z

Young Writers Society

Sweetie!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 am
Snoink says...

What pet names are used for women? As endearment, that is? :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

11 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 11
Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:34 am
View Likes
Sgt. Salt says...

darling, baby, honey/hun.

And of course Pookie. Pookie pookie pook! Teehee!

And thus I end my points drought.
There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

<3 Oughta got rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me! <3

Sarge: Ho, ho, ho... dirtbag.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:49 am
dele24 says...

Oh my goodness, this just made me remember the 'pantry afternoon' that we had before my friend got married.We had to call each other by these pet names we had on name tags and if we messed up and called the person by there real names we lost one of our stars. The person with the most stars at the end of the afternoon won and I ended up with one less than the winner. Anyway, I had to be Bunnikins! :? :roll:

Ok, random story over :P What about angel, kitten, petal, snookums or pumpkin. I think thats all I can remember. Oh and sugar of course.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:14 am
Swires says...

Baby
Honey
Chickpea
sweetpea
sugar
chick
chuck
doll
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:46 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

Sweetheart
Love
Dear
Dearheart

the list goes on and on... I mean, I have a relative that calls her husband her "Precious Frogpuss", so you can make just about anything a term of endearment.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:50 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I'd think of darling or sweetheart first of all, but how about using foreign words? I mean, I sometimes like to call Ian "mein Schatz" which is German, and Ian's used French before. I think the best way is to ask people who actually use names, even your parents if they use terms of endearment. Looks like you have a pretty long list at the moment, but some look more American than English, I think. My auntie used to call her boyfriend Leiby 'cause his surname was Leibrandt, so you can just shorten names or make them end with "y" or "ie" a lot of the time. Sometimes, terms of endearment might even sound insulting if used by someone else, though I can't think of any offhand.

Also, you might want to bear in mind that they aren't always complete synonyms - for me, darling is much better than baby. If someone called me baby/hot/doll, I would probably be sitting there wishing they would go away. Certain terms are much more affectionate than others.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I'd add "beautiful" to all the other things people have said.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:15 pm
Torpid says...

sweetness
chica lol
gal
gorgeous

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:00 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

WHat a few other people have said about personalised endearments is probably the only thing I can say. I mean, I get "Lucy pops" from reletives a fair bit (repeat that and face a long slow death). I've never really had a guy call me that sort fo thing, so I don't really have many ideas. There's possum ... and ... that's just about all I can think of.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon May 01, 2006 1:55 am
Poor Imp says...

I suppose this is any form? Endearments are so...idiomatic. Are you looking for something more formal, American, British, slang? ...Or is that all rather irrelevant?

...See if I repeat some...hopefully not too many.

• girl
  • babe
  • angel
  • cheri
  • darling
  • dear-one
  • doll
  • heart/dear heart/my heart
  • dove
  • muffin
  • pet
  • princess/my queen
  • boo/beau
  • love
  • lady mine
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Also, inside jokes provide good names sometimes. For instance, I'm Turtle and Skittle Pirate, while he's Snake and Mr. Math. Otherwise, there's cutie, sweetheart (he called me Dulcinea a few times, which alludes to Man of La Mancha and pretty much means sweetheart), kid (another one of his commonly used names for me), etc.
Love and Light

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon May 01, 2006 3:43 am
Areida says...

Well, naturally, one of my requirements for a boyfriend is that he call me "Goddess Divine." I mean, really. What else is he going to call me?

...And no, I haven't been single for three years.

:P

Just kidding.

I think they have most of the general ones covered, but like Crys and El said, some of the best nicknames are random and/or come from the name of the person. Pet names make me happy. They're either so adorable I have to grin or so ridiculous I get to laugh at them, so either way it's all good.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

11 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 11
Mon May 01, 2006 5:29 am
Sgt. Salt says...

"Baby-doll", "baby-girl", basically anything with "baby" in front of it.

That plus "sweetie-pie" and "honey-pie." :whistle: :smt020
There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

<3 Oughta got rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me! <3

Sarge: Ho, ho, ho... dirtbag.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 pm
Mattie says...

Personally, I hate "pet names". They annoy me to the fullest extent. Often when I read, I get stuck on that word so I'm like, hating that the writer used it. Unless of course, it's something along the lines of having to use it with your writing or time frame. Like Buffy for example. Spike says, "love" and "pet" often. Now when he does it, it's really sexy...:) He's British though so it makes sense, but normal people? Eh.
Get my point? But, there are TONS of different names that were listed.

...Goddess Divine...

Perhaps reading Pride and Prejudice, Areida? :) I love that last part...

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon May 01, 2006 10:19 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Mattie wrote:Personally, I hate "pet names". They annoy me to the fullest extent. Often when I read, I get stuck on that word so I'm like, hating that the writer used it. Unless of course, it's something along the lines of having to use it with your writing or time frame. Like Buffy for example. Spike says, "love" and "pet" often. Now when he does it, it's really sexy...:) He's British though so it makes sense, but normal people? Eh.
Get my point? But, there are TONS of different names that were listed.

...Goddess Divine...

Perhaps reading Pride and Prejudice, Areida? :) I love that last part...

Wait...British people aren't normal?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

You'd better wise up, Pony... you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.
— Dallas Winston, The Outsiders