z

Young Writers Society

How to Enjoy Your Geek Moments

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 pm
Areida says...

I'm having a major geek moment, so I figured that I'd take advantage of it and finally make a post in Squills like I've been meaning to.

Most of you know that I love my school. More than is normal, to be sure. I mean, of course there are times when I want to gag myself with a spork because I've been given an impossible amount of homework or because a teacher is about to drive me insane. But I wouldn't switch to our local high school if you paid me. My school's unusual, and that's what makes it awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My summer kind of got off to a rough start. When I started at my school (henceforth to be called RA) in eighth grade, I was the only eighth grader in the whole school. My freshman year another girl started, and so now she and I are the graduating class of 2008. Well, last year (the school's very young) we just graduated our first class of seniors (yep, all four of them!). Those four girls were some of the best friends I'd had in a very long time, and so seeing them go was a lot harder than I would have liked to admit to myself. Especially since their graduating made me the oldest student in the whole school.

Plus I knew I wasn't going to have two teachers that I'd had all three years at RA and I was getting two new teachers that I didn't know anything about since they were coming from Montana. So you can see why I had my doubts as to whether or not RA was going to remain the absolutely awesome place I'd fallen in love with.

HOWEVER, I've met my two new teachers (they seem very nice), we have an amazing new administrator (a lady I happen to have known my entire life), and I'm thinking that being the oldest might not be so bad.

So now... at 6:24 on the Sunday before my first day of eleventh grade... I AM PUMPED.

Seriously. I'm so hyper, it's insane. Dad even dragged us out of bed this morning before eight after we'd gone to bed at two and made us walk three miles before we went to church. So I should be quite exhausted by this point but I'm just too dang excited. Listening to my brand new Mozart Requiem CD isn't helping either; it reminds me of Amadeus too much, which I love, so that makes me even more hyper!

I already know what our first Omnibus readings are going to be, and I've got Omnibus lecture first period too. That's going to be pretty awesome since it's just me and the other junior girl and our teacher. He's already told us we're welcome to caffeine up during that hour. Small schools are awesome. XD

So here's the game plan for the rest of the evening:

- Copy more Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Handel to computer.
- Eat something, preferably some meat. Meat is so good.
- Watch an episode of the original Star Trek series with padre and younger sisters.
- Lay out uniform.
- Obsess about school.
- Grow even more insanely excited about school.
- Call someone from school and squeal in their ear about how excited I am about school.
- Smell a book (to get warmed up for all the new ones I'll have tomorrow).
- Lay in bed and try to fall asleep while thinking about school.
- Be excited because I don't have to decide what to wear anymore. Uniforms are so friggin' awesome.

So that's the basic plan anyway.

But anyway, here's what you should take away from this (though, if all you remember is that Ari's creepy then you've learned something important, though still fairly obvious):

SCHOOL IS COOL.

No, I'm totally serious. It is. Even if your school is lame and not completely awesome like mine, you can still find your group of friends or your thing that you like to do. Because, come on, guys. We're young, we're smart, we're hilarious. Stop complaining about school so much and frolic in your adolescence! Because really, geek moments are the spice of life.

Well, I'm done. I'm off to do something geeky. Life's good. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:05 am
Skye says...

I happen to agree. :D I mean, sure, my (private, Catholic) school is full of rich kids who use daddy's money to buy pot and drive Hummers to school every morning, but it has it's moments. And, sure, I complain about the World History homework, but sometimes I can't wait to go home after school so I can do it.

So, yeah. GEEKS UNITE!! :D
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:10 am
smaur says...

Areida wrote:Stop complaining about school so much and frolic in your adolescence!

Yay! Finally someone says it. I believe the words I am searching for are: holy monkey on a unicycle, thank you.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 am
Meshugenah says...

Ari? I love you.

I agree, too. Sure, right now I'm just miserable about it, but I figured out what part of the problem was, so now I'm not so miserable about school, and I can just look forward to my SciFi/Fantasy class! Talk about geek moments ;) 'Tis wonderful, it is.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather