z

Young Writers Society

Procrastination

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Prosithion says...

I have a big problem with procrastination with my stories. I started writing my book two years ago, and I'm only on chapter 6. Is there any way I can not procrastinate? I'd really like to get this story finished.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm
Wiggy says...

I have the same prob, buddy. It's not too fun...:shock:
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:59 pm
Cassandra says...

Er, yeah. I'd be grateful for the answer to this too!! :?
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

214 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:15 pm
Prosithion says...

I seem to be asking questions everyone needs to know. hehe...

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:30 am
Elelel says...

I guess the answer is to just sit down and write.

I'm hopeless with procrastination. But while you've got a choice in whether you're going to write or not, you're probably going to procrastinate. So I guess you need to take away that choice. Say your going to write however many words per day or per week or whatever you like, and then threaten yourself with stuff if you don't do it.

Um ... I read somewhere about making scenes further in your story that you can't wait to write, and thus making you want to write through your story to get to them and write them.

Basically though, the only answer is to just grit your teeth, sit down, and write.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:32 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

An idea I've had for a while might work. I haven't tried it, but what you do is give all your money to someone you trust, and tell them to give an amount of it back each time you finish a chapter. It's sort of like getting paid for writing, in that it motivates you, but you don't have to convince someone to use their own money.

Just a suggestion.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

214 Reviews

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:31 pm
Prosithion says...

good suggestion, but i don't trust my money with anyone. hehe...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 pm
Snoink says...

Get a writing buddy! Or at least a reading buddy. For instance, without the lovely smaur beating me on the head, I would have NEVER written more than 15 thousand words for FREAK. I need somebody to look over my shoulder and say, "This is good!" And, if I start playing Neopets, I need somebody who'll say, "CONTINUE WRITING OR ELSE I'LL STAB YOU WITH A FORK!" And that works for me.

But really. Get someone to push you. Or, if not someone, bribe yourself. It works.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:20 pm
Cassandra says...

^ Good point. But who can I find who'll push me? Unfortunately none of my friends are very into my writting...*grumble grumble* Ah well. Might have to settle for bribing myself.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 pm
Snoink says...

I met smaur on the internet. ;)

There are plenty of writing buddies you can team up with who will love to critique your work. All you have to do is ask. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:02 pm
Dream Deep says...

Lol, maybe I'll go after Wiggy... This haiku torture has to count for something. ^_~

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 pm
Crysi says...

I would ask for a writing buddy, but I know I won't want to write, even for someone else, lol.

Hey, I've been working on my story for two years, and I'm only on chapter 2. But that's due to several rewrites. I think outlining might help - I plan on trying to outline a bit today. That way it breaks it up into smaller chunks and doesn't seem so intimidating. Then you just slowly make your way through the smaller chunks and piece things together.

As for the writing ahead thing... What you do is you write one line from the scene you can't wait to write. Only one line, because otherwise it won't motivate you. Then you try to write up to that line. Obviously it won't work if you're at the beginning of the story and your line is at the end, but picking something a few scenes ahead usually works for me. That's where outlining comes in handy again - if you know what you want to happen, you can usually think of a brilliant scene to occur there, and that can be your motivation.
Love and Light

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:49 am
Wiggy says...

Will ye be my writing buddy DD? Pwetty please??? ;)

Yea! Procrastinating peeps rock! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:52 am
Dream Deep says...

Lol, I was just going to ask you the same thing.... ^_~

*bows with a flourish* The honor would be mine, Wiggy. :wink:

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 am
David Guinness says...

I'd like a reading buddy... :(

Though I have nothing for you to read at the moment... :D
David Guinness

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe