z

Young Writers Society

A Tip for Soppy Scenes

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:52 pm
Snoink says...

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, you can write these horribly awful soppy scenes. Now, if you're lucky, then it's just narrative and you can cut it out and throw it in the trash can. Narrative, though important, isn't that important.

But sometimes that's impossible. Why? Because you might write it as dialogue. And dialogue, especially if written at the heat of the moment, should not be thrown away lightly.

So, if it's soppy yet has some potential, then try injecting some sarcasm in it. Not brutal sarcasm, but light sarcasm. This can be very helpful for making the scene less corny, yet still endearing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:31 pm
xanthan gum says...

Sarcasm, as in cynicism, Snoink?
Carpe Diem.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:16 pm
Snoink says...

Not necessarily. Just like a gentle nudge that, hey, this isn't the soppiest story alive. And a touch of really light sarcasm seems to do the trick.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:55 am
Sam says...

And almost every story has a sarcastic/comedic relief character...so...you've always got someone handy.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:19 am
Joeducktape says...

How about keeping dialogue in character during soppy scenes? Any tips?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:36 pm
Misty says...

ERgh I know how that is...you're in some strange spur-of-the-moment and that's all it takes to come up with this awful corny scene. With any luck though, you haven't shown or posted it yet, so yes, click, DELETE. but dialogue scenes...you're right. Good tip. Thanks, Snoink

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:43 pm
Snoink says...

Joeducktape wrote:How about keeping dialogue in character during soppy scenes? Any tips?

My dear, that is a completely different rant and varies from character to character. Some can have soppy scenes, no problem. So when Sadie does this long soppy scene about friendship, it's okay and even Good. But when Sadie's father did a soppy scene, it just wasn't working right. Thus, the sarcasm thingy had to be done. Some characters can never do soppy scenes. So yeah. Claude, doing a soppy scene? Never going to happen.

It depends on who the character is, just like it depends on who the person is. We'll all react emotionally in some ways. The only question is how.

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon