z

Young Writers Society

In Memory of the Troops!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm
Fishr says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8gBpRO ... re=related

I was looking up the "Highland Sword Dance" and upon doing so was rather struck when I found this video. Perhaps those of us who had or have family that serviced might understand more thoroughly. Nevertheless, I'm NOT, and I repeat, NOT being Patriotic, though that is the term now and days. I'm simply reflecting.

For me, I've had every family member to the Rev. War to the Korean War, except WW1, serve. How about the rest of you?

Instead of my usual 18th century shout, "God Save the Troops!"
Last edited by Fishr on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:30 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

ter about 1 1/2 minutes I couldn't watch any more. That's sad. SOrry. My grandpa, Poppy served in I think ww2. And my great grandpa who died when I was just a baby seved in I think ww1. My dad was in the army but he was just a cook and a repair man for those awaome helicopeter things. Shunoks? ANy way. I'm not sure when he served.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

365 Reviews

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:54 pm
Fishr says...

You have no reason to apologize. I had two uncles that served in WW2. One I knew up to the point of 10, and the other I never got the chance to meet. The one I never got the chance to speak too actually passed last year, about the time I was doing geneaology work. Both were Veterans.

There is one Vet local in my area who was discharge due to I believe to a serious injury to his kneecap. He was in Iraq. I've known this Vet for quite a few years prior to his service in the War. Before, he was outgoing, had a great sense of humor and enjoyed talking with you. It's true a war can change the very core of a person. Now, this same person, he is cynical in nature, his humor is rather flat and demeanor is outlandish, like he lost part of himself somewhere.

I only put the Vid here to help us remember and reflect. I am by no means trying to be a "flag waver." I just feel that most people choose TO forget and don't want to ackowledge the truth. Well, now you can't run any longer. ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 am
Meshugenah says...

On one side, I know there was Rev. and civil for sure -- not sure about any others up until WWI. WWI, Korea and Vietnam, for sure -- other than those, I don't know ^^ but on dad's side there's a long history of it, and on mom's as long as any part of her family has lived in this country, yes.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 am
myfreindsavamp says...

My grandpa was in the hospitol a year or so back and he was so out of it a few times he say snakes comeing out of the ceiling and he even hit my aunt. His nurse was um.. I don't really remember now but they had to change the nurse because my grandpa was thretening her. I do beleive they loss something when some one signs up for the army. My dad sure changed and my mom and him devorced. Now both have been remaried and it sucks. Oh well. *Shrug*

Gess we all loss some and gain some along the way.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

365 Reviews

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:10 pm
Fishr says...

Here is a more uplifting version. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMOXuF7i ... re=related

No one does it better than the Gael. Funny, that's the title of this song: "The Gael."

Thanks for sharing you two.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm
alwaysawriter says...

My Dad's serving his fourth deployment right now and I've grown up around soilders. I haven't met anyone from those wars but on Memorial Day, I was part of a service to thank Pearl Habor survirors. It was awesome. It was no more than an hour and it was broadcasted somewhere but I'm not sure where. After it was over, we got to shake hands with the surviviors. The lady who organized it gave us wristbands that say "Remember" I'm still wearing the wristband, even though the words have worn off. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

365 Reviews

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:57 pm
Fishr says...

My 3rd G. Grandfather, 1st Sergeant, W. Landon had served in the American Civil War. His militery records show that he received a bullet to the eye. The story that's been passed down in my family goes, when Landon fell on the battlefield, his fellow comrades said, "Well, Landon's dead." In his photograph, his left eye is clearly slanted or drooped down, yet, in his records the wound is said to be in the right eye. Ah well, I could litterally go on and on about this grandfather because the more I learn about him, the more I wish he was still alive. A monologist, he was, and while most soldiers would dismiss questions concerning their service, Landon WANTED you to remember and never forget. He has been published too, which is kinda funny on the turnout with that one.

Always- That's cool that you still have the wristband. My uncle served (well two of them did) in WW2 but I don't think either were near Pear Harbor. Has your dad been to Iraq at all?

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 pm
Sportgurl46 says...

My Grandpa was in the Air Force for 50 years. He fought in the Vietnam War. He has a numerous amount of awards and when he finally retired, some secret service agents snuck my grandpas American Flag into the Oval Office at the White House, brought it back after a while, and now he has it in a picture frame. (folded up) and...and...ok, that's all i know. He is still alive and besides the fact that at times he is a little nutty, I love him with all my heart. He is very healthy and even goes to the gym :)
I think it is very cool that you started this thread. now we can all learn a little more about the great people who made our lives what they are today :)
omg lol thx HD!

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm
OverEasy says...

My step dad was in the Navy, as well as two of my uncles and my brother in law. I've had so many grandfathers that fought in wars going back in time I couldn't name them all... but one of my best friends was in the Army. He's no longer with us, and I would like to dedicate this to him.

Even if you don't support the war, which I don't, then support the troops that are over there. Sometimes they don't make it back to us...

This is for Guy (yes that was his name), an amazing person with a big heart and a little girl that he never got to meet. We love you and miss you.
Life is for living.

365 Reviews

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:00 pm
Fishr says...

Yes, every so often I reflect, though that's a lie. ;) I think about all sorts of things all the time but for some reason I'm hung up on this subject. Perhaps it's because I see Vets, meet them, or what have you every so often and knowing my own militery background in regards to my family, it holds a little stronger.

Wow!! 50 years???? I salute your Grandfather. Nam, eh? I don't know much about that war but have heard some ... stories. The Flag, regarding your grandfather is very interesting. He didn't receive any injuries, right? Thanks for sharing. I'll probably bombard you later with questions, once I think of some. ;)

Another grandfather of mine, parental, was in the Navy but in no war(s). He taught all of his sons and tried to teach his daughters all the knots of the sailor. My three uncles on my mom's side, minus one, all know the knots. He tried teaching a few to me and my sisters and a few to my cousins. I think my grandfather focused more on me, though not sure why. At any rate, the only knot I've retained from memory is the Hangman's Knot -- go figure. ;) Perhaps someday I'll find a book with the knots and relearn how to tie them.

From the American Revolution, I'll just yank only two of my kin. Two brothers - one - Amasa Ladd (my 8th G. Uncle) and Nathaniel Ladd (Amasa's older brother and my 8th G. Grandfather) both fought in this war and survived to ripe, old ages. Amasa served both in the CT and VT Militia. From my research, about the time of the end of his service he *might* have received the rank of Captain. Nathaniel came to the Lexington Alarm as a Pvt. for three days. He also served in the CT Militia and also became a Vet. Both brothers were among the earliest survivors of Pittsford, Vermont. Amasa's stone, I fear, no longer exists. Nathaniel's is still standing. There is an interesting story concerning the soon-to-be- wife of Amasa. In short, Elizabeth (Cox) Ladd was attacked by three Indians hiding behind a boulder in Pittsford's mountains. Her and her companion's horse's necks were both slashed by the Indians and they proceeded to bathe themselves in the beast's blood.

Lovely, eh?

365 Reviews

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 pm
Fishr says...

OverEasy -

Yes! Tenfold! It doesn't matter if any person supports the war but always, always support the Troops! In other words, Pugna Pro Patria!

My sincere sympathy to your friend. May he be remembered.

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser