z

Young Writers Society

Fluent In Spanish? I Need Help To Produce YWS Spanish

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:17 pm
Nate says...

Not sure how well this will work out in the end, but I'd like to open up a YWS Spanish site. Mostly, I want to do it just for kicks, but I also want to expand YWS to other areas. At the moment, 99% of YWS users all come from countries that were at one point or another a part of the British Empire.

Unfortunately, I only took spanish for one year back in second grade. My knowledge of Spanish comes mostly from Cheech and Chong movies, and airport terminals.

So, here's the project:

YWS consists of roughly ten language files. Of these, one (admin lang file) does not need to be touched. Of the others, only one is of any issue. And for that one, most of it can probably be done very quickly if I can find a Spanish phpBB language file.

But, there still remains a lot of stuff to be translated. Now mind you, I'm only talking about stuff like the "Submit" button, or instructions on the site. I am not, repeat NOT, talking about translating posts! Instead, I'd just create a new section for posting stories & poems in Spanish.

So if you're fluent in Spanish and willing to help out, just say so here. Everything will be placed online for easy editing (I'll probably use Writely), and you just do what you can do at your own pace. This is a big project, so I don't even expect to finish it for a few months at the earliest. And indeed, it may even remain a project forever and never be finished. But it'd be something fun to work on.

By the way, even if you're not fluent in Spanish and know just some, you can still help out. Most of the phrases are stuff like "Notify me when a reply is posted," or "Community." Indeed, I could probably run half of it through babelfish and it'd be correct.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:25 pm
Sam says...

I'm fluent in Pig Latin!

...but certainly not Spanish. I'd ask Kay_Juran or Snoink- I'm pretty sure they've got some knowledge of the language.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm
Emma says...

Ooooh my god!
You've watched the Cheech and Chong movies?
Those movies are the most funniest random stoner films ever.
Anwayy... nice. ;]

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:06 pm
Poor Imp says...

My Spanish is rather ...colloquial, I think - too much slang and bad grammar for website help. But CL, I know speaks it - at least, write poetry en espanol. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Kay_Juran knows French, but she's only learning Spanish. Snoink does know Spanish, I think Firestarter does as well.

My own langauge skills are questionable. I did do well in Spanish, but I didn't get an A. That was Snoink.

Still, this might be a good way for me to get my practice. All the people at home speak English. Yet we still can't understand one another.

Go figure.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:40 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Well, my diploma from Mester (a spanish language school in Salamanca, Spain) says I am fluent. Sounds like a great plan, Nate. I'm in. :D

CL
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 pm
David Guinness says...

I'm in my third year of Spanish... I probably don't know enough to really help, but my father's a fluent bilingual teacher...So I'll offer both our services... ;)
David Guinness

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:48 pm
Meshugenah says...

I'll help if I can! I just started my first year of AP, which means I'm fluent in theory. And I need all the practice I can get; first day fo school class was entirely in spanish, and um.. let's just say I got the gist of it. So! Let's do it!
(CL, I'm jealous)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:45 pm
Skye says...

I'm not fluent in Spanish by any means, but I spent two weeks in language classes in Ecuador, so grammar and such still pretty fresh in my mind. I'll be glad to help in whatever way I possibly can. :D
Last edited by Skye on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:11 pm
Chandni says...

heey that sounds awesome ! No i'm not very fluent in spanish, I do take spanish lessons at school. What about a dutch section ?? :D lol that I could help you with loaaads ;)
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:57 pm
Snoink says...

Not YWS... SEJ. Sociedad para escritores jovenes.

I suppose I can help!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:32 am
Nate says...

Chandni wrote:heey that sounds awesome ! No i'm not very fluent in spanish, I do take spanish lessons at school. What about a dutch section ?? :D lol that I could help you with loaaads ;)

Eventually, I would like to have French, Dutch, and Cantonese (or Mandarin). I'll remember you offered your help when I get around to YWS Dutch ;)

To everyone who has offered to help thus far, thank you! Before anything gets started, I have to change just a few things in the code as I discovered. It's incredibly easy to do, but it'll take a long time. So sometime in the next month, I'll be sending you all an e-mail concerning the project. I'll probably put the files on Writely so that you can edit them anytime from anywhere, and also so that other people can view your changes.

Actually, to some degree, it's already started. I uploaded the default Spanish phBB language files, and you can now choose between English and Spanish as your default languages. However, there is a lot missing so it hardly even seems like the site is in Spanish.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:40 am
sabradan says...

I'm not fluent, but I know enough to get by, so I'll try to help when I can. I have had expericence with three different dialects of the language as well, if that helps. Spanish (from Spain), Mexican, and Puerto Rican.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:05 pm
David Guinness says...

That's a good point about dialects, Dan... Nate, would you prefer YWS Spanish to closer to Traditional (Spain) Spanish, or Latin American Spanish? With most of the translation, there wouldn't be much difference, but word choice would need some consideration.
David Guinness

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:44 pm
Poor Imp says...

David Guinness wrote:That's a good point about dialects, Dan... Nate, would you prefer YWS Spanish to closer to Traditional (Spain) Spanish, or Latin American Spanish? With most of the translation, there wouldn't be much difference, but word choice would need some consideration.

It will have to be, I assume, American spanish as Nate's American - and most of his assistants are...? Though Castilian sound so beautiful - not typed, of course. No sound.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham