z

Young Writers Society

Dictionary.com sold out! Now what?? I need new writing tool

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:00 am
Fishr says...

OK, I've always used dictionary.com and their thesaurus but the site is so utterly cluttered now, it's not worth my time. Frankly, I'm pretty angry because I used that site frequently when I write, but now it no longer suits my purposes.

So... does anyone know a good site that has a dictionary and a thesaurus on the same page? And what do you guys use these days for a spell checker or a thesaurus?

I really need some help because without this tool, I'm actually a lost cause. Online dictionaries are so much quicker, and they save time unlike manual searching.

Thank you all for your time because I really need the help. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:08 am
Poor Imp says...

So... does anyone know a good site that has a dictionary and a thesaurus on the same page? And what do you guys use these days for a spell checker or a thesaurus?

I can't help on spell-checker, or on sites, unfortunately. I use books still, and don't check spelling... ^_^''

But the best thesaurus you can find is The Synonym Finder Rodale. I think it may even be listed on the net?... Not entirely sure.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:15 am
smaur says...

I'm still going to use dictionary.com/thesaurus.com when I need it, mostly because I've been to worse sites, and their site(s) is/are still pretty accessible. Despite the clutter.

But m-w.com is probably your best bet outside of dictionary.com and all its affiliates. It's got a dictionary + thesaurus, too. If you want more, try googling "Dictionary" (or "Thesaurus", whichever you need) — that might help.

fishr wrote:And what do you guys use these days for a spell checker or a thesaurus?

Not much, actually. For the most part, I never use spell-check (I'm about 98% sure I can catch the majority of my spelling mistakes), and I only use the thesaurus if I absolutely have to.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 am
Snoink says...

Word has a thesaurus inside of it plus a dictionary. The dictionary is okay, but I definitely use their thesaurus a lot (although they didn't have a word for bearish... DAMMIT!)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:43 am
Nate says...

For a dictionary, just use google. All you do is write define then the word. Since I have firefox and a little search box is incorporated in the upper right hand corner, it's a lot easier than anything else.

For a thesaurus, I use Word most of the time, but I have a bound thesaurus on my desk that I use from time to time.

Haven't been to dictionary.com for a long time, but looking at it now, I actually like the new layout a lot more.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 am
Fishr says...

Wow! That was quick! Thank you so much for all the replies guys! And uh... I forgot Word had a thesaurus. *smacks head*

But really, you guys helped me out a lot. Mucho thanks. Is mucho a word? LOL!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 am
David Guinness says...

Hmm.. I agree with Nate on this; I really like the new layout: it's much more streamlined.

I use Answers.com for most definitions (through Google, then definition, on the top right side), and it also features several dictionary definitions (including American Heritage and MW) as well as a thesaurus, and Wikipedia content (and much more...).
David Guinness

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Wow, the layout is pretty cool.

Even if they did sell out, I'm still going to use it. Although the thesaurus is pretty bad.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 am
Wiggy says...

Great guys! This is really going to help me too! *hugs everyone*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:36 am
Firestarter says...

Dictionary.com looks better now and easier to use!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:13 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

In my little Firefox searchbox I have the Merriam-Webster search engine, so I mainly use that.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:02 pm
David Guinness says...

Oh- Poor Imp's right, J. I. Rodale's The Synonym Finder is an excellent thesaurus (over one million terms!).
David Guinness

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:11 pm
Elemental says...

I can't really give too much help there because I've gotten into writing in novels because I'm way to engrossed in my books to only spend a mere two hours, or less, a day. However, Microsoft Word does have one, but it's not extremely accurate. It gives you a great amount of words, and some are only minorly congruent.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:13 pm
Wiggy says...

A nice, hardbound dictionary and a nice, hardbound thesaurus are good enough for me. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:01 am
Writersdomain says...

Rhymezone is my best friend.

Rhymes, synonyms, definitions... miracles do happen. :D
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi