z

Young Writers Society

D is for Diction

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:37 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

D is for Diction

Diction - Wording, phrasing, phraseology, verbiage, elocution, vocabulary, rhetoric; closely linked with a writer's ability to describe well.

1. Choice and use of words in speech or writing.
2. Degree of clarity and distinctness of pronunciation in speech or singing; enunciation.

Wait this isn't a vocabulary lesson, crudmuffin -oops!- so here's where I go about, expounded on, something... So arm yourself with a thesaurus, men, let us go into the breach!

LESS IS MORE: The Suspenseful Sister

So what is this less is more business? Well I find that most writers, myself included, try to say too much while writing and they get caught up in that; descriptions and actions drag on, dialogue is flimsy. Note this is why I feel exact word counts should be shot.

STICKY-NOTE: Don't try an overload the reader by putting to many adjectives in one sentence. i.e. The girl had long, brown hair and expressive, sparkling, green-blue eyes.

A wise person once said, less speaks volumes while more overloads the senses. Simple things work. Applied to dialogue: Sometimes what a character doesn’t say reveals more than if everything is let out in the open. This can be also used effectively with description and tone; i.e. in say a particularly bleak scene a mass dumping of detail can ruin it.

STICKY NOTE: S is for Suspense. By detail dumping, info dumping you take away the suspense in the story. Suspense as in a state or condition of mental uncertainty or excitement. By creating mystery it adds more to the depth of the piece. A murky depth. (Okay, okay... I'll stop with the horrible puns... I promise...)

BE PRECISE: Half-A-Siamese-Twin

This is the under appreciated siamese twin of LESS IS MORE. Action and description should be exact even if what you are describing is shady. Every word should have its place. You can always come back and change something. Be concrete, be positive and exact; be precise in your diction.

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU...

...or All I ever needed to know I learned from Star Wars. *wink*

Rule #1: Don't force your writing. Now, what do I mean by that? No, don't poke a hole in your parchment with a fountain-pen. Not that kind of forcing. Most of the time you want your writing to be fluid and protean, just like your moves in a light-saber duel. You don't want to open yourself up, leaving yourself vulnerable for your opponent to strike. The same goes for writing; keep the level of your diction consistent, even read out loud to make sure it flows. And let the force be with you...

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, MEAN WHAT YOU SAY

Ah, the part all about connotation. Connotation, it's kind of like Mufasa -MUFASA!- I love to hear it (and shiver), 'cause at first it scared the bejesus out of me. MUFASA! *shiver* Now, its just conditioned into me. Pay no attention to the shivering.

Connotation: *shiver* the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning, A possible connotation of “home” is “a place of warmth, comfort, and affection.”

Even though your public might end up picking over your diction with a pair of tweezers to determine meaning, you, as the writer should know what you want to say, and for godsakes say it.

i.e. you are describing a character's height, you could use-

tall = high of stature; it works but is over-used (aka weak-sauce)
alpine = tall; makes me think mountaintop
giant = large, colossal, huge; fantasy perhaps?
lofty = high, elevated; hmm, building...

-think about each of those adjectives and the mental picture/connotation you get from each of them, and from that choose the best one that fits. Ooo... fits like a glove. Yeah, I couldn't help but saying, er, typing that.

CL's Smackdown: ACTION VERBS vs. PASSIVE VERBS

Action Verb - Express something that a person, animal, force of nature, or thing can do. i.e. explode, meander, peer.

Passive Verb - the dull verbs, which have their place but are rather... dull. i.e. walk, see, do, be.

Try to use action verbs as much as possible to create a richer experience for the author. But also be reminded have your diction match the tone of your piece. So I wouldn't put, say, run, when I meant scamper; or glimpse when in fact it was really see. Or something, or other...

THIS IS SO SKETCH

Yes, sketch, like the creepy, in-slopping, hole-in-the-floor, people-can-fit-through-the-unlockable-window, french hotel room sketch. So sketch diction, what is it exactly? It is when the words have a head on collision with the tone and/or denotation, i.e. I will read something, and the words will be either too weak or too strong, and it destroys the flow of the piece.

Also, sketch diction also applies to when you describe something and it doesn't feel correct, it feels sketchy, as in persons, places, and things don't add up. It's when you leave the reader, thinking: what? that doesn't match. It's like plaids and stripes, they don't match, you need some solids in there.

COMMITTING THE OLDEST SINS IN THE NEWEST WAYS: CLICHES THAT KILL

Someone, somewhere once said that there are no new ideas, just old ideas in new packages. Another once said that no matter how you dress up a cow, it's still a cow. So what's the deal about cliches, and how does that effect my diction?

Here is a rather cliched intro: It was a dark and stormy night....

Now how many times have you heard, seen, read, even wrote that phrase there? No, don't count now.

Let's put that in the margarita shaker: It was a torrid, aphotic night...

Mmm... spice-ey! Mmm... salt.

RINSE, REPEAT

Repetition, e gads, sometimes it works, i.e. when you are pushing a point consecutively, most of the time it doesn't, i.e. when you use the same word excessively to describe the same thing. Ick... boring. After the third, fourth, fifth, even seventy-eight time, it's lame, in the worst way. Put the word into the margarita shaker, and shake it! Mix it up a bit. Flush out the over-used and your readers will thank you for it.

Last but not least, write, never stop writing, for each time you engage your mind, you grow. No matter how bad you think you are, there is always up, atrophy is not the answer.

More from me later.
CL.
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:44 am
Poor Imp says...

The world can only use more good diction - helps people think straight as well. ^_^

This obviously means what it says.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 am
smaur says...

1. This was awesome.

2. You were totally on the mark with this.

3. Oh god, now I have the exceedindly unpleasant visual of plaid + stripes matched together.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered