z

Young Writers Society

Essay Elaboration

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:34 am
David Guinness says...

I have a question that's troubled me for quite some time now. How do you elaborate and lengthen essays? The longest essays I have written have been about five hundred words. My instructors have never asked for anything more, have never expected anything more.

Suddenly, this year, I am expected to write a 750-word essay, due Monday. This is not a serious issue- it's not much longer than others I have written, and I've got plenty to discuss. What troubles me is that as each year passes, I will have to elaborate more and more to meet the instructor's demands, as well as to just get my point across. In the past, I have resorted to "cheap tricks"; I have manipulated diction and syntax, just to gain a couple of words. I wish to do this no more.

So, how do you elaborate in writing essays, while keeping your main focus, and improving the quality of writing? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

David
David Guinness

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:19 am
Snoink says...

The more research you can do, the better. You'll find that, as you get deeper into a subject, that it begins to connect with the world and that it's not just one subject but linked to everything in the universe.

And that's the beauty of writing essays.

Don't focus on word count. Instead, focus on your topic. Give it some research and though. Know your subject thoroughly and be able to be an expert on it. This is what a good writer does, and this is what good essayists do.

But more than that... have fun! You're learning, no? :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm
David Guinness says...

Very, very true. Thank you, Snoink.
David Guinness

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:10 pm
The Jesseble says...

I hate writing essays so i find it quite hard to enjoy writing them. when i find myself unable to finish a certain essay, i ask my teacher for help.

There are lots of ways to lengthen them, but it sometimes depends on what information you have already put in. My advice is to ask your teacher or even read through a classmate's work so you can get an idea on what you're missing.
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:41 pm
Prosithion says...

Well, I'd research a lot more, and take your essay into the mat of the topic. I'd write about things that are connected, however tenuously. The problem is, you just have to evolve longer exxays. I had the same problem a few years ago, and I eventually evolved out of the rut of short essays.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown