z

Young Writers Society

Tourist Exchange Center

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

As part of the YWS'tival, the Resources Crew brings you to the newest part of the Writing Tips section that is the Tourist Exchange Center!

Instead of giving tips on just about everything about writing, how about giving tips on what to write. How? By posting the next great setting of someone's novel! Yup, by posting here any place you've been to or you like--might be a tourist spot, or hidden village/city--on Earth and tell us how it can be used in a novel, poem or story!

My entry:
I recommend Intramuros, Philippines to be your next setting! Intramuros is rich in culture and history, most of which are proved by Spanish and Filipino traditions, architecture and facades. If you're looking for historical settings, or want to have a ruin for a spot in your novel, then choose Intramuros!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Ellenborough Falls, NSW It's a beautiful place. I'd love to have painted it when I was there, but I'm afraid I'm not the best at painting. Very suitable for the mysterious or romantic, or anything, really.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Travel-inspired blog

Well, for obvious reasons, the first place I'd recommend to visit in India would of course be dear ol' Chennai.
It's a mixture of the old and new, with lots of interesting quirkiness that can be summed up as being true to "namma ooru"
The beaches are my fave place to hang out (and by beaches, we have a *very* different beach culture. Just don't bother turning up in a bikini with a parasol or something.
Apart from that, it's a gastronomic delight, with a host of South Indian restaurants apart from other cuisines. We have filter kaapi.
We have a funky old museum with taxidermy stuff!
We have the best buses on earth. (@murtuza can confirm that. XD )
Music is a part of most people's lives.
There are temples and churches you can visit.
Our clothes are almost always colourful and pattern-y.

But, most of all, do let me know, if you do plan on visiting here. :D
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I'd highly suggest the mountains of West Virginia. If you're looking for a setting that is full of mountains, old prejudice and pride in the hillbilly name, that's where you need to look. West Virginia is full of old world influences that to this day still exist. It's a beautiful place to call my home, and a beautiful setting for a novel.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:22 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Well.. Being one of Croatia's National Parks, I guess it doesn't surprise that the Plitvice Lakes seem like a place the Elves could gather..
If not serving as an inspiration for a setting, be sure it would inspire you in a whole lot different ways. It's especially picturesque during the winter :3
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown