z

Young Writers Society

Discipline, oh my!

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm
stilltyping says...

Thanks everyone for their input! I like hearing how you guys get writing- and I feel a little more inspired now.

I think I'm going to start small, with a short short story. Perhaps I'll experiment with different surroundings until I find one that works. For example, I plan on going to the coffee shop this evening to write. Hopefully I can spit out a story! OKay, to "spit out" a story sounds bad. Maybe I'll delicately dribble one onto the paper.
///thanks.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:04 am
Joeducktape says...

I usually use music to motivate me, or I make sure that when I'm writing, I don't have anything I need to do anytime soon. That way I can spend time just writing, and forget about everything else I need to do. This is one reason I write at night so much. It also makes it more peaceful.

I should try doing a goal. Something small to start out. Maybe 1K a week. I could do that. And as a reward?

COOKIES!

Or maybe promise yourself that if you want to write, you'll sit down and write to a certain point, like till you've gotten to a point where you can end your chapter, or the end of a day, or the end of a great conflict, that way you can make it suspenseful for yourself. More fun!

It worked for me! I sat down today and wanted to write, so I wrote until I reached a chapter end.

Also, could I maybe find someone who could pm me and keep me on track? A special friend?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:45 am
Fishr says...

Rewards are nice, and they actually do take the pressure off. I rewarded myself with soda and chocolate milk today. Go me!

I usually write with music. There are the few days where I'll do without it, which ischallenging, but without music sometimes what pours from your fingertips is amazing. Why? Because something is genuinely coming from within yourself and it's not being triggered by influence. I can tell you, don't let music be a crutch. I've definitely written crapola under the influences of music but have written amazing stuff by my standards without it.

Also, if I feel myself growing tired or frustrated, I find reading to be a great relief. You can leave life behind, and observe how this writer created another world and their characters, and you can have fun doing it too.

My usual goal is writing two thousand words every time I sit down. :P
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:53 pm
stilltyping says...

Wow Fishr, two thousand words- I'm definately not there yet, but last night I managed to pen around 500 words of mediocre stuff I probably wont use. But I at least have an idea of where I don't want to go with my story.

As a reward, I bought a new book. I don't think I can afford to do this everytime a write, however. Maybe cookies are the best answer!

A lot of you seem to use music. I'm pretty sure that wont work for me- I can't even post on YWS without having to take off my headphones to concentrate! The best work I've done has been produced in a noisy classroom. I guess it's the stimulating atmosphere.
///thanks.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm
David Guinness says...

The best work I've done has been produced in a noisy classroom. I guess it's the stimulating atmosphere.

Perhaps it's that the noise is so completely monotonous (albeit loud) that it actually helps you tune extra noises out and concentrate. I've also found a crowded place is great for writing.

I generally listen to music when I write, but only something like Mozart or Bach- it follows the same pattern over and over (usually), and so is less distracting, but can help to inspire.
David Guinness

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:24 pm
Wiggy says...

Sometimes I listen to music-there's this certain radio station (106.5 the Arch) that I listen to that has all these great 80s and stuff songs on it and I just love listening to it. Sometimes it can be distracting, but most of the time it's great. I like listening to music more than I did when I first started writing. I also like to write when it's completely silent. And I mean completely. When I write, I sort of get into this subconscious mode. Like it's when you're staring at something but you're not really seeing it, you know? (Weird, but that's what it's kind of like.) I get so involved in the story that it's like a sharp jerk when I come back to reality. Lately, I haven't had problems writing, but that's because I think about what I want to write sometimes days at a time before I actually write it. I usually focus on one project at a time. Right now it's my short story Inscription of Love which is going pretty well right now. It's about half way done. I finally picked it up again after like a two week absence. All I can say is, just write. Sometimes a good exercise is just to try and write about the first random object that pops into your head. Pick three random objects and make yourself write a story that has those in it. Here's one:
computer, spaghetti, candle

Those are the first three things that popped into my head. Try it! There's also a lot of great writing prompts on YWS.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:58 am
Fishr says...

Wow Fishr, two thousand words- I'm definately not there yet, but last night I managed to pen around 500 words of mediocre stuff I probably wont use. But I at least have an idea of where I don't want to go with my story.
If it helps, my goal was to write a hundred words when I was twelvish, and as I got better (or obsessed!), I gradually raised my expectations, and set higher goals for myself. Two thousand words is my limit. I'm not going any higher or challenging myself further, lol.

But, congrats! At least you wrote, and who's to say that 'mediocre' stuff won't be put to use? :P You'd be amazed where in the least unlikely places, inspiration lurks.

I reward myself with books, soda (because I rarely drink it anymore), cookies, and lots of praises to myself! :D

Keep plugging away, and I'm sure you'll stumble upon something that interests you. In fact, when in doubt, non-fiction can be a good release. Write about a memory or something that especially pleased you. At least with non-fiction, the world already exists, and if you're writing about an event that happened to you, it could be a little easier than fiction where you need to plan more.

Good luck.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy