z

Young Writers Society

Getting the Most Out of a Critique

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:14 am
Sam says...

It's great when you post a story you're excited about and then notice that five minutes later someone's posted a comment, isn't it?

[I'm adding a dramatic pause in so that all the people who know everything there is to know about writing and/or have work that is positively flawless can leave. :wink:]

Actually, it's pretty cool just to know that someone read your story and cared enough to write something down about it. But they can't help you improve at all if you don't take what they say to the full extent of the law...or something like that.

If you really want to utilize a critique, you've first got to categorize it. Basic categories are thus (and you could have a bit of a combination of several):

1. THE HELPFUL CRITIQUE: This person had just the right balance of things they liked- and things they didn't, plus they had explanations for each. You're feeling pretty good about your writing after reading these, and you also are inspired enough to get up and start working to make your story better.

2. THE VAGUE CRITIQUE: This person wrote a critique, but made grand, sweeping statements such as, "You need to fix your dialogue" that leave you wondering, "But why?" and possibly more imperatively, "But where?" They may also have said that they like it a great deal, but you're not quite sure what they liked.

3. THE FLAMES-AND-PITCHFORK WITH OPTIONAL DEVIL HORNS ATTACHMENT CRITIQUE: This person has made you feel absolutely awful. In short, they've pointed out every imperfection and made them seem so much bigger. You're about ready to kill them- and possibly yourself, while you're at it.

4. THE DITZY CRITIQUE: This person appears to really, really love it- as they absolutely 'luuuuuurve' every other story they read. They've got you wondering "Why?" as well.

So, now that you know what kind of critique you've gotten, here's:

HOW TO DEAL:

1. THE HELPFUL CRITIQUE

First of all, thank this person. They've done a good job, too. Then it's the time to get to work. Take every suggestion they offer and apply to your writing. You don't necessarily have to keep every suggestion- let's face it, some of them are kind of crappy- but it's good just to see what they've suggested in action. And who knows, you could really improve your story/poem/script/whatever!

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. Chances are these people are pretty amiable and helpful all the time, so you can also ask for favors such as reading a second draft to see how you've taken their suggestions.

2. THE VAGUE CRITIQUE:

Ask this person what they mean, just to start off. They might just have had a blank moment and will be perfectly happy to offer you further suggestions, or they might not answer at all.

If they don't answer, ask for a Second Opinion. (With Second Opinions, make sure it's someone who has no prior knowledge that you're confused about said critique. That way they're unbiased and you'll get the real scoop.) If you can't find a Second Opinion, or they're vague themselves, you might just have to dive in yourself. Look through your writing to see if you can find spots that fit what you think they mean- your dialogue is choppy, etc.

But if it's really superbly vague, just ignore it. More thorough critiques will come along eventually.

3. THE FLAMES-AND-PITCHFORK WITH OPTIONAL DEVIL HORNS ATTACHMENT CRITIQUE:

To start off, take a deep breath. It's no use getting flustered over something that's supposed to be fun for you.

THE OPTIMISTS' PERSPECTIVE: They may have had a bad day or were feeling extremely critical. If you're feeling comfortable enough with said person, ask! They might need to be cheered up themselves.

THE PESSIMISTS' PERSPECTIVE: Well, you might suck, but guess what? You've got room for improvement- indeed, you'll now have the drive to prove them wrong. Your writing might just get better for reasons you wouldn't normally expect.

This is another critique where it's best to get a Second Opinion (unbiased, like always). It might also prove/disprove the Optimists' Perspective- if the two critiques are glaringly different, you can probably blame someone other than the critiquer.

If it's really abusive, locate your Friendly Neighborhood Mod and ask them to take a look. After, isn't the golden rule to put in at least one thing that you liked? :wink:

4. THE DITZY CRITIQUE:

These are the worst to deal with merely because these people are probably ditzy in real life, too (and if it's really vague, you can bet that they haven't read the writing either). You could try asking them what they liked- but they might not answer. Always be prepared to either disregard these critiques or just take them as a slightly effortless form of flattery. Your title and opening sentence must have been pretty spiffy.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:23 am
View Likes
Swires says...

Really nice article, it will be helpful when I come to crit.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:12 pm
View Likes
Gazza_14 says...

Very helpful and very funny, even if you did make me realise i always to the vague critiques.
You also forget the other way to react to a bad crit though, shout "Oh God i'm hopeless, i've fooled myself into thinking i can actually write." And then you just bang your head ona hard surface, preferably computer monitor. That's my way!
Stop. Look. Jive!

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Yes, I am sometimes aq vague critiquer also, I really need to get back into the swing of long crits.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:58 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahaha... before I even read a critique, I stare at the computer screen, tell myself I can't write and that these people are just trying to help me, and then read it.

...I have a confidence problem. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:01 pm
View Likes
David Guinness says...

Well written. Helpful to the critic and the criticized.

I'll have to keep these in mind... :)
David Guinness

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 pm
View Likes
Misty says...

Nice, Sam. Haha. I remember this one girl from a different folder who wrote "It was great post more soon!' to absolutely EVERYTHING. And it was like

Once she wrote that on someone's "officially leaving the site" post.

She was exposed. Except I was the only one who noticed...:P

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:49 am
Sam says...

:lol: Was that a RealKids moment?

...I seem to remember something similar happening.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:34 pm
View Likes
xanthan gum says...

Ah, the Ditzy Critique. Every time I get one of those, I die a bit inside.
Carpe Diem.

493 Reviews

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:29 pm
View Likes
Misty says...

HAHAHAhahahaha...yeah lol

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:09 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

xanthan gum wrote:Ah, the Ditzy Critique. Every time I get one of those, I die a bit inside.

I just eat kittens. More protein, in any case...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

493 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:11 pm
View Likes
Misty says...

*laughs* it WAS on RealKids...remember Mallory?

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown