Young Writers Society

Chucks overly boring site suggestions!

19 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 19
Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am
Chuck10931 says...

Hai!

For starters I think it'd be nice for a liquid theme on the website.
What is this liquid them you ask?
Well. A liquid theme is where the web page will adjust to your browser size for example. The middle part will stretch to either side of the windows and not have all this empty space. For a live example click Here

Now onto point 2 or point B.
It's be nice for a new site design. Maybe a competition.
The competition may go something like this:
People design a website and the best design gets chosen and used? Just an idea I think it'd be cool.

Another thing is that in signatures it'd be nice to have an image so maybe enable that?

Also. Some things that would be nice but I'm not sure if you can do them.

• Spellcheck. Checks spelling and grammar when you post a new story.

• Add /attack back to the chat room. I liked that feature. xD

• Remove the swear filter on the chat boxes or make it optional. Okay so I swear a lot and I'm used to it and that swear filter annoys me a lot. So I understand why it's there but maybe make it optional so you can have it on or off.

• Maybe a shop where you can buy YWS stuff! Like t-shirts and mugs and pens. That sorta crap and maybe you could even buy points. Just an idea because I would most likely buy a mug.

• A tab dedicated to fan fiction. You've got to have one.

So that is all for now! This may be updated in the future!

Take time to complete the little poll:
http://goo.gl/migTKZ

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:38 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

New site design?! But I love it the way it is, Nate put a lot of work into it, and @Bobo created the awesome logo. :(

Images in a signature would totally be awesome. Like a banner that's advertising something! ^^

Spellcheck would be nice. As well as /attack.

Removing the swear filter is a no. It goes against out Censorship policy and besides, you shouldn't be cursing on here, except in literary works and Storybooks. ;)

We do have a shop!

And there is a fanfiction tab. Go to any tab, be it short stories or novels or poetry, and look down the left side. There's a bunch of genres, so just find fanfiction. :)

Just so you know, Nate has been very busy, mostly with real life, but he is also busy on making Cassini happen. That's the newest update that will change a lot of things. So it may take a while for him to notice this or apply any of these suggestions. :) but they are really good ideas, Chuck!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm
Chuck10931 says...

Your shop is hardly advertised.
The website needs a redesign it's kinda ugly.
The fanfiction tab I was meanign more like next to the storybooks tab. Not within another tab.

The swear filter is annoying can you atleast not replace it with oops and make it use stars instead?

You seem to have come here to hate.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:01 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

It's not hating if she's not putting you down...
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:31 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Chuck10931 wrote:You seem to have come here to hate.

Um, I'd hardly call that hating. She was being perfectly polite, just explaining some things.

I like the site design. My only issue is the fact that there's so much blue—but I only really have a problem with that because I'm the only person on earth that doesn't like the color blue. :smt003

Your other ideas are definitely good, though. The fanfic tab would be cool... of course, it's not a pressing issue since fanfic is still easily accessible, but it would be nice to have. Images in signatures would be fun!

Maybe a shop where you can buy YWS stuff! Like t-shirts and mugs and pens. That sorta crap and maybe you could even buy points.

I haven't checked out the YWS store yet, but I'm pretty sure they don't sell points—and I don't think they should. When I first joined, I was so upset that you couldn't buy points and actually had to review to get them, since I thought I would be lousy at reviews... but as it turns out, reviewing is awesome! And it helps people! The points system is a big motivator for people to review things, and if you could buy points, I think it would kind of ruin that. I know for me, personally, that if I'd been able to buy points, I probably would've never realized how awesome reviewing is.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You have some clever ideas, keep 'em coming. :D

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm
Chuck10931 says...

Not being able to buy points doesn't motivate me to review. I have other means of getting points.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:37 pm
Chuck10931 says...

Lucrezia wrote:
Chuck10931 wrote:You seem to have come here to hate.

Um, I'd hardly call that hating. She was being perfectly polite, just explaining some things.

I like the site design. My only issue is the fact that there's so much blue—but I only really have a problem with that because I'm the only person on earth that doesn't like the color blue. :smt003

Your other ideas are definitely good, though. The fanfic tab would be cool... of course, it's not a pressing issue since fanfic is still easily accessible, but it would be nice to have. Images in signatures would be fun!

Maybe a shop where you can buy YWS stuff! Like t-shirts and mugs and pens. That sorta crap and maybe you could even buy points.

I haven't checked out the YWS store yet, but I'm pretty sure they don't sell points—and I don't think they should. When I first joined, I was so upset that you couldn't buy points and actually had to review to get them, since I thought I would be lousy at reviews... but as it turns out, reviewing is awesome! And it helps people! The points system is a big motivator for people to review things, and if you could buy points, I think it would kind of ruin that. I know for me, personally, that if I'd been able to buy points, I probably would've never realized how awesome reviewing is.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You have some clever ideas, keep 'em coming. :D

It feels like hate.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm
Chuck10931 says...

lostthought wrote:It's not hating if she's not putting you down...

She kinda is. Well it feels like it. What I interpret is that she's saying my ideas are s*** and worthless.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:47 pm
lostthought says...

Then you are horrible at interpretation. @Iggy I think you need to explain
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:47 pm
deleted30 says...

Chuck10931 wrote:Not being able to buy points doesn't motivate me to review. I have other means of getting points.

Other means...? O_O

Anyway, it's true that some people on here don't review as a way to get points or just don't review at all, but I know for plenty of members, if they hadn't needed the points when they first joined, they probably wouldn't have started to review. And if they hadn't started to review, they wouldn't have become addicted found out how fun it is. :D

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:51 pm
Iggy says...

Watch your language. I'm editing out your curse word right now.

Chuck, you always think I'm attacking you. But I'm not. My post was clearly in support of majority of your ideas, so I have no idea where this is coming from.

But I digress. This is turning into an argument. Let's stay on topic.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 pm
Chuck10931 says...

Iggy wrote:Watch your language. I'm editing out your curse word right now.

Chuck, you always think I'm attacking you. But I'm not. My post was clearly in support of majority of your ideas, so I have no idea where this is coming from.

But I digress. This is turning into an argument. Let's stay on topic.

Why do you not have a swear filter here if you don't want me to swear. I think it's not fair that you can just edit my stuff and attack me. Why don't you go and f***ing ban me while you're at it or claim all my work as yours oh wait it's to s***. Sorry about that may aswell go edit it though it has some naughty words. IF you don't want to see the swear words don't come to this forum simple.
Last edited by Iggy on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for foul language.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 pm
Chuck10931 says...

Lucrezia wrote:
Chuck10931 wrote:Not being able to buy points doesn't motivate me to review. I have other means of getting points.

Other means...? O_O

Anyway, it's true that some people on here don't review as a way to get points or just don't review at all, but I know for plenty of members, if they hadn't needed the points when they first joined, they probably wouldn't have started to review. And if they hadn't started to review, they wouldn't have become addicted found out how fun it is. :D

Rather simple.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm
LadySpark says...

Chuck10931 wrote:
Your shop is hardly advertised.
The website needs a redesign it's kinda ugly.
The fanfiction tab I was meanign more like next to the storybooks tab. Not within another tab.

The swear filter is annoying can you atleast not replace it with oops and make it use stars instead?

You seem to have come here to hate.

It's true, the shop needs more advertising! Fan fiction is under literary, because it is indeed literary. It's not a very big part of YWS, like poetry is, for instance. If you're looking for a site that places more emphasis on fanfiction, you might want to look elsewhere.
The swear filter is there like Iggy said, because of the censorship policy. This site is targeted towards 13 year olds and the younger side of the teen scale. I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it. It's there to make everyonesafe.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:01 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Hey Chuck!

Chuck10931 wrote:Hai!

For starters I think it'd be nice for a liquid theme on the website.
What is this liquid them you ask?
Well. A liquid theme is where the web page will adjust to your browser size for example. The middle part will stretch to either side of the windows and not have all this empty space. For a live example click Here

This might actually be very useful, as I find that bullet points tend to wander into the empty space you mentioned.

Now onto point 2 or point B.
It's be nice for a new site design. Maybe a competition.
The competition may go something like this:
People design a website and the best design gets chosen and used? Just an idea I think it'd be cool.

The problem is that YWS is rather complicated. Underneath everything is a lot of code and modules; and redesigning them isn't easy. I'm not sure how the technical aspect would be. However, I do think it would be fun to see if we could incorporate more member driven graphics.

Another thing is that in signatures it'd be nice to have an image so maybe enable that?

It sounds nice on paper, but in practice people tend to fill it with lots of obnoxious material. Writing this response to you would be a lot more nauseating if there was a big picture of a banana in your signature. It's better if you don't ask why.

Also. Some things that would be nice but I'm not sure if you can do them.

• Spellcheck. Checks spelling and grammar when you post a new story.

This does seem to be missing from the feature list and would be a welcome addition.

• Add /attack back to the chat room. I liked that feature. xD

Seems a little hostile to me.

• Remove the swear filter on the chat boxes or make it optional. Okay so I swear a lot and I'm used to it and that swear filter annoys me a lot. So I understand why it's there but maybe make it optional so you can have it on or off.

Swearing is prohibited primarily because of the censorship policy, but a side-benefit is that it encourages our writers to be more mature. Some people swear so much, it makes me wonder if they only just discovered that the words existed. Profanity in a post reduces your maturity by ten years; while the lack thereof can add ten years of maturity.

• Maybe a shop where you can buy YWS stuff! Like t-shirts and mugs and pens. That sorta crap and maybe you could even buy points. Just an idea because I would most likely buy a mug.

We had a shop, but it doesn't appear to be present on the main site. We definitely need to make it easier for you all to give Nate money in return for awesome swag.

• A tab dedicated to fan fiction. You've got to have one.

I think a tab wouldn't really do; because fan fiction is present in stories, poetry, and even storybooks. If we made a tab for fan-fiction, we'd have to make subtabs for that tab that would look exactly like it does now. It's not very efficient.

Overall I think there are good ideas here and I'll make sure to pass them along to @Nate. Hey, I think I just did that...
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina