z

Young Writers Society

Problems with Character Development

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 pm
Starhunter says...

I have a question, because this seems to happen to me a lot....

What do you do if you've planned a story a certain way, and it sounds really good, but then you start writing it and as you write your characters develop in such a way that it will make the ending you planned unfeasible?

So frustrating....!
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 pm
Kale says...

I change the ending.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:14 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I let it happen that way.

That is a good sign for character development. It means the characters are developing themselves, and you're getting a deeper understanding of how they interact.

It's why I always just have a general idea for the ending, and never get too attached to them. They'll change. xD
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm
Sins says...

I agree with Rosey. In reality, when things don't go exactly the way you planned, it's usually a good thing. Like she said, it shows that the characters are developing themselves which, in my opinion, is always way better than forcing development onto them.

It happened with my last novel actually. I'd planned the ending, but as I got closer to it, I realised that the way I'd planned it just wasn't realistic for my characters. No way would they have behaved like I'd planned for them to in the ending I'd originally came up with, especially one of them. As a result, I just changed the ending so that it fitted my characters' true personalities, and now it's far better and far more realistic than it would have been if I'd stuck to the original plan.

Basically, embrace the fact that things are going a little off track!
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:54 pm
Starhunter says...

Okay! Thanks for the advice! :)
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria