z

Young Writers Society

BEARISH!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:07 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... I had to have it all caps, you see? I have a fetish with the capslock key!

So.. I was writing FREAK, and it's very um... sappy. What happens is Sadie's father hugs Daniel. I was thinking about using the word "bearish" but after asking around nobody really liked it.

*sobs*

So... yeah! Do you like bearish in the example or not? And, if you DON'T like it, then suggestions, please?

“I suppose this is my last goodbye to you then?”

“Yes.”

“Goodbye then.” He extended his arm for a handshake, but Sadie’s father gave him a big bearish hug instead.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:06 pm
smaur says...

*twitch*
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 pm
Dream Deep says...

*similarly... flinches*

Argh, I don't like 'bearish'.

Lol, you could always change 'gave him a big bearish hug instead' to something nice and simple and easy to follow like 'embraced him instead'...

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:14 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*twitches* Big bearish? I could settle for bearish without the "big" but unless you're looking for a laugh don't put those two words together, please.

And honestly... I'd take the "ish" off and just say that they had a bear hug.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:49 pm
Poor Imp says...

Perhaps if you made it...'crushed him like a bear in an embrace'?

But that sounds just as terribly awkward as well. 0.o

I think simple and less adjectival would work best - as DD points out. It may be less ostentatiously sappy if you leave it plain.

Is the bear-image something particularly pertinent?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 pm
Snoink says...

Hehehe... oh dear.

Maybe great instead of big? I don't know... I like assonance, but I have a weird sense of words and often prefer the silly over the sane. ><

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:13 pm
Wiggy says...

How bout just bear hug?
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:21 pm
smaur says...

Bear hug: 3, Bearish: 0.

Obviously, we're the winning team. :P
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:22 pm
Fishr says...

I'm such an opinionated person, but you probably figured that out already. :D I can't tell you enough how much I despise the word, 'hug.' I think the word itself is childish, and well, I don't always show it online but in my stories readers usually see my vocabulary. Of course, if a child is telling the story, I'm forced to dull it down, which irritates me!

If FREAK is a childrens (which I highly doubt) or geared to young readers, then possibly hug might suffice but other than that, I'd go for embrace. Although... heh, does the Freak actually have a vocab?

Anyway, I'm going off track. As for,
father gave him a big bearish hug instead.
It would depend on Sadie's father's character. Where the sentence stands, it's an almost awkward but goofy moment. Personally, if that's what you're trying to achieve, then you've succeeded, and I'm satisfied.

However though, if you're trying to achieve sentiment or make the reader go, "Ahhh... that's so cute!" Then you will have to change a few things in the sentence to finalize that goal. To accomplish the 'Cute or Sap' factor, nix 'big' and 'bearish.' Something along the lines of,
Sadie's father embraced him tenderaly instead.
Or
Sadie's father retaliated by embracing him tightly instead.
Or
Sadie's father retorted by pulling him into his arms, and embraced him.

Well, there's some really mediocre examples I thought of quickly but use what works for you, and if you are deadset on using 'hug,' 'big' and 'bearish' in the same sentence, it doesn't bother me personally. Like I mentioned, it gives the father this sort of awkward and goofy trait to him, which is cool. There's a different side.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 pm
Snoink says...

I don't know... I see hug as being appropriate because Sadie's father is, in a bizarre way, acting paternal with Daniel. Which is frankly disturbing, now that I think of it, but still. And embrace seems way too... well... adult for my taste. :P

Bear hug then? *sighs*

I'll see what I can do...

362 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:22 am
Fishr says...

Did I give you a headache? ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:20 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... no. My calculus quiz gave me the headache. You only added to it. ;)

362 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 am
Fishr says...

That's my job; to challenge the Pink One. ;)

You may poke me with a pole later. :D :lol:

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:19 am
Wiggy says...

smaur wrote:Bear hug: 3, Bearish: 0.

Obviously, we're the winning team. :P

Go us! *cheers*

I don't know... I see hug as being appropriate because Sadie's father is, in a bizarre way, acting paternal with Daniel. Which is frankly disturbing, now that I think of it, but still. And embrace seems way too... well... adult for my taste.

Bear hug then? *sighs*

I'll see what I can do...

It looks like we won! :P
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... you haven't win yet! I'm going to change it into a mud wrestling match! *cackles*

If you have to ask, "Is this cliche?", it probably is.
— - no name -