z

Young Writers Society

Hello! Positive support and feedback needed!

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15 pm
View Likes
js261oc says...

My 12 year old son hopes to works for Pixar someday. He has started a blog and would love some positive support and feedback. He would be extremely thankful if you would visit his blog! Thanks!

http://jacobscharacterz.blogspot.com/

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:47 pm
Iggy says...

*makes a note to visit* :D Who doesn't wanna work for Pixar?!

(Topic moved to The Lounge)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:04 pm
Zolen says...

Hm, if he wants to work for Pixar, along with art, I encourage him to try out programs like blender to get some experience into modeling.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:15 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Professional artists tend to respect people with talent and ability to create awesome stuff over people who are good with fancy programs. So sure, modeling and digital art is definitely something to explore and eventually become good at, but there's no rush, keeping to traditional art is perfectly fine ;)

He's obviously a lot into Pixar movies, it shows in his style. Does he think of the characters' stories himself as well? They're pretty cool, if I may say so. The drawings are too, and some of their names are quite imaginative. Has he ever tried making more than characters, like the scenery or different objects and stuff?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm
Zolen says...

It's less a matter of fancy programs, and more a matter of leaning how to adapt to multiple mediums, often places like that (a studio based on animation digital and drawn) want people with a lot of different artistic skills, modeling, programing, and an aptitude for both digital and traditional art are big ones. Taking up a program like blender (free and uses logic very common in most 3d modeling programs) while young might help him adapt to later modeling programs and engines which will be helpful.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:33 pm
Tenyo says...

Hiyao Miyazaki (who I assume your son will know about if he's into animation) said that the best route is not to focus on working, but on playing. At twelve he should experiment will lots of different styles and mediums, play with the ones he likes best, watch cartoons and movies and in general just take his time growing up.

When you end up in the industry there is no time for learning and playing, and so if he practices to go into that industry only then later he won't have the time to try other things.

Imagination is crucial, and if you work too hard too young, then there's a chance of losing something he might never be able to find again.
We were born to be amazing.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm
js261oc says...

Thanks to all for the feedback! Kind words are inspirational and very much appreciated! Jacob creates 100% of his own content. He has been passionate about animation since the age of 4 or 5 years old. His mother and I have always encouraged him to be creative and go in any direction he wants and he has never once waivered in his interests. Right now we are working on transitioning to his graphics tablet and creating on gimp...then it will be onto blender or toonboom. We want to give him all the tools he needs to reach his potential but Quite honestly, the boy loves his pencil and spends hours every day creating characters and storylines! Although Jacob eats and sleeps animation, he still has lots of time to be kid and have tons of "geeky fun".. Next week is his first Wonder-Con and he is beyond excited to be "among his peeps"!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 pm
WritingWolf says...

He's doing amazing. :) I particularly like the Numberians and the Alphabetarians. Will he be considering doing any more characters like those? Possibly Colourians?

I was actually about to recommend GIMP, but I see that you've already got that. :)

I hope he keeps up with this, he's doing really good. I can't wait to see what other characters he comes up with! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on his blog. :D
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 am
js261oc says...

*bump

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana