z

Young Writers Society

Nominate a YWS Writer of the Week!

Do you think having a Writer of the Week is...

A dumb idea. Really dumb.
5%
A mildly interesting idea.
16%
An amazing idea! How has no one thought of this before?!
18%
A really, really great concept. Let's make this a regular thing!
50%
A good idea, but only if I get to be Writer of the Week.
11%

Total votes : 56

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I'm gonna vote @blueafrica, for her awesome story, The Book Man, of which I will be reviewing ASAP. (Sorry babe <3)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 am
deleted30 says...

Cheetah: 1 vote

AlexSushiDog: 1 vote

TriSARAHtops: 2 votes

Cirute: 1 vote

FatCowsSis: 1 vote

AnnieBauthor: 1 vote

Strange: 1 vote

yubbies21: 1 vote

SecreteJournalist: 2 votes

thomasmkraus: 2 votes

BlueAfrica: 1 vote

Keep voting, guys! Y'all have until tomorrow night to get your nominations in. And remember, if you voted for me, you can change your vote to someone else that's actually viable! :smt003

Reviews: 1
Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 am
View Likes
Cosette4Ever says...

Wow. Who are the two jerks that said in the poll this is a really dumb idea?? That's so mean!

Anyway. I just looked at all the nominees's portfolios in order to choose someone to vote for. (That is how dedicated I am to this, @Lucrezia!) I'm going to pick @TriSARAHtops because her work really spoke to me. :)

Random avatar

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Cosette4Ever wrote:Wow. Who are the two jerks that said in the poll this is a really dumb idea?? That's so mean!

Haha, I didn't even notice that! XD But it's okay. I mean, different strokes for different folks, right? :wink:

TriSARAHtops: 3 votes

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I was kind of considering being a smartaleck and ticking the last option but this is actually an awesome idea. And I am so stoked that people have voted for me... Thank you so much guys! :-D
I had no clue who vote for and felt kinda bad for that but have decided to nominate @fortis cos her You Remember story rocked.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Random avatar

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:00 pm
deleted30 says...

fortis: 1 vote

Just a heads-up to everyone—we won't be doing the voting system again next week. I don't want anyone to vote for someone based on their popularity rather than their writing merits, and even though the majority of you did not do that, I still don't want even one person to vote for the wrong reasons.

I also don't want anyone to feel left out or jilted if they don't get a vote (and you shouldn't—the truth is, there's just a TON of great writers on here and everyone only gets one vote!).

So, if you want to vote, do it this week. Also, voting will end tonight, at around 8 PM PST. So get your nominations in before then, please!

Thanks guys! :D

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 pm
View Likes
rhiasofia says...

Going to vote for @Purple, she's written some really great poems, and is very consisting in publishing them here.
Your head is a living forest full of song birds
~E. E. Cummings

Random avatar

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm
deleted30 says...

fortis: 1 vote

Purple: 1 vote

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

I nominate @Pompadour for writing absolutely amazing poetry time after time after time!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm
Messenger says...

Wow. Who are the two jerks that said in the poll this is a really dumb idea?? That's so mean!

I was one of them.However, i don't feel that harsh about the idea,it was just the closest option. And although I don't personally take offense by your comment, calling people jerks isn't very tactful.

Random avatar

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 pm
deleted30 says...

@Messenger, what is it you don't like about Writer of the Week? I'm trying to work out the kinks right now and any criticism is much appreciated. :)

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 pm
Messenger says...

Well we already have a Featured Member every two weeks. And we have the spotlight which gets a lot of writers plenty of attention and we have squills articles with some of those writers. I just think it's an unneeded addition that isn't very original.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 am
View Likes
lostthought says...

Every two weeks? No, it's every week. Ok messenger, if you're going to debate this, first you need to list the pros and cons. Let's make a list. Can you full it in for me please? And don't be stubborn and put at least one pro. @Messenger

Pro

Con
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Let's remember to be classy, not trashy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and that does not make them a jerk, however harsh or honest it may be.

lostthought, Messenger is right. Featured Members are changed every two weeks.

There really isn't anything to debate about. I like Lucrezia's idea and I gave her the okay to do this. She and I agree the voting was a bad idea, hence why it won't be happening again. Writer of the Week is something unique; I haven't seen it done before. It gives everyone a chance to be in the spotlight, since Lucrezia will be basing her judging on all writers, not just her friends or her boyfriend or people in the Literary Spotlight... right, Lucrezia? Anyways, it's a good idea, and I'm willing to see how it works out. So should all of you.

Anyways x2, I will be locking this thread before I go to bed tonight (Pacific time zone) to prevent edits and last minute votes, so get your finalized votes in ASAP.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 am
View Likes
Gardevite says...

Since I'm indifferent to the idea, I think I'll make a little list for myself.

Pros:
1) More author focused.
2)It's nice to feel recognized.
3)It could promote reading of literary works (and reviewing).
4)Fun little weekly event.

Cons:
1) (from what I've seen here) it's a lot of voting for friends. Like the reasons are valid, but what about the newer member with no friends to vote? I.e. It's a bit biased.
2)While it's more author focused, it's very similar to the 'featured work's section.
3)A week is a very short amount of time, and it would lose a lot of the-importance- I guess.
4)I don't think any of the writing of that actual week has anything to do with who can and cannot be voted for.

Some things I'd suggest:
1)Have the Writer of the Week be based on the writing of that specific week. (If it's not already)
2)More time than just a week would make it more significant.

Personally I think it would work better as a squills article than a stand alone event. Well that's my two cents, anyways.

Also, what Ig said. ^^^^^^ maybe a group of people with different tastes and interests could form some sort of panel.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues