z

Young Writers Society

Do you know anyone famous?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:14 am
Cade says...

I know/have met a few writers...you probably recognize the name Vivian Vande Velde...the others aren't as well known, but I know a Newbery Award winner and someone who was published in Harper's. And I babysit for a woman who used to be an editor at the New York Times.

My physics teacher has done special effects-ish stuff for various TV shows and owns his own scientific photography company. He did the opening of the Bachelor or the Bachelorette and he's made some images for CSI. One time in physics he showed us the machine setup he used to make a piece for American Idol...it has something to do with swirly rainbows. So he's not really "famous" in the pop culture sense, but his work is all over the place.

My seventh grade science teacher ran the Magic Club at school. He used to work for David Copperfield and other people in Vegas and at one point, I think, when he was a teenager, he held the record for getting out of a straitjacket. Or maybe it was getting out of a straitjacket upside-down. Either way. Some pretty crazy stuff.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:26 pm
KailaMarie says...

Ive seen Steven Tyler, but that's not a big deal where i live cuz he lives near me.

And the brother from Everybody Loves Raymond was down town when I was working there. I didn't see him but the person I was working with ran down the street to see him. lol.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:41 pm
Snoink says...

Joe Nemechek! He looked kind of annoyed, but hey! It was hot in the pits and he was wearing his racing gear, so I cut him some slack. Plus, he was being badgered by an over exuberant fan. Not me... I was a good little girl. <3 He gave me this autograph thing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:14 am
Demeter says...

I don't think I really know anyone famous. But I've met almost all the actors and actresses from Finland's most popular drama series :) And that's because I've been there myself three times, only as extra though... But I'm going to show on TV! Yay! :D

Hmm. Then I have Christopher Romberg's autograph. I know you don't know who he is, so I'll tell you. He was the Finnish voice of young Simba in Lion King. :D But I haven't met him, I just wrote to him. So I don't know if that counts.

It'd be so cool to meet Nate! :lol:
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:26 am
Nutty says...

I know someone...sort of famous.

My dad and uncle grew up with the bass player of The D4, who never made it huge but were known overseas, and I saw them on TV a few times, opening for larger bands, and on a NZ music show. I know him as Willie and he comes over some years on christmas to see my dad.

Here's a song of theirs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoAXIMTI ... re=related

(for those who can't tell who's the bass player, Willie's the one with dark hair)
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:39 pm
Jiggity says...

I met Neil Gaiman and got him to sign stuff for me! Wee!

My friend works at a posh hotel - Park Hyatt, right beneath the Harbour Bridge and he has met tones of famous people and served them food and been tipped by them. Needless to say, I hate him. He's met Dave Grohl, Chris Rock, Seth Rogen, Catherine Zeta Jones, Baz Luhrman, etc.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:00 am
Moony says...

my cousin is famous, Ruby Jane Smith and then my great uncle Jimmy Dwayne is actually a member of the original Grand Ol' Opre(however you spell it)

i've met Carmon Electra too but i didn't say anything to her because at the time i had no idea who she was

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 am
Jon says...

Moon-- Your cousin is a fiddler?

Can you play?
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:14 pm
Blue-Orange says...

I've met Jacqueline Wilson at a book signing. (English writer - childrens/girls books)
She wasn't very nice when I asked her a question though . . .

I've also met the men who wote the Edge Chronicals, they were cool and even drew a picture of a monster for my friend.

Um, other than that, no one. My mum's boyfriend knows a man who is somesort-of agent for English celebrities/singers. He hangs out with the Pussycat Dolls and Rachel Stephens, and people like that.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 pm
JabberHut says...

My best friend's mom is a published author. Kristin Wolden Nitz I guess is what she goes by. She writes children and YA books. She came to visit us two weeks ago. It was so exciting! ^^

And, well... I'm famous. Everyone knows me, I mean, c'mon. Who doesn't know me and love me?

Boing!
I make my own policies.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 pm
Rydia says...

I don't know anyone heavily famous but I met Beverley Naidoo when she came to my school. She's author of Journey to Joburg, out of bounds, web of lies etc and quite a lot of children's books. It was strange. I was at the talk and didn't think too much of it, just asked a couple of questions and was awarded with some pretty good answers.

But later, when I was in the school library, she was talking to the librarian. I was sort of sat in an out of the way little corner and they were discussing this poem that was on show at the entrance to the library. My poem. Oh it wasn't anything good, just something that the librarian happened to take a liking to because it was make poverty history week and John Grogan (Member of Parliament for Selby) decided he liked it.

But yeah, I sort of sat there, hiding behind my book as Mrs Courson said it was a pity I wasn't in the library and that I usually was and then she was walking down the shelves, putting books back and saw me. It was awkward for a moment as she realised I'd been listening but she introduced me and I talked to Beverley a little which was nice and she insisted on me having a message and her signature from her which I've still got in my room somewhere. And you know what she wrote? 'Read the world.' I don't think she realised just how appropriate it was, or maybe she did?

Then I've met Clive Gott who's a famous speaker and a real cool guy. I ended up obsessed with his advice for a while and dead chuffed when he published a short e-mail I sent him in one of his newsletters but then he said something to me. He said he loves putting people on their paths in life and watching them out-grow him. I suddenly realised that it was time I started finding out who I am instead of living by his teachings, you know? But I do miss his sense of humour! Still, I stole too much of his time with my e-mails. Especially after his run across the Sahara desert for charity. I don't think I've met a better man.

If you've not heard of him, look him up. Send him an e-mail and have a chat with him. He's amazingly awesome and so down to earth for a famous guy. He's the only famous person I've met who didn't offer me their autograph. And he's the one I'd have appreciated it from most XD

There have been a few others but mostly small time authors and a singer or two. People who you'd have never heard of but who had a small impact on my life. (Ron Terre has a hell of a personality. He was part of the drifters, one of their back-up singers who filled in when one was ill and such. And he's dead good and lives in my favourite place on the entire planet (Pueblo Evita) which gets him bonus points.)

Not too impressive huh? I had this conversation with my ex actually who scoffed at the people I've met. But then, he's pally with the crew from star wars so I guess I can't compare to him *rolls eyes* And yes that was sarcasm. I'm not a star wars fan and I don't rate their taste in Christmas cards. Seriously! If I had the choice, I'd spend time with Clive Gott!

(But the film cell from pirates of the caribean with the cast signatures almost made me change my mind. Neil's an ambitious none-professional film director and his parents are along the same lines...)

Oh and my sister and I are currently dead jealous of her friend who met Simon and the crew on Britain's got Talent when she was working as one of their runners. She has all their autographs! *grumbles*
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 pm
Jon says...

I think I'm going to look up Clive Gott now, You have me curious, kitty.

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:10 pm
Swottielottie says...

Blue-Orange wrote:I've met Jacqueline Wilson at a book signing. (English writer - childrens/girls books)
She wasn't very nice when I asked her a question though . . .

What did she say?

I've met a few authors, Meg Rosoff, Penny Kendal and some actors from Lord of the Rings, The people who played: Haldir, The King, some of the elves and that woman... whasthername, the one the Sam marries in the end?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:10 pm
Rydia says...

http://www.clivegott.com/newsletters/ne ... 40/sv/true - the latest issue of his newsletter. And I just flicked through and he's giving away lots of his old stuff for donations to charity. Recalling his taste in books, I'm sorely tempted to contact him and ask for an autograph at the same time but ah, I think that would lower his opinion of me to 'derived fan'.

I think I have to make more of my life so that I have some sort of story to tell before I get back in touch. But yes, do look him up =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm
Blue-Orange says...

Swottielottie wrote:What did she say?

She didn't say anything, just sort-of made a noise, then gave me my book back without a word and smiled at the next kid.

Put me right off her books.

Talent is something that comes from within; it has nothing to do with age.
— AURORA