z

Young Writers Society

Cool Feature in Word

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:55 pm
Sam says...

I've just updated the software on my laptop, only to find a new, sparkly tool in Word- the Notebook View! It's way more helpful with my writing than I would have guess.

IF YOU'VE GOT IT:

(I use a Mac, so I might be a little behind on technological advances for Windows..:P)

Skip this part.

WHAT IT IS:

Er- a notebook! Just on your computer screen. It's got a really nifty pseudo-line-ruled background and everything (for those who are easily impressed).

You can make different sections, too, sort of like a multi-subject real notebook- and the handy thing is that you can access them from the same screen.

TWO HANDY WRITING USES:

I've been using it a lot for my new novel, Green, and found it's pretty cool..(/repetitiveness :P)

WRITING WITH MORE THAN ONE NARRATOR: Yes, I'm guilty of this. I read in an interview with Ann Brashares (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) that she wrote her different perspectives as four seperate stories. This seems like sort of a 'duh' thing to do, but when you're in a regular Word document- or writing on real notebook paper- it's hard to do that. For example, you've got to flip to a different page or open a different document (a big hassle on a slower computer) to merely check a place name or a line of dialogue. Annoying, yeah?

So! In the Notebook layout, you just click a button on the side of the screen to go to a different viewpoint, and write away...

PREWRITING: Basically the same as above, except you don't get little green lines for grammar by default, so you can take really sloppy incomplete notes and it won't care.

CRITIQUING: I use a different section for each novel I'm reviewing- FREAK, Bound For Glory, The Chair of Wind and Darkness, and Jack in the Box. Whew! ...but it's really sparkly and organized. I can easily take notes and do a rough draft of a critique right on screen, without having to sort through all of the other notes. (ESPECIALLY useful for multi-tasking. :wink:)

SO...

In conclusion? Much more easy- and fun- to use than a traditional Word document.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:39 pm
Snoink says...

What version of Word do you have?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:15 am
Areida says...

Oooooooh... how do you do it???

*runs off to play in Word*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:21 am
David Guinness says...

I've never seen this view... interesting.... ;)

Oh, I see... it's for Microsoft Word 2004. Darn it. I'm just a year behind.

Perhaps they'll release an update for those with 2003 and before... I hope...
David Guinness

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight