z

Young Writers Society

Serpents On An Aircraft

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:43 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Every...what day is it today? Well, every saturday or so, I shall be posting a movie critique in Squills. Yes indeed.

Snakes On A Plane
**1/2 (out of four)

Hey, hey, stop squinting your eyes. You've read right. I've just given "Snakes On A Plane" 2 1/2 stars. Why?

Four words. This movie is entertaining. Besides the ridiculous plot and the idiocy of most characters, there are two things that keep this film from the bargain bin at Blockbuster. One of them is Sam Jackson. He's no Denzel, but this guy can act (sort of).

Forget Pulp Fiction, forget Star Wars (I can't think of any other good Jackson movies), this is the role Samuel was born to play. His confidence in the role triggers everything around him, as the hell-bent Agent Flynn shoots, bashes and steps on snakes on blighted Flight 121, while transporting crucial federal witness Sean Jones.

The other thing that keeps this film in the air (pun totally intended) are the snakes. Many, many snakes. There's little snakes, and big snakes, and green snakes, and yellow snakes. I do have to give kudos to the snake handlers onboard (another pun!) the set, for doing a great job. Snakes are perfect animals for the job. They're small, deadly, and can be mistaken for lawyers traveling in first class.

Wasting no time, and cutting the chit-chat, "Snakes On A Plane" quickly gets off the ground (damn, I'm chock full of puns today). The two writers, John Heffernan and Sebastian Gutierrez did a good job on the direct and to the point script, adding nonsensical, stereotypical characters which just make the whole flight a lot funner. Slight comic relief by Kenan Thompson (of SNL fame) is witty and welcoming, and the director seems knows his way around the lackluster horror world.

Internet buzz was probably the only reason "Snakes" got the top of the food chain at the movies. Due to its success, a sequel will probably be in order for next year. I myself would like to see Samuel L. Jackson's in a coffin (ABS), saltwater crocs on a water taxi, or Tom Cruise in a Honda Civic. Anyways, "Snakes On A Plane" is not a good movie, neither is it a bad movie. At least it had me forgetting about other horrible disaster flicks, and kept me entertained for a good two hours or so (actually, 1 hour and 45 minutes, but plus the previews and all). But then again, it also left many questions unanswered. Well, at least one...

Why?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:07 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

I saw this movie today and I'm still pretty undecided about it. I will agree that without Mr. Jackson this movie would not fly (I can do it too). I thought it'd be much worse than it actually was, but I guess it was worth ticket money, even if all it means is that I can tell tales of this spectacular (cough) movie at school tommorow.

Great review. :wink:
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:48 pm
David Guinness says...

Very professional review... I think I'll skip Snakes On A Plane, though... :)

Though I might see Serpents On An Aircraft. :D
David Guinness

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:16 pm
Sureal says...

I saw it. Thought it's worth a watch (if you like mindless, completely unrealistic movies with no plot at all - if you don't, then avoid it). It was a bit of mindless fun, but I'm not gonna bother watching it again.

Hey, the movie does everything it says on the tin (but that's about it).

They should've got Austin Stevens to make a cameo appearance. I'd be singing the movie's praise if they had...
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:50 am
Elizabeth says...

Me and my friend Dan were making fun of it and kept saying BEES ON A PLANE or PREGNANCY ON A CLIFF... I mean... he said this was basically pushing together 2 fears of Americans into a movie which title cracks me up.

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground.
— The Bee Movie