z

Young Writers Society

How much of writing is writing?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I'm writing this because I have advice for another writer and I don't want to clog up the wrong thread, so I'm making a new one.

My question is, if you are dedicated to becoming a better writer, how much of your writing time should you spend writing?

Well, what else is important?

Free writing: Spend at least ten minutes before you start writing just to free write as much as you can. No pausing, no editing. Write about anything and everything, it could be the events of that day or your deepest fears. Free Writing is how you learn to take the thoughts in your head and express them through words, and it's also essential in finding your own natural style.

Playing games: You should dedicate some of your writing time to playing creativity games, like a word association web until you fill a whle page, or making up a story hased on a set of random words. The Writing Activities forum is a good place to play - but remember! - it's about exploring things you wouldn't normally think of, not adding to the things you already know.

Hone your craft: This is all about practice, not writing. It could be taking some critisism and learning to fix it. For example if someone says 'you use too much dialogue in your work' then you would try writing a 500 word scene in which two characters communicate something without using any dialogue at all.
Or, it could be taking one of your favourite novels, picking it apart to figure out why it's so amazing, and deciding which parts of it you want to adopt as your own. (Note: You're always going to be influenced by everything around you, don't be scare to adopt other people's techniques, at least that way you're aware of what your influences are and you're controlling them.)

Thinking time: this is the thing that a lot of writers don't do even though it makes an enormous improvement to their work. I usually say that for every fifteen minutes you spend writing, you should spend five minutes thinking. Don't think in words. Take whatever scene you are about to write and put yourself in it. See the light and shading, smell the air, feel the atmosphere and emotion of your characters. In those five minutes you can completely lose yourself in your work and the product will be much better and much more fluent than if you were to just sit down writing.

Observe the world: Be aware of it. How people walk, what they dress like. How shops are laid out. What different parts of your local area smell like. Where different people hang out. What happens to someones voice when they get angry? How does this differ to someone else's. Learning to observe the world will teach you how to make your own imaginary world develop and grow.

And other stuff: You know, the planning, world building, character designing, e.c.t, whatever works for you to get your story rolling.

Getting better isn't just about being better at putting fingers to keyboard and stringing sentences together. It all happens in your mind. The actual writing is only the tip of the iceberg.

I say this mainly because if you sit yourself down to write for an hour and just hammer out words you're only going to stress yourself out and never really reach your maximum potential.

If you sit down to write for an hour a day and spend ten minutes free writing, five minutes practicing, and another two blocks of five minutes thinking. You'll get more and better quality writing done in the remaining thirty five minutes than you would get done trying to churn out words for an hour.

Feel free to add comments based on your own experience (but please don't disagree until you actually try it.)
We were born to be amazing.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 am
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

True that. Stress stifles creativity. Keep in mind however, that when your writing towards a goal, you may get more stressed about writing random exercises and words than working on your novel.
So here's my advice: You can use the same excersises Tenyo suggested while applying them to your current project. Do a ten minute "warm-up," write fast, write from any random scene. Just throw some junk out there, get those juices flowin.' Afterwards you can start in on debugging the chapter your in the middle in or whatever, but don't give your mind a brain cramp. Listen to music, relax, take a walk. Most importantly. READ. Read while your writing your book---I like to read and draw before bed to get my mind unclogged and ready to write the next day. Music, whatever works for you, but just read. Read widely in the genre your writing, but I warn you to read well---don't waste your time.
And when writing, there are different opinions on the "set-time" thing. I think sitting down at a set time and writing for an hour a day is great for those who can do it, but I also think the best splurges of writing we get is when we aren't expecting anything.
So keep an open mind, don't hamper your writing. Creativity is the only craft where imperfection is a desired trait. Write naturally, write fast, let the first draft take you where it wants. Remember, writing is an adventure, it should be at least a litte fun. ;p
(P.S. Thanks Tenyo and sorry for gumming up your post. ;) )
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm
Tenyo says...

That's alright, I think 'adding to' would be better than 'gumming up.' I don't pretend to know everything. Well, I do pretend XD but I don't *actually* know everything.

"Creativity is the only craft where imperfection is a desired trait." < I love this! So much. These are some wise words that I'll have to remember to give you credit for when I end up quoting them.
We were born to be amazing.

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear