z

Young Writers Society

Quotes On Writing

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Here is a thread to post quotes from famous writers about writing. You may leave the quote simple or add commentary. I'll start. If it's from a book, please allow us to know the author so we can enjoy the book as well.

"Writing is like driving a car at night, you can only see as far as your headlights allow, but that's all you really need to see at the time."

- E.L. Doctrow

Just shows that improvisation is more important than you think. Relax before you start planning, I guess... you only need to see the road ahead bits at a time to have a general sense of where you are. You're in control, exploring your world, so let it be revealed to you as you go along, spur of the moment.

Good metaphor.

And Anne Lamott, in the book Bird by Bird, said something like this...

"We all have inner monsters. Some of them are ugly, scary, or have sinned. And we cast them away to live in caves where we are afraid to let them out. But when we shine a light on our inner monsters, and interview them a bit to let them speak, we notice that they aren't really that different from everybody else's after all. They actually have a lot in common."

I think this is brilliant because it shows that all people let their voice out through their characters or their writing style. I guess this just lets people know that there is no wrong way to write from the heart if you're telling the truth. You really have to let your objective, bluntly accepting mind take over when you write, and not care about other people's opinions, but focus on only what YOU see- your own, personal world of expression.

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

-Ernest Hemingway

It's kind of ironic, but it's so true. The words flow out, sometimes with pain, and sometimes with pleasure. But it's rejuvinating.

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”

-Maya Angelou

In writing, a lot of the time, we focus on what message we have to send, but we don't focus on what we want to say. Writing is all about you, it's all about the confidence to express your voice and let yourself be heard. Without that, you can't reach your writing potential.

“Dance above the surface of the world. Let your thoughts lift you into creativity that is not hampered by opinion.”

Love it. It expresses that you have so much individuality from your life... and to use it. It's really good.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:26 am
AlfredSymon says...

Quoth I, of quotes and writing. Al here for a reply.

For me, writing is exploration; and most of the time, I'm surprised where the journey takes me.
Jack Dann

I like this quote because it's true! Writing can take both its writer and reader to worlds and situations unknown!

For your born writer, nothing is so healing as the realization that he has come upon the right word.
Catherine Drinker Bowen

I know a lot of people feel this to. I do. When I find the right word o put in, I feel so content and relaxed!

No one is able to enjoy such feast than the one who throws a party in his own mind.
Selma Lagerlöf

All good writers have!

These are my favorite quotes, how 'out you?
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

This is the only real writing philosophy I subscribe to:

“I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter.”
― James A. Michener
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate