Young Writers Society

YWS Analytical Literary Magazine

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 am
Aley says...

YWS Analytical Literary Magazine

This is a work in progress, but I'm hoping it takes off. Whenever you see things in [these], it is something I am hoping for, but cannot guarantee right now. ALM (The YWS Analytical Literary Magazine) [will try] to fill a gap between YWS and publication magazines which may help us transition from publishing and improving on YWS, to analytical discussion on literature as a finished product.

1.1 Index
Index wrote:1. The YWS Analytical Literary Magazine [x]
1.1 Index
1.2 The Vision

2. ALM Style [x]
2.1 What ALM Does
2.2 Examples

3. Submissions [x]
3.1 Applications to Join ALM
3.2 Submitting YWS Work
3.3 Submission Guidelines

4. ALM Staff [x]

1.2 The Vision

ALM is a[n attempt at a] Literary Magazine about and for YWS works. Like Squills - The YWS News, it is about YWS and will [hopefully] get articles published once a week by multiple individuals. These articles will be reviews in the analytical style that academia prides itself on. These articles will be written by YWSers who have adapted to occasionally review in this style.

Last edited by Aley on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am
Aley says...

2. ALM Style

While it is not concrete, and not like a school paper, it does require several things. First, the aim of these articles is not to provide helpful feedback to improve, but to discuss poems or prose for what they are doing, and how they are accomplishing their affects.

2.2 What ALM Does
ALM [will hopefully] strive to provide YWS with information on literary devices, discourse in the feilds, and interesting comparisons. Some topics could include
One work for the devices used, and reasons to read it
A subject which has been popular on YWS
A writer and their different habits or styles
A prevalent style emerging on YWS

Most of these things will be chosen by the writer instead of submitted, reviews on individual works [probably] can be solicited [depending on work load and participation].

When a review is published in ALM there will be a link to any works discussed at the end of the article as well as tags to anyone included in the review.

Examples
For examples please read the following reviews:

CowLogic: The Backyard Review
Falling Under: Episode I: "Wonderland" (Sneak Peek)
Anything marked with "Backyard Reviews" by CowLogic will do.

Aley:
blog/Aley/review_of_do_you_hear_the_piano%CA%94_b-59433.html

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am
Aley says...

3. Submissions

[I am considering making a guild for ALM writers to work inside and for people to submit to in the case of this kicking off well.]

3.1 Application to Join

[To join at the moment please provide an example of your analytical review style based on the above criteria.

Later we will require some of the following criteria depending on the ideas of the group]

To join please provide:
An example of your analytical review style
Links to the works used
What you like to read
Frequency of your activity on YWS
Plans which may impede your activity in the future
The reason you wish to join ALM

3.2 Submitting YWS Work

Although it is not necessary to submit your work yourself, please be respectful of people if they do not wish their work to be reviewed in the ALM style.

Any work submitted may be rejected for submission. In this case it may sit around waiting for a new ALM member to review, or it may be rejected with a rejection letter, in which case it will not be reviewed in the current condition. If you wish, you can resubmit the work after edits.
Some reasons your work may be rejected outright could be: little interest in the conversation the work is related to, lack of a willing reviewer within the month, similar work has already been reviewed, the work has been used in another review, the submission guidelines have not been followed.

3.3 Submission Guidelines

[At the moment ALM is not accepting submissions. When we have several reviewers who are comfortable writing these reviews, we will open submissions.]

Some guidelines to look forward to:

Please send your submission [somewhere]. We will only accept one submission per month, so please keep track of when you submit the piece. Poetry and prose submission should be no longer than 5,000 words long. Include a critic you would like to review your work, and why that critic interests you.

We hope that anyone who submits to ALM is also a subscriber to ALM who reads articles published.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 am
View Likes
Aley says...

4. ALM Staff

Currently we are down to me. Yup.

Later I hope to fill this out with spoils.
Spoiler! :
Come tell me if you'll join or what you think @CowLogic @AriaAdams @Blues @carbonCore @BlueAfrica @fortis

Anyone else interested? SEND ME A LINE

Aley
Spoiler! :
Hi!

This is me. I am posting this just sort of to show you what this would look like if I actually did this.

I'm the creator of this, but not the originator of bringing literary review to YWS. That is actually our lovely CowLogic who I am hoping to convince to join.

I love to write about poetry, and I know a lot of poetry devices. I am especially apt at structured poetry.

In order to get more staff, I'm going to run a contest to write the best literary reviews.

Currently we are running a Review Contest to fill this section out: ALM Reviewing Contest

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace