z

Young Writers Society

Looking for a book

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 pm
WritingWolf says...

I saw a while ago there had been two people asking for help finding particular books, and I happen to have a book I've been looking for for quite some time, and I figured they had a pretty good idea asking YWS.

But there is a catch, I'm not sure if it's an actual book. My parent's used to read to me a lot when I was really little, but I also used to come up with my own stories a lot around that same time. So now I remember a very, very little bit about a story, but I can't remember if it was my own story or a book that they read to me.
If it's my own idea, then I want to write it. But if it's an existing book, I want to read it again.

So basically it's about this boy. I remember he has fair skin and dirty blond hair (that might not be how he was described in the book, sometimes the way I envision characters varies from how they're actually described). He lived either in a desert or savannah, not sure which but it was some place golden. I think it was the savannah, but I really am not sure. He stayed in this really small house (or trailer), that was a little run down. Outside there was this tree that the boy likes to sit under and read. This horse comes into the story. I don't know if it's always been there and just wasn't mentioned yet, or if the horse had just come around for some reason (like they just bought it or something). I think the horse was black with white markings on his face (but again, my memory on what characters look like is often inaccurate).
After the horse has been around for awhile the boy find this horseshoe. It's not a normal horseshoe. It's about twice the size of what you'd expect, and it has strange markings going around the rim of one side, and is completely smooth on the other side.
This horseshoe is some sort of portal, or is the key to a portal, or something like that. The boy uses this horseshoe to go to this other place several times. I don't really remember what this place was like, I just remember green and lush (but in comparison to where the boy was from, most places would look green and lush). He travels through the portal several times by himself. And then one day he takes the horse with him, and the two get pulled into some kind of adventure which I can't remember at all.
Also, the boy talks to the horse. I don't know if it's just that he talks to it just because (like Kristoff and Sven from Frozen), or if the horse can speak and they actually have conversations (in which case I don't know if the horse can communicate with everyone, or just with the boy).

That is pretty much the extent of what I remember. I would have only been six or seven at the time this was read to me (or I came up with it). So it is probably for an age group around 6-13.
At first when I was trying to remember what this book was I thought about that one book with the horse by C. S. Lewis (the title has temporarily escaped me), but upon some looking at that book I have decided it is not that one. (Edit: the title is The Horse and His Boy)

If you can think of any books like what I described, or even any books which just kinda remind you of what I described, please let me know. :) I would love to be able to find this book, or at least determine that it's not an actual book.
Last edited by WritingWolf on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:25 am
Rook says...

I don't know what this one is, but the C.S. Lewis book is "The Horse and His Boy," and what you described is definitely not it. I can't think of a book involving a magic horseshoe portal. Hmm.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:20 pm
Spotswood says...

Sounds like Eragon with horses.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm
OliveDreams says...

Hm. So I did a little searching.

I only came up with Joe and the Hidden Horseshoe but it looks a little new to me!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin