop them.

GROW THEM

Imagine a plant: a small life, still tender and young, the shoots barely above the earth. This plant will grow into something huge—a tree which everyone will see and enjoy its shade.

Your character must be similar. Their personality and their focus must change as the book goes. It’s called character development but could just as easily be called an arc. On one side of the arc, you have your character—a unique being fashioned from your own imagination, probably having one or more things in common with you. On the other side, you have the same character, but they are entirely different! Your character must change with the story, molding around their environment as it develops.

THEIR DIALOGUE

Many people—including myself—write the dialogue and conversations of characters as they come into their head. And there isn’t anything wrong with that. It’s the way we write—our mind just sets loose the story as we type, and it can be hard to control it.

When having a discussion between characters, keep your character’s goal and personality in mind. How would they respond to an accusation? How would they respond to threats, feelings of love, easy conversation—every little thing that might pop up during the dialogue?

—Harsh language

Some people love putting language in their stories. Using swear and cuss words can lend heat to your character, but keep their personality in mind; excessive usage can slip into your writing easily and without notice—and that can ruin your piece.

Harsh language can either make or break a piece, every time.

—What do they talk about?

Their conversation can build a character as well as their internal thought, and better in many ways. The topics they use in exchanging words with other people in the story tells a reader what kind of person they are. With villains especially, dialogue can be a powerful tool to make your character a believable figure and bring them in closer to the reader.

All of these tactics I have mentioned have one purpose, and one only: to bring your reader into the story. Without a believable character that the reader can love—or hate, depending on the person you are writing about—your story is nothing but empty words. Without a vivid character your reader can see, your work is dead, no matter what. Characters are the most important building blocks.

The few more important aspects of developing characters is nothing compared to the possibilities you can conjure up when creating someone. I know I have said it before, but I will say it again and again. The possibilities are endless, and always are. You can never see the end on the horizon of what you can do with a character.

What are you waiting for? Your character beckons.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Writing Rituals
What Do You Do During/While You Write?

Written by Sunshine1113

All writer's have a writing ritual they do when they write. Some eat, some drink tea, while others watch TV and write at the same time. This week I interviewed a few YWSers on what their writing rituals are.

@Strangelove's ritual is:
What I do before writing? I usually wipe off my desk, and start writing. I also (Embarrassing saying this) usually get up and start walking around.

In my opinion, walking around isn't a bad thing, it gets blood moving to your brain to help you think up creative ideas.

@BlueAfrica has a couple of rituals, depending on what's going on:

1. Unless it's November and thus National Novel Writing Month, my writing at home takes place almost exclusively on the couch, in the living room, with Netflix on the Xbox for background noise. My laptop is out and on for much longer than it wants to be, and I write to the soothing sounds of Futurama or American Dad...and also I watch sometimes, so admittedly this is not the best writing habit to have.

2. Before I sit down for said hours-long writing/watching TV sessions, I make sure all the chores are done and that any food or drink I want is in place on the arm of the sofa so I can minimize getting off the couch. If it's before 7p.m., I make a cup of coffee (with lots of hot chocolate mix and creamer, because I only like a hint of coffee taste). If it's after, just water.

3. If it's September through October, I'm probably working on planning more than writing. This includes anything from pages of notes on character and plot to a list of chapters to a scene-by-scene outline of the plot. Depends on the story and whether it's new or something I've worked on before. And the reason for all this planning, is, of course...

4...National Novel Writing Month. If it's November, I buckle down and get to work (although I obviously still do my fair share of procrastinating, because where's the fun if you aren't in danger of missing your deadline?) I get up early in the morning to get some writing done before I go out for the day. If I have schoolwork, I do it the moment I get home (or between classes) so I can then focus on writing without worrying about my grades. I sit at the kitchen table (away from the TV, like a good writer) with a CD in the CD-player--only classical or big band, though, because if it's something I can sing to, I'll get distracted. I write obsessively in any spare moment, carry my laptop everywhere I can use it and a notebook anywhere I can't (including work), and stay up way later than I should.

As you can see, my NaNo writing habits are vastly different from my usual writing habits. Oh, one other note: Unless I'm planning for NaNo, I don't plan much at all. In everyday writing circumstances, I'm a pantser or, as it is known in more distinguished/academic/fancy-schmancy circles, a "discovery writer." (Pantser all the way.) That is to say, I just start writing and see where it goes and do minute research when something comes up. (i.e., herbs used to soothe nightmares, the boundaries and countries in Eastern Europe in the 1830s, the history of balloon-art, the history of circuses, public-domain books and quotes found therein, etc)

@Gringoamericano likes music when he writes:

When I write, I put on a random album on Spotify that I've been meaning to listen to, and write something based off the vibe and tone I get off of the music.

I personally love @Pamplemousse's ritual:
I have to eat before I write. I can't write on an empty stomach.

Food.... food is always a good ritual.

Do I have a writing ritual? I do indeed:

What's my writing ritual? First I make sure my family can't disturb me because if I don't, they will keep me away from my writing. Then I make sure I have either a water bottle or a thermos full of green tea (it can only be loose green tea, no sugar, no honey, just lemon).

Every writer has a writing ritual. Even if you don't think you have one, you do. Anything you do before you write consistently is a ritual.

You can share and post your writing rituals here.

Thank you to all of this week's interviewees and to BlueAfrica for sending me four paragraphs when I only asked for a few sentences.

~Sunshine1113

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

WOTW Interview With Deanie

Written by FatCowsSis

Hello my friends! A couple weeks ago, Messenger asked me to do the Writer of the Week (WOTW) interview with @Deanie. I, unfortunately was not able to share it with you until now. So, without further ado, the interview!

The Weekly Writer: Hey Deanie! Congrats on WOTW!

Deanie: Thank you :3

The Weekly Writer: Haha, were you expecting to be selected?

Deanie: Not at all! I didn't know you guys chose mods and things, so I was really surprised. And pleased, of course.

The Weekly Writer: Why wouldn't we choose mods?

Deanie: I don't know... kind of how Feature member isn't usually mods either. Although sometimes that does change, with @Audy and all ^^

The Weekly Writer: Lol, well. Surprise! Anyway, why do you think you were chosen? What specifically made you stand out from the other nominees?

Deanie: Agh this is a difficult question! I always find it so hard to critique my own writing

The Weekly Writer: I understand the feeling :D

Deanie: But according to the advice and points mentioned by fab reviewers, it looks like character development and action are my finer points. Although I have plenty of points that could still use improving

The Weekly Writer: We all have room for improvement, yes? Do you have any advice for those seeking to become WOTW?

Deanie: Just keep writing, improving, and taking in the advice you can get from your reviewers!

The Weekly Writer: That's great advice! :D Reviewers certainly are the best!

Deanie: :)

The Weekly Writer: Thank you for your time! Have a fabulous week/weekend!

Deanie: Thank you as well :) You too

The Weekly Writer: :D :D

Well, with the interview finally out there I feel better :D

Well 1 MONTH ago Deanie won the award for her fabulous novel writing skills. Do go check out her portfolio here.

Until next time!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 am
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

Employee of the Month Interview with lostthought

Written by FatCowsSis

Hey guys! I am FINALLY back!! And this week we have a lovely interview with a very surprised interviewee. You see, I began lostthought's interview BEFORE she realized she was the EOTM. So after a bit of explaining, she had regained her senses enough to answer a few questions. Let's check it out:

The Weekly Writer: Hey lost! Looks like we had a bit of a different situation this month! Regardless, congrats on EOTM!

lostthought: Thanks! It was unexpected, but definitely secretly wanted.

The Weekly Writer: Haha I bet everyone feels that way :D So what was your reaction when you found out?

lt: Surprised, naturally. A bit shocked. I was expecting someone else to be EOTM.

The Weekly Writer:That makes sense, considering Jaye was originally EOTM.

lt: So I heard. Unfortunately, he left WOTW in the beginning of the month. Oh well, he was a brilliant member!

The Weekly Writer: Yes, he was. But back to you! Why do you think you were selected as EOTM?

lt: Probably because I'm so active! I'm definitely not the most *ahem* punctual member when it came to voting. In fact, I'm usually cutting it very close! Luckily I jump on just in time.

The Weekly Writer: Well, that's much appreciated. So, what would you say to those members who are silently praying to be EOTM?

lt: They definitely should be active every week, even if they can only get on once a week.

The Weekly Writer: That would definitely be something. But shouldn't every member be doing that? What's something that makes EOTM stand out?

lt: Their sparkling personality!

The Weekly Writer: I suppose that's a factor :D I'm sure those who vote and nominate begrudigly have a more difficult chance. :D

lt: Well, a bad attitude gets you nowhere.

The Weekly Writer: That is true :3 Well, thanks so much for your time! Keep up the good work!

lt: You're welcome! ;)

There ya go! So, a HUGE congrats to @lostthought (I just realized I never tagged her)!!!

See you next month with another interview!

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm
View Likes
TheWeeklyWriter says...

THE WEEKLY WRITER

Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekly Writer! Before we go further, shoutout to the cast and crew:

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)