z

Young Writers Society

Inebriation

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 pm
Dream Deep says...

So. I need help. I don't know how to write my guy terribly and utterly drunk. No. More than drunk. Unholy hammered. Any ideas?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:27 pm
Poor Imp says...

Haven't ever been 'unholy hammered' yourself then, DD? ^_~

Only kidding. Depending on how well he holds his liquour, being completely plastered might just knock him out. But I assume, being a Kasimov and all, he can last quite a while?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:35 pm
Dream Deep says...

Uh, no Imp, I've never had anything worse than soda to drink, so I'm not qualified to judge. ^_~

I was sort of thinking that he could be plastered just enough so that he didn't knock himself out... almost there, but not quite. Rather border-line.

And as far as the Chair goes, you may have a valid point with the Kasimovs and all, but lol, for once I can dupe the Imp. It's not for the Chair, it's for a different story I'm working on.

(Yes, and I know, about the phrasing - the 'unholy hammered' - but it's such a perfectly equipped phrase to describe the situation.) ^_~

459 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:39 pm
Poor Imp says...

Not the pianist, is it?

What kind of drunk is he? Always depends on the person. Some are madly boisterous right up to the point that they stagger off to...the nearest lavatory, we'll say. Some are melancholy and collapse in their chair/over the bar - never do much terribly bizarre or 'drunken'.

(Oy -- unholy hammered a perfect phrase? o.o'' ^_^)

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:07 pm
Misty says...

*laughs* I wish I could help you, lol. I have never had more than a soda myself. But I've seen my friends insanity, and I think it's fair to assume that everyone is different, and some people just start bawling at random and the others slur their speech and make no sense, and everyone tends to be rather loud and obnoxious. :P

504 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:21 pm
Dream Deep says...

Poor_Imp wrote:Not the pianist, is it?

How do you always know?! *begins to suspect Imp of ESP...* So much for duping Imp, lol...

What kind of drunk is he? Always depends on the person. Some are madly boisterous right up to the point that they stagger off to...the nearest lavatory, we'll say. Some are melancholy and collapse in their chair/over the bar - never do much terribly bizarre or 'drunken'.

Ah, more likely the latter... terribly melancholy and depressed, collapsing in his chair/over the bar as you say. ^_~

(Oy -- unholy hammered a perfect phrase? o.o'' ^_^)

Okay, lol, couldn't think of anything else. Plastered is too common-place and drunk isn't imaginatvie enough. ^_~

GreenEyes --> Thanks for the tip. :wink:

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 am
Snoink says...

I wrote this... um... yeah. I might help you, in some really geeky way!

http://snoink.com/kn/science/2.php
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:20 am
sabradan says...

PM me, Dusky.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:01 am
Swires says...

Well maybe he coupld simply have the stereotypes:

Blurred vision, stumpling over everywhere, bad reactions.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

504 Reviews

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 pm
Dream Deep says...

Thanks Snoink....Phorcys!

You guys help a great deal.

Oh and... Dan?

PM me, Dusky.

*looks over shoulder, half expecting Duskglimmer to be there*

Lol, I take it that was to me, though... ^_~

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:58 pm
stilltyping says...

Evaluate your goals in this scene. Do you want your readers to be amused, shocked, or overwhelmed by pity when they observe this drunken character? When you know what you want, its easier to pick out the details that fit best.

For instance, my father was drunk once. He had a cigar in one hand, and a licorice in the other. His swaggering in the afternoon sun while he attempted to smoke the licorice is an example of the comic drunk.
///thanks.

504 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:32 pm
Dream Deep says...

Uhhh... mainly overwhelmed with pity.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:40 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Dream Deep wrote:*looks over shoulder, half expecting Duskglimmer to be there*

Hey. *grins*

I don't know that I'm much help either. I haven't really been around drunk people (*thanks goodness*), and the stories that I've heard are all about funny drunks, not depressed drunks. So... yeah, sorry this post isn't of any help. (they do tend to slur words though, and NOBODY can follow thier thought patterns and... they don't type very well :P ).

459 Reviews

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 am
Poor Imp says...

Duskglimmer wrote:
Dream Deep wrote:*looks over shoulder, half expecting Duskglimmer to be there*

Hey. *grins*

I don't know that I'm much help either. I haven't really been around drunk people (*thanks goodness*), and the stories that I've heard are all about funny drunks, not depressed drunks. So... yeah, sorry this post isn't of any help. (they do tend to slur words though, and NOBODY can follow thier thought patterns and... they don't type very well :P ).

Some drunks are unreasonably lucid - at least until the collapsed over the bar point...then it's rather unconscious not irrational. It can be an odd contrast of speaking clearly enough, arguing or remarking on whatever's come up. Then they try to get up and stumble into the wall...

But I don't think that's DD's drunk -- he's more likely to play the piano erratic, or melancholic...and collapse on the keys. ^_~

-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:22 pm
Dream Deep says...

Lol, Imp...

So true. So uncannily true. I swear you... I don't know, can see my notebook from where you're sitting. o.O

Thanks everyone for the advice and help - I get the feeling I would have been lost without in. Never did write an inebriated guy before. ^_^

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality