z

Young Writers Society

Novels on YWS

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:32 pm
Squidgy says...

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I decided to do it here.

I've seen that the majority of works posted on this site are poetry and short stories. I was wondering if people of the YWS community are actually willing to sit back and read an actual novel, as in 6+ pages on Word per chapter.

I know that it'll look long on here, so I've been hesitating to post my first chapter.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:38 pm
birk says...

I would advise you to release each chapter in parts. If the chapters get too long, people tend to avoid it.

Smaller parts get you more feedback.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:39 pm
deleted30 says...

That should be fine. Poems and shorts do tend to get more reviews than chapters, but chapters are still definitely read and reviewed. I posted every chapter of my novel on here, and each one got at least two or three reviews (often many more). So long as you keep your chapters under eight pages, you'll be good (chapters over that are more neglected). If you have a chapter that goes a little long, just split it up into two or three parts. :D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:16 pm
crossroads says...

Looking at the number of pages is not really the best way to see your chapters' length. My chapters, when I write them on my computer, are rarely over 3 pages - but I use single spacing and font size 10.

As Birk said above, it's usually better to divide your chapters into smaller pieces - say around 1000 or max 2000ish words each - and post them that way. It will attract the readers who are interested in longer works, but at the same time won't discourage reviewers by being too long c:

There is also the Novel Workshop forum, where you can post novels with more chapters written. There they can be of any length, of course, but it might take the readers quite some time to get to reviewing those works.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

394 Reviews

Reviews: 394
Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 am
KnightTeen says...

And it also depends on the reader/reviewer.

Some just prefer to review poetry.

I like both and I don't mind having to read through a few thousand words. I know I have made my readers do it at some point :).
Screw Yolo. I'm a cat. Nine lives losers!

I think I used to be HomeschooledTeen

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm
StellaThomas says...

I've found that I get less reviews if I go over 2000 words. But you could break your chapters up! And there will always be people willing to read no matter how long it is, if they're really enjoying it! :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla