z

Young Writers Society

I need help finding a book too

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Rook says...

So I read this one book about three years ago? I think. Or two years ago. And it was rather new then. I remember very little about it. It was a YA book. All I remember about it was that a young boy and a young girl were the main focus, and I think it switched off between their perspectives. The boy was supposed to be the heir to something or other, but he had been smuggled to another land. The only way they knew that it was him who was the heir was because of his green eyes... I'm pretty sure there was a group of filthy orphans there. There was a fair amount of interesting magic going on. I'm not sure if it was this book or another book that I'm confusing this with where there were child thieves in a magical fenced-in desert who were all named after a skill of thievery and the main boy had to ally with them to try to steal something to get out of the desert...
I may be combining two books.
I think the genre of this was "adventure," and it wasn't a very thick book, maybe slightly less than an inch thick?
This is all I have. I've tried googling books for this, but I couldn't find it. It's not a very well-known book, but I've been trying to find it for forever.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 pm
lostthought says...

I want to say Magyk but it's a thick book and the kid isn't really snuggled away
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

621 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 pm
Rook says...

Snuggled away

lol that sounds so nice. XD
No it's not magyk.

317 Reviews

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

I meant smuggled... I'm, the days of the week series (Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday)
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

621 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:25 pm
Rook says...

Nope... Pretty sure it was a stand-alone book.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 pm
Rook says...

Okay I think I was combining two books. The part about the thieves in a desert (the desert is named the "just deserts" XD) is actually a part of a book called "Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes." I still don't know the other book though...

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:53 pm
Holysocks says...

It kinda sounds like The Thief Lord by Cornellia Funk ( Beware, I probably spelled her name wrong ). I've never read it, my friend told me about it, so I'm not sure. But it could be?
100% autistic

317 Reviews

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:05 pm
lostthought says...

Holy, it does a bit but the main character was a boy and he was kind of a consistent character. The only girl was the one that helped him run away and learn to steal. The filthy orphans were the kids living in the abandoned movie theatre.
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:06 pm
Auxiira says...

yeah... not that much magic in there either... Scipio wasn't the heir of any country really either...
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

317 Reviews

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:15 pm
lostthought says...

Maybe Witch and Wizard but it's not a stand alone book but it does switch perspectives and have magic. The thing is that they are brother and sister and they didn't inherit anything.
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 pm
Holysocks says...

Ah, I see...
100% autistic

621 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:02 pm
Rook says...

It wasn't The Thief Lord (I really need to reread that) and it wasn't Witch and Wizard.
And it's not on this list: blog/fortis/something_really_impossible_b-59204.html

317 Reviews

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 pm
lostthought says...

Can you give us anything else to go off of (like the age group or more detail) I checked my entire Facebook book list (I use to try to list the books I read, I'm missing at the very least 200 books) and nothing I saw matched your description.
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

621 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:55 pm
Rook says...

Age group? like... I dunno 12-14? ish? I dunno how they classify the ages. I'm pretty sure it took place in a city with narrow cobblestone streets, and the part with the magic that I'm thinking of had something to do with flooding the streets. The orphans lived under something, but not like a bridge, more like, in the basement of a building.The magic wasn't super prevalent, but there was some. There might have been a dancing skeleton at some point in time? And it might not have switched off POV. Take that as the least necessary detail because I can't quite remember. I'm remembering this book in a series of pictures. No actual words or anything, only what I imagined in my head.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17 am
Lava says...

... I'm thinking of Locke Lamora
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind