Young Writers Society

BEARISH!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:00 am
Snoink says...

Okay... better?

He turned to Sadie’s father and smiled. “I suppose this is my last goodbye to you then?”

“Yes.”

“Goodbye then.” He extended his arm for a handshake, but Sadie’s father gave him a great bear hug instead.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:55 pm
xanthan gum says...

*clears throat loudly* I'm a fan, Snoink, but this is awkward. You have to avoid such simple, almost childlike words when talking about such a rough and ...erm?...high-class character. Please, stop it with the "great" and "big"-ness.

I know I had something else to say, but I got really distracted by pondering if you resembled a pig in real life and completely lost what I was going to say.

Keep trying. Rewrite it until it's perfect. Only then would it be worthy of a SPEW mark of approval, let's say.
Carpe Diem.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 pm
Snoink says...

XD

When I post the chapter up, tell me what you think of the phrase in its full context. :)

Hahaha... this is the soppy chapters of FREAK. XD

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm
-KayJuran- says...

He turned to Sadie’s father and smiled. “I suppose this is my last goodbye to you then?”

“Yes.”

“Goodbye then.” He extended his arm for a handshake, but Sadie’s father gave him a great bear hug instead.

Um.. how about: 'but Sadie's father hugged him tightly instead.'

Work for you?
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:16 pm
Snoink says...

...maybe.

*pokes everyone*

Does that work better?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:59 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

'Bear-like' perhaps?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:16 am
Poor Imp says...

Snoink wrote:Okay... better?

“Yes.”

I think that -sans question of the 'bear' feasability- 'gave' gives the whole sentence a weaker impression than it needs. Could Sadie's father 'crush' instead to complete the image? Somehow the verb looks as weak as the bearish bit at first seemed awkward. If that's sensible.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson