z

Young Writers Society

Chucks overly boring site suggestions!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:34 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Just a quick drive-by post to mention that the liquid design you're talking about is called responsive design, and it is a pain in the butt to code. It would be awesome if YWS had a more responsive design since it would also make the site more mobile-compatible, but Nate's the only coder, and adding in responsive design considerations on top of everything else that needs coding is a lot.

If a responsive design ever does get implemented, it probably won't be for a while since it would involve redesigning literally every aspect of the site.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

19 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 19
Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:25 am
Chuck10931 says...

Kyllorac wrote:Just a quick drive-by post to mention that the liquid design you're talking about is called responsive design, and it is a pain in the butt to code. It would be awesome if YWS had a more responsive design since it would also make the site more mobile-compatible, but Nate's the only coder, and adding in responsive design considerations on top of everything else that needs coding is a lot.

If a responsive design ever does get implemented, it probably won't be for a while since it would involve redesigning literally every aspect of the site.

It's actually rather easy to do once you know what you are doing.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 am
Chuck10931 says...

lostthought wrote:Then you are horrible at interpretation. @Iggy I think you need to explain

Not horrible. I just see things unlike everyone else. Why do you think I want you all to die?
I want that to happen because it would be funny.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:42 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Chuck10931 wrote:Not horrible. I just see things unlike everyone else. Why do you think I want you all to die?

Okay, let's get a few things straight. Joking about everyone dying, no matter in what context, is never funny. Period. Regardless of whether you meant it maliciously or not—and I'm tempted to think the former, considering how you've been treating everyone that took the time to respond to this thread.

Secondly, I feel the comments you've made to the people here have been entirely rude. As I said, the people that posted took time out of their day to give you a thoughtful response. You might disagree with their responses, but you're seriously going about it the wrong way. You're acting like their points are invalid. Listen, dude, if you didn't want people to critique your ideas, you really shouldn't have posted them. Because people can and will disagree with you.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 am
Chuck10931 says...

Lucrezia wrote:
Chuck10931 wrote:Not horrible. I just see things unlike everyone else. Why do you think I want you all to die?

Okay, let's get a few things straight. Joking about everyone dying, no matter in what context, is never funny. Period. Regardless of whether you meant it maliciously or not—and I'm tempted to think the former, considering how you've been treating everyone that took the time to respond to this thread.

Secondly, I feel the comments you've made to the people here have been entirely rude. As I said, the people that posted took time out of their day to give you a thoughtful response. You might disagree with their responses, but you're seriously going about it the wrong way. You're acting like their points are invalid. Listen, dude, if you didn't want people to critique your ideas, you really shouldn't have posted them. Because people can and will disagree with you.

I disagree. Death is funny. It's not like anyone cares about it anymore. No ones going out and changing society to make it a better place. So why not just retreat to the darkness and join in with the fun.

Well. That's there own fault. They are the ones that wasted there life coming here. I never told them to. Nor did I say they would like what they would find here. I am going about this the right way imho. Seeing as the majority of these people deserve it. Not rude just misunderstood.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 am
Vincente says...

Chuck10931 wrote:I disagree. Death is funny. It's not like anyone cares about it anymore. No ones going out and changing society to make it a better place. So why not just retreat to the darkness and join in with the fun.

Joke about death to your own self. Don't post in on a public forum. Because it's offensive to many people, myself included. Not to mention off-topic. And don't even start acting like it doesn't offend people, because then you're seriously off-base.

Well. That's there own fault. They are the ones that wasted there life coming here. I never told them to. Nor did I say they would like what they would find here. I am going about this the right way imho. Seeing as the majority of these people deserve it. Not rude just misunderstood.

Deserve it? What did they do that warrants being attacked or spoken to rudely? Everyone that's posted here has been very civil to you. Much more polite than you've been to them.

If you want an honest opinion, I don't like your ideas very much. I think the site design's just fine the way it is. Having an optional swear-word censor won't happen; quit complaining. A fanfic tab is unnecessary. And fanfic is easy enough to access as is; what's a few extra clicks?

There you have it, an honest opinion. And before you attack me, keep in mind I'm treating you better than you've treated a lot of the people that have responded to this thread.

19 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 am
Chuck10931 says...

Vincente wrote:
Chuck10931 wrote:I disagree. Death is funny. It's not like anyone cares about it anymore. No ones going out and changing society to make it a better place. So why not just retreat to the darkness and join in with the fun.

Joke about death to your own self. Don't post in on a public forum. Because it's offensive to many people, myself included. Not to mention off-topic. And don't even start acting like it doesn't offend people, because then you're seriously off-base.

Deserve it? What did they do that warrants being attacked or spoken to rudely? Everyone that's posted here has been very civil to you. Much more polite than you've been to them.

If you want an honest opinion, I don't like your ideas very much. I think the site design's just fine the way it is. Having an optional swear-word censor won't happen; quit complaining. A fanfic tab is unnecessary. And fanfic is easy enough to access as is; what's a few extra clicks?

There you have it, an honest opinion. And before you attack me, keep in mind I'm treating you better than you've treated a lot of the people that have responded to this thread.

Thank you for your honesty that is all I wanted.

1220 Reviews

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 am
Kale says...

Chuck10931 wrote:It's actually rather easy to do once you know what you are doing.

It's not so bad if you're starting from scratch, but with a site this old and large, there's a lot of things that need to be converted and reformatted. It adds up really fast, especially since sites this old tend to be monstrosities of mismatched bits of code and formatting.

I've converted sites to responsive designs before, and the more established and feature-rich the site, the more of a pain it is to make a responsive design for. YWS would be nightmarish based on my own experiences.
WRFF | KotGR

19 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 am
Chuck10931 says...

If they do it slowly overtime it could work. A section at a time. It would be nice.

Also if they were to say redesign the website with a newer cleaner sort of look it wouldn't be to hard.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 am
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Back to the topic at hand: I love all of these ideas. Additionally, I think that with his infinite time and energy, Nate should also implement a lightsaber engine, a virtual deathstar, a C3P0 AI, a Jar Jar Binks chatbot, a webcam controlled force-lightning generator, and an open-source Millennium Falcon.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

1220 Reviews

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:15 am
Kale says...

Chuck10931 wrote:If they do it slowly overtime it could work. A section at a time. It would be nice.

Also if they were to say redesign the website with a newer cleaner sort of look it wouldn't be to hard.

It would be really nice. But that's easy to say since I'm not going to be the one doing all the work~

(my sympathies to whoever does do the work)

(maybe we should set up a caffeine pipeline beforehand)

(in preparation)
WRFF | KotGR

19 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 am
Chuck10931 says...

A pipe that carries coffee all over the world. Okay. Let's do this!

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 am
Willard says...

Just stay on topic
Last edited by Willard on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 am
View Likes
RobinSparkles says...

Strange wrote:Everyone has the right to be snappy, but when lostthought criticized Chuck openly, shots were fired. It doesn't help your point. Opinions are what everyone has. ( I do have a dark sense of humor.) This argument between Chuck and everyone has gone too far. A statement that took it over the line?
"Now, before you attack me," just that.
I ask to stay on topic

I'm all for staying on topic, so I'll make this brief. When did lostthought criticize Chuck? When she said he was bad at interpretation? I personally found that to be funny, not mean. I think she met it jokingly.

A statement that took it over the line?
"Now, before you attack me," just that.

I disagree. How does that take it over the line?? To me, the comment that took it way, way, way over the line was this:

Not horrible. I just see things unlike everyone else. Why do you think I want you all to die?

There's a difference between dark humor and saying something horrible. Remarking that if everyone that commented on this thread would die, it'd be funny, is taking things way too far. And no, it wasn't funny at all.
Writer of the Week : I'M A JUDGE!

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:39 am
View Likes
Willard says...

@RobinSparkles , I do have to agree. Still doesn't lighten the situation.
Also, I forgot to clear up that wasn't funny.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart