z

Young Writers Society

Why can't I start?

Random avatar

Reviews: 18
Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 am
shulchan says...

I decided to write a novel. I mapped out a whole elaborate plot, created detailed characters and places. Technically, I am all set to start the novel.
But somehow I can't. I just sit there staring at the computer screen blankly, and I don't know how to start writing or where to start writing. I know exactly what I want to say but no idea how to say it. This has been going on for weeks and I want to start so badly.

This ever happen to anyone before? I've had writer's block before, but usually it's caused by a lack of inspiration, but this time I have an idea fully mapped out and I still can't seem to write.

Anyone have any advice?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Don't worry about getting it right.

Seriously. Don't. You will change your beginning probably a dozen times. You will come up with new start points, better start points, whole new beginning situations, the works.

I have personally rewritten my novel 27 times. Each time the beginning changed drastically. And I could never move forward in the novel until I got over my hangup that the beginning had to be right.

Don't worry about your plan. Don't worry about getting it good. Don't even worry about logic. Simply don't worry.

Write the story. Pick a spot that interests you and keep going forward. It might change later. That's just fine. Make a note if you come up with a better beginning idea then keep pressing forward in the plot. Realize your plan doesn't work? Toss out the plan and see where the story takes you.

First drafts are bad. They're rough. That's why they exist. But you can't make them better unless you have something on the page. Get something on the page. Anything. And keep going till the whole draft is done, because you can't figure out the best beginning until you've gotten the whole story done.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Imagine you were going on an adventure trail with someone and you're the leader. The first thing you have to do is figure out all the places along the route that you want to go, and then plan the best way to get around them.

It's not about finding the shortest route, but about finding the nicest route. Like, when you'll need to slow down, where you'll stop for lunch. You've got to keep in mind what pace you'll go at and what you'll pass.

The best way to do it is just to grab a map and dive straight in. Where you begin walking might not necessarily be where you decide to start the adventure trail. Maybe you'll choose to backtrack a bit, or go over the same part twice, or start half a mile ahead of where you intended.

Whatever the case, the final decision will be different to what you decide now. Like Rosey said, pick a spot that interests you and keep going forward. It all starts by sticking one foot in front of the other. Forget the map for now and see where your feet take you.

Or, bringing us back down to the real world, put one word in front of the other. Ignore the plan.

Maybe you could think of a key theme in your novel and just scribble down your thoughts about it, and when you find you're moving then take a quick glimpse at your plan to see which vague direction you want to head in.

I hope that makes sense and I haven't lost you in some metaphorical marsh >.<
We were born to be amazing.

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 pm
View Likes
Inverse says...

When this happens to me, I just start writing random, useless words, and the things start coming to me. For example, I could be writing about a girl surviving by herself in the wild, but I'm having writer's block, so I type, "The cat runs across the grass and jumps over a log and sits down on top of it and licks its paw and..." etc. until something comes to me. The sentence is a run-on and pointless and has nothing to do with the story whatsoever, but I'll keep on going, writing about nothing, until what I need comes to me at last. That's what works for me.
ιт'ѕ мy lιғe, ιт'ѕ мy cнoιce
нeαr мy wordѕ, нeαr мy voιce
αɴd jυѕт
в e l ι e v e

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:44 pm
HopelessAbandon says...

I've probably restarted my novel around two hundred times, I kid you not, because I didn't know how to start it, or it just wasn't right, etc. What helped me this time to get something down was the fact that I wrote it down on paper first, then transferred it to the computer. This let me get it right, exactly how I wanted it to be because I got a lot more editing it. Essentially, I brought extra paper to my class I'm taking this summer, and since I knew I'd get bored, I would just sit there and write randomness, doodling when I couldn't think of anything else to say. If you can't think of something epic to start out with, start writing in the middle, maybe the beginning will come to you later. I do that often, because I get great ideas for little scenes I want to happen towards the end of the book for example, and then I just go with those until I can think of something to lead up to it, etc.
Haha hopefully this makes sense and helps a little. I understand your pain, I have this problem so often! :) When you get started, let me know, and I can review your work for you if you'd like!
If I scream, will you love me still?

Random avatar

Reviews: 18
Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 am
shulchan says...

Thanks everyone! I tried everyone's advice and finally got something started! That's the good part. The bad part is that it's pretty bad, even for a rough draft. I'll try and keep going anyway.

1272 Reviews

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:19 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

There is no such thing as "pretty bad for a first draft." You have a first draft. That's it. Don't compare it to other first drafts, because even a beautifully written draft can have horrible internal logic problems (I have read several such first drafts) and need just as much rewriting.

You only get better after you can look at something complete. I have tried to get better on incomplete stories. I have, but nowhere near as good as when I grit my teeth through the story and kept going.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 am
StoneHeart says...

Okay, in my view (To add to what Rosey's already said), there are tow main parts to writing something.

A: Planning.

B: Inspiration.

If you don't have BOTH of these things then you won't get anywhere with your writing. Some people would argue that you only need one or the other but I don't agree. From the looks of it you went along the death-lines of many beginner novelists.

You started out with an idea that you liked, then you went and started planning. However when you were ready and done with your planning you had lost that starting spurt of inspiration.

Well, my solution is pacing. Going out and just 'living' my story for a while till the inspiration returns. Another thing that works quite well is just sitting down and A: Getting whatever inspired you and going over it again, or B: Just writing. Granted: What you write at first won't be good, but after a while you'll get interested and your work will improve.

Anyway.

Hope this helped!

~Black~
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:32 am
StoneHeart says...

Don't worry about first drafts, just go with the flow. When you're done you can step back and re-work everything ;)

For now, enjoy yourself.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

1272 Reviews

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 am
Rosendorn says...

I'm going to disagree with you on the planning part.

For first drafts, you really don't need planning. You just need an idea. Write it. Let the logic be absolutely horrible. Don't worry what twists and turns happen next, just do what looks fun. Plans can get in the way of the actual story because you don't know the characters yet. I have tried to plan several novels, and the plan gets adjusted every ten thousand words.

If you are bored with your story and everything's going to plan, or nothing is working, then blow up plot. It's one of the best ways to clear writer's block. Get rid of what "should" happen and go with what you want to happen.

Plans are useful for later drafts, once the internal logic has been ironed out. When you start actively trying to make logical sense. Before then? Just write for the fun of it.

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack