z

Young Writers Society

Objects to Prompt You...

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:44 pm
Dream Deep says...

I find that on a lot of my stories, it helps to have an object I associate with the main character, situation, plot, etc. or whatever with me while I'm writing. For The Tower of Souls, for instance, I had this long, thin pearl and gold necklace that was nearly the same as the one I had my main character wearing. And it acted as a sort of connection - I saw this necklace and it immediately brought me to my character, let me know how she would react and how she would feel and how she would look and so on...

Similarly, for The Chair of Wind and Darkness, I have this little empty journal booklet that is so nearly identical to the one in the story that I can't help but have it right there on my desk. It helps me connect with my story and what's happening, helps me to focus.

Any little trinket that in some way reminds you of an important element of your story is good to haev around.

It might be something you'd like to try... ^_~

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:05 pm
Cassandra says...

Huh, good idea. I never thought of that (as per usual ;) ).

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:24 pm
Rei says...

This is a concept actors often use as well. Someone in my acting class had some difficulty grasping the emotional content of his monologue in his first performance, but in the second one, when he had a significant object to hold on to, it caused not only him, but some others in the class to be brought to tears.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:18 am
Snoink says...

Ray Bradbury also used this technique. As he wrote more and more, he would focus on a specific object and then write about it. One of his works, using this method was Dandelion Wine.

And it's nice to hold something, especially when your character holds it too. It gives it more realism.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 am
Wiggy says...

I've heard of this before. It's quite useful (although I have yet to try it! lol).
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:42 pm
Prosithion says...

never thought of that. It sounds very prompting though. But there's no real way to pick something to connect with your character.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:05 pm
mystical*dragons says...

I actually do that too. In fact...most of my pieces are inspired from objects.
My characters are born from the objects themselves. Like I look at the bamboo plant in my room, and suddenly I'm flooded with what my character is like for a story I'm working on.

I've noticed, that colors are my main inspiration. Anything colorful object that catches my eyes, prompts me to write.
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:23 pm
Prosithion says...

I've noticed that music reminds me of either my character or of a book I read.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:04 pm
David Guinness says...

I listen to a piece of music I'm working on to give me inspiration for my characters. I try to use objects when I can, but I usually don't have that many of interest around me. :)
David Guinness

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:31 pm
deloclya says...

I do the same sort of thing, only with music... And certain songs go with certain scenes or emotions. I have these massive playlists and I'm constantly changing out songs to match the story better. But I like this object thing, I think I'll try it! =]

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:36 am
Wiggy says...

I think this is seriously going to help for my novel. I'll have to have like a potato or something! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:23 pm
aeroman says...

Actually one of my characters, because he grew up in a fishing village, his father gave him a necklace with black pearls and shark teeth on it that he always wears. And I have one! Its actually where I got the idea. :)
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:51 am
Myth says...

Is it weird that old people inspire me? And bridges?

I love walking along bridges (Blackfriars, Southwark, Tower, London) and I really love watching the waves chop with hypnotic motions and that gives me great ideas.

I watch old people when writing HF and recently started a short fiction about an old woman who is well.. kind of creepy and also Aunt Matilda (Behind The Veil) is ancient and that's the most scary thing about her.

I have a necklace and ring that I've used for Oracle's Possession, it's almost like writing my own life with a fantasy twist.
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:52 pm
Lenthe says...

I can say that I try to imagine having a certain item that is in my stories. Sometimes imagining holding the item or being in the place. Certainly I have wanted a few of the objects from my stories, but it is rare for me to actually hold a like object. Yes, sometimes I will occasion on something that helps me to write better or at least think better, but for me (at least the majority of the time) I don't hold something or go somewhere or see something physically. Maybe I should try it again...
In the shadows, of the night. Blade is ready, sharp as light. -- E. Arcenstien (The One of Dark Blood)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:20 pm
Emerson says...

That's a nice idea, but I'm not sure I could find anything to spark me... I'll have to hunt, because I think having a physical piece of your fictional story could really do something for your muse :-D
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller