z

Young Writers Society

Planning a Book Series?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:21 am
View Likes
katiehorsie says...

So I am working on a trilogy right now, which will most likely be followed by another trilogy. I am on the planning part right now however, and I am having a few issues figuring out what I am going to have happen. Normally when I write, I go in without a plan and let it just happen, but that is not working with something this big. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me about planning. If you could maybe through out a few ideas or ways to organize my planning, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you. :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Don't try to control the plot.

Even if you're working with something big, just let it happen the way it wants to happen. Maybe have a rough outline of stuff you think might happen, but prepare to throw this outline out at the first unpredictable thing your characters do.

I'm working on a trilogy myself, and I have a rough beginning and ending point for each book. These points are near-constantly changing (although some events don't change) and I let them as the plot keeps going.

My best advice is to have an idea where you're going, but be ready to adjust everything on short notice.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical