z

Young Writers Society

I need help.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm
LosPresidentes says...

Its not exactly obvious, but I really don't know my way around a piece of paper.
Most of my writing and poetry is just, something that pops into my head.
Usually an emotional description of events.

eg. topic88712.html
eg. topic88748.html
I quit

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:53 pm
Audy says...

What exactly do you need help in? I read your poems and I don't find them bad in any way. You handle rhyme very well and both of your poems have a good meter, style, and closure. So I would say that you know your way more around a piece of paper than you think ;) I especially loved your revised version of Goodbye Blue Yonder.

What exactly is it that you're looking for out of your work? I always find that the best way to go about writing poetry is to read it, read good poetry. Read poetry you like. You don't even have to read poems. You can read lyrics or listen to music or read your favorite book, but always pay attention to what works and what doesn't and it's perfectly okay for you to mimic your favorite author and experiment to come up with new forms or new styles to try out.

I'm sorry if I didn't say anything specific or wasn't much help. But feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

- Audy

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:48 pm
Tenyo says...

Some people go their whole lives writing masterpieces from 'something that just popped into my head.' I get what you mean though. Those little inspirations are wonderful little things.

The inner muse is like a rebellious horse. That's poetry for you right there XD Once in a while it will take you on a journey that is more aazing than anything you've ever done before. Most of the time, though, it just stands around eating and pooping.

There are excersises you can do to practice taking control of your inner muse. Thinks like free writing (writing whatever comes to mind) or speed writing (writing so fast you don't have a chance to think) are great ways of taking the reigns. Once you take control of it, you decide when you want to take it out for a ride, where it will go and what it will do, rather than waiting around for it to come to you as it pleases.
We were born to be amazing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 pm
Rosendorn says...

If nobody is complaining, then you're probably doing fine. Not everybody will like your work, of course, and if you feel that you aren't "getting" it, then start learning. Analyze other pieces of writing. Go out and review in depth. Just start thinking about what you consider good and not.

That's really why YWS is here, after all. If you want somebody to rip your work apart, start looking in Will Review for Food for poetry reviewers. Ask a few of them for critiques and see if you want to apply their advice. If you tell them what to look for, it will help them help you.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory