z

Young Writers Society

What do you think you'd do if someone put a gun to your head

What do you think you'd do if someone put a gun to your head

Freeze up
50%
Start crying and mumble nonsense and "don't shoot me"
No votes
Give him whatever he wants and call the police when he's gone.
No votes
Attempt to disarm the attacker
50%
Spit in his face, sneer and say "Go ahead make my day"
No votes
Pull out your own gun for a mexican standoff.
No votes

Total votes : 2

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm
Joe says...

It's a dark and stormy night. You're steps echo as you walk down an old, cobblestone road.
Suddenly, a hooded figure steps out from an alley and pushes a gun into your forehead. What next?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm
Zolen says...

Only a idiot would do that, the forehead is very hard to cut through at a poor angle and easy for someone to shove a gun out of the way, only risking a bun and some lost scalp, maybe a dent on the skull if the criminal expected it.

Then I have a very sharp knife and he just exposed his entire body to me because he walked so close. Only a fool walks around at night or a questionable alleyway unarmed...or if the government were fools and banned the ability to be armed.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:12 pm
Joe says...

This is just a hypothetical question @Zolen like would you like a million dollars etc. I just thought it would be interesting to see how people would deal with an immense threat. But it would be easy for someone to send a bullet past your skull at point blank range with no angle. A shot fired from a handgun can go through car doors even old brick walls. From farther away the threat would be minimal. Handguns are very poor in accuracy and 75% of gun wounds are non lethal. Anyway I'm talking point blank.
I seriously disagree with your second point. Firstly who carries a concealed knife with them at all times? If you stabbed him in this scenario you wouldn't even brake skin before a bullet was lodged in your brain. He'd almost certainly shoot you if you dared move your hands out of his vision.
Lastly, and I know this isn't everyones opinion, but I'd be quite glad if Americans banned the right to bear arms. Mind you I'm not American so it doesn't effect me much but I think you'd be a lot happier. To put it in perspective, Canadians are 300% less likely to be murdered than Americans. This is because Canadians can't walk into the grocery store and pick out a rifle. I've never heard of a psychopath walking into a school armed in canada, it just doesn't happen.
Anyway it's not my place to meddle.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 pm
Zolen says...

Yes I like to analyze these situations, thus what I did, and now I feel like debating a little, sorry.

Which hand gun? Gauge, angle, location, and timing are all important factors. Then there is a very obvious thing, reaction time, tell me dear sir if a man pointed a gun at you what does that mean, if you are still alive that means his aim is to speak to you first or that he/she does not plan to kill you at all. The moment you move to shove his gun out of the way, unless he expected it (if you go walk up to a person at point blank with a pistol then you clearly are not thinking, it's a gun, made for long range use, easily deadly without being within their reach.) he is not going to get a chance to pull the trigger at all unless you cause to happen by mistake or you wait to long to react. If he did somehow pull the trigger at that point while shoving the gun out, it would at a 60 degree angle at least, if we pretend for a second the angle starts at 0. Even a weak person would be able to over power the gunmen thanks to surprise and footing being on your side.

Out of his vision? The whole thing will be in it, and if he has not shot you, he is not be planning to, and expecting to see your hand reach for a pocket for your money. In all likelihood he is not prepared to kill and is probably already thinking about his escape route, thus focus set elsewhere.

Then,
Once that gun is raised from you shoving it up, he likely has one arm in the air and the other by his side or pointed at you in a non-defensive posture. Open to a attack for at the very least 5 seconds, unless again he expected this, which likely is not the case, in that time you can easily pull out a knife before even having to worry about fighting over the gun.

I never said at all times, you gave a condition of a old road at night, a risky place to be, if I planned to go to such a risky location, I personally would be armed.

You are free to be idealistic, and I am free to be a pessimist as far as gun control.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:15 pm
Dreamery says...

There needs to be a "Negotiation" option!

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown